IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The "merger" of the ECA and NICEIC.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 December 2012 06:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 December 2012 06:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

Just readind the Electrical Times having received a hard copy through the post.

The new "Electrical Registers" are discussed sensibly by Rodney Jack and his team of journalists, with no obvious bias either way.

Emma and her mates are claiming the sheer might of the new union will win through with "The Electrical Safety Register" on page six

However then I read the article on page four Headed "News in brief" and "ECA cuts reliance on insurance schemes", you can read it all for yourselves through the link above, the gist of it is the ECA statnds to lose at least £ 26m through bad investments in the Lloyd's Insurance market.

Hmmm!

Andy
 30 December 2012 06:35 PM

whjohnson

They can do what they like - it won't affect me since I have never joined, nor will I ever join any of em.

Better things to stick my hard-earned into than that lot.

Happy New Year to all.

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 30 December 2012 07:48 PM

Jaymack

It's so sad to bear witness to this fiasco, we have grown men and at least one woman, who are behaving like school kids and hanging out their dirty laundry. I think that NAPIT is being given the cold shoulder unnecessarily, and it's obvious that no effort was made by the others, to present a common front in the interests of the public, ........ and the great unwashed who keep them in their positions.

"Our suggestions to Clive Betts, MP, following a series of meetings was that we need develop a roadmap that says individuals, not just companies, should be part P registered. At present the industry isn't willing to work together". Andy Sharp, NAPIT.

"At a meeting held on 6 December, NAPIT invited Benchmark, BSI, OFTEC and STROMA to become trustees of the register to shape the future of ElectricSafe".

"We invited the ECA and NICEIC to attend the meeting to discuss the possibility of becoming trustees, but they declined our invite".

Just days after the ElectricSafe launch, the ECA (ELECSA), and the ESC (NICEIC) announced a joint venture to progress standards in the electrical contracting industry, under which they created a register of competent "installers" (my italics) - the Electrical Safety Register.

Human nature at it's ugliest!

Regards
 31 December 2012 12:16 AM

whjohnson

The most pragmatic and cost-effective solution would of course, to be to dissolve the whole thing altogether and to rescind the 'Controlled Service' legislation which applies to electrical supplies in the UK.

Oh, and whilst we are at it, we may as well leave the EU and save a shed-load of public money as regards the so-called setting/re-setting/'harmonisation' of so-called 'standards' too.

Perhaps after this, we may be able to revert to a scenario whereby something like the NICE was a voluntary indicator of high standards rather than the sham that it, and it's NAPIT/ECA et al, cohorts have become.

Bring back the 1970s environment and let us have our own BRITISH STANDARDS.
None of the BS-EN rubbish - JPEL64 or whatever it calls itself these days, has just become a refuge for the otherwise unemployable non-job eurocrat of whatever nationality, and It is high time that this self-serving 'club' was dispensed with altogether.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 31 December 2012 10:25 AM

tomgunn

To be honest - what good has come out of this part P thing? I feel its just confused many and conned the others, ( not forgetting the rest that are both unaware of what it actually is as no real public info has been put out there ), into thinking that our electrical system in this desolate, and impoverished, land would be improved. Whatever anyone says its just has not worked as the Polish and other Euro rabble plus the dodgy sparks here have just gone underground. In any world - politics and common sense never are a good mix.

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.