Increase font size
Topic Title: Lightning Protection
Topic Summary: protection against lightning surges for domestic installations
Created On: 17 December 2012 03:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 December 2012 03:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MHIJAZI84

Hello

I am a new graduate and I am trying to help a freind. my freind has a house in cyprus and hes house is prone to lightning strikes, he wishes to know how he can protect against that. unfurtunately this is not my field of expertise I will appreciate any help.

few information about hes property its about 200 meter squared and its close to the sea, I do not know if this helps but thought it might help to mention it.

Thnaks again for your Help and Time.
 20 December 2012 01:10 PM

nickbrown500

Hello,

There is not a straight forward answer to this.

If the house itself is getting struck by lightning then to protect the house a structural lightning protection system is needed.

Also there is the addition of surge protection devices also to be fitted within the property.

For a structural lightning protection system, most companies who design these need a drawing of the house so they can calculate where earth rods/conductors need fitting.
Then they also need information of mains supplies/telecoms feeds into the property to be able to specify surge protection devices.

If equipment within the house is been damaged by surges, then the fitment of surge protection devices should stop this problem but they will not protect by themselves a direct strike to the house.
 21 December 2012 12:52 AM

peteTLM

Have a look at the furse technical manual. lots of free usefull information there. Also can be found as a download.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.