Topic Title: Meter change
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 December 2012 10:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 December 2012 10:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

blokes

I have a job where a new extension has been built and a new outside meter box has been fitted. The meter will be moved from inside the house to the new meter box but the consumer unit will remain in the same postion and has a 30mA RCD installed.
The builder onsite has run a duct (approx 25m0 from the new meter box position around the back of the property to the postion of the Consumer Unit.
Am I right in thinking that I can use an SWA cable glanded at both ends to supply the existing board? if so what size and would I need an RCD?
 28 December 2012 11:03 PM

daveparry1

As long as it's not a TT system it won't require an rcd but it will need a switch-fuse where it leaves the meter, (assuming it's more than 3 metres away)

Dave.
 28 December 2012 11:26 PM

leckie

OP says 25m, doesn't give earth system type and no details of load. Then asks for a cable size. Need a lot more info to answer that question
 29 December 2012 10:22 AM

colinhaggett

Originally posted by: daveparry1

As long as it's not a TT system it won't require an rcd but it will need a switch-fuse where it leaves the meter, (assuming it's more than 3 metres away)

Dave.

The switch fuse can't go in the same meter box, so will need two meter boxes. Hope it's a big duct without to many bends!
 29 December 2012 10:29 AM

colinhaggett

Would think your be looking around a 35mm SWA really depends on load. Must be quite a large house to have 25 metres of duct.
 29 December 2012 11:33 AM

Grandfortune

Originally posted by: colinhaggett

Dave.

The switch fuse can't go in the same meter box, so will need two meter boxes. Hope it's a big duct without to many bends!

Why can't it go in the meter box , done it hundreds of times
 29 December 2012 11:55 AM

alancapon

Originally posted by: Grandfortune
Why can't it go in the meter box , done it hundreds of times . . .

That will depend on the supplier / DNO.

In a lot of cases the contract between the property owner and the supplier / DNO will say that "the meter box is provided for the sole and exclusive use of the supplier / DNO to provide a supply of electricity. Customer owned equipment must not be fitted in the meter box". With the coming of the smart meters, there is likely to be an "eviction" of customer equipment from meter boxes in some cases to accomodate the necessary interfaces to allow remote reading of water and gas meters as well. The meter also operator needs sufficient space to fit a second "check" meter in the event of bill queries, and the DNO may need space to fit an extra cutout temporarily to cope with some network faults. This is in addition to the space already required for the DNO's cutout, the meter operator's meter and any required teleswitch / timeclock for the tariff.

Regards,

Alan.
 29 December 2012 12:46 PM

colinhaggett

No chance where I live. They would make you move it before installing the meter and cut out.
 29 December 2012 01:05 PM

alancapon

I agree. My employer would not connect the supply if there was customer's equipment in the meter box.

Regards,

Alan.
 29 December 2012 01:18 PM

daveparry1

Why can't it go in the meter box , done it hundreds of times
------------------------
Same here Grandfortune, can't say i've done it hundreds of times but certainly several times without any complaints. The way I see it is that it's the supplier that requires the switch-fuse due to the long tails so why should they complain about it going in their meter cupboard? Thinking about it further, it's probably the customers cupboard anyway! ( I know the actual meter board may not be)

Dave.
 29 December 2012 11:14 PM

Grandfortune

yes very strange, there are literately 10s of thousands of property's with 6 way Wylex boards in the meter cupboards with the meters where i live(shropshire). good luck in asking all them to move them out.
 31 December 2012 12:36 AM

whjohnson

Blokes-

No offence, but why do you not just cut the bloody seals, fit the new isolator and uprate the fuse.
It's about a 30 minute job at most, and would most certainly have taken less than half the time it has taken you to both ask the question and wait for, read the responses.

The message is obvious.
Expect no help by trying to go through the official channels.
The method is only there to pay lip service.

Just cut the seals, fit the isolator and swap out the fuse.

It's amazing how many seals were 'not there when I arrived Guv'.

If you are challenged, get em to prove it.

Alancapon resides and works on an island where there are fewer installations and it is easier to police, but on the mainland things are much different.

I have had one instance where, given the dangerous state of the earthing at the supply intake, I was formally told off for not removing the supply fuse until their guy arrived.

After this, I have no compunction in pulling supply fuses without authorisation unless the cut-out/supply cable looks really dodgy.

Having spent 25 years working in heavy industry, both on HT switching, and on 3 phase supplies fused at 800A or more, I do find it mildly amusing when the domestic guys whittle about pulling a humble 100A cartridge fuse!

I know its not a dick-swinging exercise, and that a 1A BS1362 can kill, but please, get a grip! Adopt a common sense approach (Oh, for those of you who do not know what common sense is; because it is no longer taught, I will translate into modern-speak - Risk Assessment/method statement)

If the cut-out is plastic/modern-looking (grey plastic!) then you won't go far wrong.

If it's metal/cast-iron, then think again. You can still do it but be bloody careful.
Best thing is to get the customer to call the emergency number on the back of their bill/statement, and to tell the supplier that 'their electrician has been round and said there's no proper safety earth.'

I have a pre-prepared script for this. All the customer has to do is read it out over the phone.

Within 24 hours and often quicker, we have a free PME. free isolator fits, free reseal, job done.

Now stop fretting, get the job done, and have a Happy New Year.

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 31 December 2012 10:08 AM

daveparry1

Now on this one I do agree with you WH!

Dave.
 31 December 2012 05:06 PM

colinhaggett

Classic.... Their moving the meter! how would pulling the fuse help anyone or do you do your own meter moves to?
 31 December 2012 05:17 PM

daveparry1

The OP isn't talking about moving the meter himself Colin, he's asking about running the supply from the new meter position to the original c/unit,

Dave.
 31 December 2012 05:23 PM

Grandfortune

totally agree whjohnson

a assesor who used to sit on the board that writes the regs told me to cut the fuse wire, no ever has or ever will be prosecuted for it they can prove nothing.

as for putting the DB in the meter cupboard just do it. never even heard of the DNO complaining about it. mind you i still see the stickers in the meter cupboard now stating its for there equipment only.
 31 December 2012 05:29 PM

daveparry1

I think provided it's supply equipment eg switch-fuse etc there's no problem provided there's enough room for their stuff, I reckon they just don't want to see sockets and other accessory type stuff in there,

Dave.
 31 December 2012 05:46 PM

peteTLM

Its amazing how many presumptions and jumping the point replys one question can gather. Have we all been on the ***** early today/?

The OP hasnt stated anywhere as far as i can see that they need a fuse upgrade, nor what the load is, and yet we have people suggesting pulling cast iron cutouts and changing fuses to suit what they like and running 35mm. Plain madness.

If the guy is asking about a sizing a piece of cable im sure he doesnt want to get involved with altering stuff that isnt his, and the DNO's party line is that only their stuff goes in their box, so dont lead him up the garden path without knowing what DNO he has to face the consequences with.

Come on..

Happy new year chaps and chapesses.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 31 December 2012 05:53 PM

daveparry1

That's true Pete, the OP first asked about running the sub-main and would he need rcd protection, my (very early) reply was no rcd required if swa unless it's a TT system but he would need a switch-fuse. I don't know how all this upping of main fuse size etc came about!

Dave.
 31 December 2012 05:55 PM

colinhaggett

Originally posted by: daveparry1

The OP isn't talking about moving the meter himself Colin, he's asking about running the supply from the new meter position to the original c/unit,

Dave.

I know, was referring to the post of cutting seals etc by whjohnson.

IET » Wiring and the regulations » Meter change

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.