IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: am I being greedy? £350 for 1/2 hrs work and I didn't even get any tools out
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 December 2012 01:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 December 2012 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

largelunchbox

dosnt matter if you quoted £50 or £350 ,once they accepted the cost involved then who cares if they or you or anyone else thinks it a rip off. its when you quote one cost then try and lump it up once on site that gets my goat.
 28 December 2012 05:32 PM

slittle

I would have said it was fair given the time of year.

I don't want to tempt fate but since Christmas eve my phone has been spookily quiet.

Stu
 29 December 2012 03:21 AM

Zs

First, this is not insomnia, I have just come in and still going strong. In the next life, call me Friday. I love them.

Me too Stu, I've been planning my assault on 2013 over the past couple of days and January is either pretty bleak or manic. Hopefully a design job for Martyn but he's gone away and it is unconfirmed, and hopefully a week of inspecting works for a builder....but he's been very quiet since I failed one of theirs last week (had to, it had a sorely high Ze and much evidence that it had never seen a tester).

So all round Dave's for ham sandwiches if the going gets tough?

However, one of my industry mates tells me that we should never worry about work coming in. If you book into some B&Bs and unplug the smokes, I'll come diagnose and split the profit with you.

Zs
 29 December 2012 06:57 AM

Dave69

well my January looks like it will starting slow so your B&B plan sound like a good idea Zs, but rather than unplugging detectors it would be easier to spray deodorant in them and set the alarm off, I'm only a short ass so it would save me standing on a chair to unplug them and breaking all the H&S regs, although if there is no notice in the room telling me not to stand on the chair and I fell off it I could make a claim for injuries ))
 01 January 2013 08:41 PM

Cremeegg

Had a call from a long standing customer this morning at 0800hrs - she was seen by 1030hrs - the switch to one of the FCU's I fitted last summer had stuck on. A brand that I would never normally fit but did so at her request. Six months is all it's lasted and probably only been turned on/off less than 100 times.

I printed off the charges from Pimlico Plumbers to take with me - £220 an hour for New Years Day minimum charge one hour - thereafter chargeable in 15 minute blocks with materials at cost plus 20% and VAT on the whole lot. As expected she had a fit and we agreed to negotiate later in the week as she got me four other jobs in the same block of flats that should keep me busy next week.

Pimlico would have charged £220 an hour for your Boxing Day afternoon job - plus VAT I think - so don't feel guilty. In their words "No Call-out, No Travelling, No Parking, No Congestion- No Hidden Charges.........the only plumbing and service company that has 100% transparent charges and we have a clear, upfront, open and honest pricing system.

They may be the top end of the charging range but I'm sure there are plenty worse - and people keep paying them so they must be doing something right
 02 January 2013 06:38 PM

ArthurHall

I had a marina coup years ago. I once got it up to 85 mph but had to use all three lanes of the motorway as the torsion bar front suspension was crap.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.