Increase font size
Topic Title: Multiple stats ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 December 2012 07:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 December 2012 07:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

goldenboy1818

In a reasonably large three storey house, it would be advisable to have more than one thermostat. How is this done and wired ? Does it require different heating zones ?
 10 December 2012 07:18 PM

AdrianWint

Probabley!

In my house, I have a room stat for each of the three floors. These stats operate zone valves which control the flow of water. All the zone values incorporate a micro switch which changes over when the valve is open. These switches are wired in parallel such that any one of then closing causes the pump to run & the boiler to fire.

Thats the basics...you can make the system as complicated as you & the plumber want it to be!

Adrian
 10 December 2012 07:40 PM

slittle

I'm fairly certain it's a requirement under building regs now to zone the heating. If RnR is about he might be able to confirm.

As Adrian has said, easy to do from the electrical side

Stu
 11 December 2012 10:50 AM

rocknroll

Originally posted by: slittle

I'm fairly certain it's a requirement under building regs now to zone the heating. If RnR is about he might be able to confirm.

As Adrian has said, easy to do from the electrical side

Stu

Sorry Field Mouse did not see this, the latest revision of Part L of the Building Regulations which came into effect on October 1st 2010 has implications for the way heating systems must be controlled.

These requirements apply in new buildings or whenever a home is extended or has a change of use and each time 'significant works' are carried out to the heating system. Although the main requirements for a boiler interlock and time and temperature control are unchanged, there is a significant new requirement; every home must be divided into at least two heating zones. These separate the living and sleeping areas and each must be capable of being controlled at different temperatures by means of a room thermostat controlling a motorised valve.

As pointed out above not a difficult job to do.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 11 December 2012 at 11:03 AM by rocknroll
 11 December 2012 11:06 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

More control over what people can do in their own homes!

Dave.
 11 December 2012 11:26 AM

Parsley

Unless you live in an open plan flat with the total living area greater than 70% of the total area, you will need at least 2 zones, if the total floor area is above 150m2 you need separate timing of each zone as well as temperature.

Regards
 11 December 2012 11:32 AM

daveparry1

So what's wrong with turning the rads. down in the areas which don't require so much heat, eg bedrooms etc. just like we've always done!

Dave.
 11 December 2012 11:36 AM

rocknroll

Whilst each zone should have its own timing and temperature control for greater efficiency 'timing' is actually optional.

regards

"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 11 December 2012 01:48 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: daveparry1

More control over what people can do in their own homes!

Dave.

Correct Dave - your CO2 emissions due to poor control of your heating system will affect the climate I have to live in

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 11 December 2012 04:12 PM

JZN

I've done this a few times now in large properties round here. I've wired as S-plan with three heating zones (one for each floor). There's a zone valve for each zone and a thermostat on each floor.

However I've only used a two channel programmer so all the heating zones come "live" at the same time, the other channel of the programmer being used for hot water.

John
 11 December 2012 05:03 PM

Parsley

If the total useable floor area is greater than 150m2, each zone should have separate timing and temp control.

Efficient appliances are one thing but reducing demand is more important.

Regards
 11 December 2012 07:23 PM

JZN

So does each zone now require separate timing or not? There seems to be some ambiguity between what Parsley says and what RnR says.

John
 11 December 2012 07:32 PM

rocknroll

Its only guidance, this can be achieved by: a. Multiple heat zone programmer; or b. A single multi-channel programmer; or c. Separate timers to each circuit. Well, you might find it hard to find a useable area of 150m2 considering a three bed house averages around 80m2 and the useable area is up to 70% LOL

regards

11 December 2012 08:26 PM

Parsley

Originally posted by: rocknroll

Its only guidance, this can be achieved by: a. Multiple heat zone programmer; or b. A single multi-channel programmer; or c. Separate timers to each circuit. Well, you might find it hard to find a useable area of 150m2 considering a three bed house averages around 80m2 and the useable area is up to 70% LOL

regards

I think you need to take another look at that RnR, homes come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm sure you're aware that just matching the requirements of part L does not guarantee compliance especially in non domestic buildings.

Regards
 11 December 2012 08:37 PM

AdrianWint

You can use muliple timers as others have said ....

Or .... the smarter digital thermostats can cope with time as well .... for example, our downstairs one is set for 21 deg from 7.00am until 9.00am when it falls to 18 deg until 15:00 at which point its back to 21 deg until 23:00. This repeats for mon, tues, wed, thurs & fri with different times/temps on sat & sun. The upstairs one is set to keep the bedrooms cooler & rises at different times.

We dont have a programmer, just the room stats. Dont even have to swtch the heating off either.... as the weather gets warmer it just runs for less & less.
 11 December 2012 09:28 PM

slittle

Almost what we've got Adrian. I don't have separate zones because it's not plumbed that way but the clever stat works really well.

Just have a single channel programmer for the water, the stat does the rest combined with TRV's on the rads.

The next stage may be RF linked TRV's if I get a chance.

Stu
 13 December 2012 11:27 PM

maximilian

you may also consider JSJS products which include wireless trv valves and wall sensor

Max

Dimmable LED bulbs
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.