Increase font size
Topic Title: Part P 2013
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 December 2012 12:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 December 2012 12:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

I have a week off from the forum and come back expecting a buzz of excitement after all the build up and there's nothing, no comments, no discussion, nothing!

Part P 2013

A precis from NAPIT:

In an important change for NAPIT members, DCLG have published an updated, shorter and clearer version of Approved Document P which will come into force on 6 April 2013.

The document can be obtained as a free download from the Planning Portal website.

Note that the current version comes up at the top of the page and you will need to scroll down to find the 2013 version.

The main changes to the document are:

Section 1: Design and Installation

Reference is updated to BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No1:2011
A clarification is that installations in new dwellings formed by a change of use may need to be upgraded to current standards - in contrast to when making additions or alterations to installations in existing dwellings
There is amended guidance on accessibility (heights for sockets, switches and consumer units)

Section 2: Notifiable work

The amount of work that must be notified is reduced, with minor alteration work in kitchens and outdoors now excluded (although it must comply with BS7671)
The information about what must be notified is more clearly presented (describing what must be notified rather than just listing what is exempt)

Section 3: Certification, inspection and testing

A provision is made for the introduction of third party certification (this will not be available until the mechanism for approving individuals to carry out certification is agreed and a form of condition report suitable for this purpose is developed)

Appendices

The appendices have been reduced to definitions and reference to BS7671 (references to other standards are excluded here because they are stated in BS7671)
Copies of model BS7671 forms, diagrams showing typical installations and older types of installation have all been removed

The responsibilities of NAPIT members are not changed by this publication other than the reduced number of notifications to self-certify work against the Building Regulations which will be implemented by April 2013.

Andy
 22 December 2012 12:52 AM

sparkingchip

No mention of central heating controls then, if only they knew what I know about plumbers and wiring
 22 December 2012 09:36 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Legh

Lol, I'm just a little worried how you can get so excited about the change of CCUs from 1.2m to the same height as roomstats

I think as far as third party I&T. Has this really changed.? Since the inspector can still only issue a EICR as opposed to EIC, unless, of course that person witnesses both first and second fixing.

edit: to add, and if i remember you have to be employed by the installer to issue EICs, not sub-contracted..

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."

Edited: 22 December 2012 at 10:02 AM by Legh
 22 December 2012 10:26 AM

alancapon

It is good to see the references to BS7671:2008(2011) have at last appeared in the document after the wishy-washy comments about what standards should be used for the electrical installations. Most DNOs require compliance with the latest edition of BS7671, so it makes sense that the approved document should tell you to plan / construct to the same standard.

Regards,

Alan.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.