IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: External Sockets-To Public area's. Highways supply
Topic Summary: Reg 559.10 Requirements for outdoor supplies.
Created On: 18 December 2012 04:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 December 2012 04:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BILLYBOY65

Hi

Can anyone help please, we have come across an external town centre Power pillar which houses a 3 phase fuseboard and feeds a couple of Masterseal 13amp IP rated socket outlets, some LED lighting buried in the ground, some up lights on a steel structure and a couple of supplies to a new metal burger /cafe store.The system is TT arrangement.Fed from SWA under the ground.

Although the installation is new I have reservations of 13amp sockets being placed outside in a town centre which can be used/played with by any one of the public, I could not find a reg in 559.10 section that lists socket outlets in this environment, i thought a 16amp Blue commando socket would be more suitable, socket is protected by a 30ma RCBO by the way.

Any help appreciated

Billy
 18 December 2012 04:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

I don't see a problem with BS 1363 sockets as such - at least they have shutters over the contacts - unlike BS EN 60309 (commando) ones which you could probably get a child's finger into once the flap is opened. 13A sockets are generally considered to be safe in untrained hands (given we have them in domestics). The only precaution that comes to mind would be to use the key-locking variety to dissuade "unauthorized" use of the electricity.
- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.