Topic Title: hager - the best on the market in my opinion
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 December 2012 07:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 December 2012 07:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamieblatant

brill and there 2 series equipment fits the 3 unlike memsheild rubbish

http://www.hager.co.uk/service...n-comparison/13826.htm

-------------------------
Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 07 December 2012 07:56 PM

peteTLM

yes its good, and better than a lot more popular makes.
But.....................................Merlin gerin is in a league by itself.

Only for customers with deep deep pockets.

Not really for the domestic market though so doesnt matter most of the time with industrial and commercial.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 07 December 2012 08:30 PM

OMS

Hager isn't bad stuff - they've always been good at making it easy and low tech for installers which makes it popular.

As Pete says though, if you want good kit, reliable and well trusted in the market place, then it's MG.

As an example, we did a big roll out for a financial client recently - comms room upgrades, resiliance type packages. We looked at several pan assemblies for the 8way PDU's - all in all it was MG pan assemblies and MCB's coupled with neutral isolation terminals and shunt tripped NS compact MCCB incomers that came out on top for inclusion in the PDU manufacturers assemblies - when it's real money flowing through those servers you want good quality kit

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 07 December 2012 08:56 PM

Zs

I agree Jamie. I have been loyal to Hager for a long time. They are a bit bigger than most so sometimes space in a cupboard can be an issue. If you get to know their range it is all there. Almost anything you need in terms of timers and contactors is available for connection to a DIN rail. Have you used the tail connector yet? It is great, hooks into most of their boards to the right of the switch and makes terminating 25mm much easier.

I encountered MG just recently but not as an installer so I don't know how the kit handles from that point of view. I think the installer friendliness to be important. However, with loads of respect, I thought it looked a bit cheap. The test results were fine.

I wish I had started to do so sooner but for the last few months I have been keeping the little spirit level that comes in the bottom of the hager domestic DBs. I have them in a tiny shot glass along with my 1955 sixpence from Brian May (a guitar pick, we share the same guitar tech). When there are enough spirit levels I shall get them made up into a wrist band like the links bracelets that look like fuses and use the sixpence as a clasp. But I have a way to go for that yet.

In 12 years I have only had one hager RCD go soft and present problems. No MCBs and no main switches.

On domestic, I am currently paying about £70 + vat for a Hager 12 way split including 10 breakers, 1 main switch and 2 RCD.

Zs

Rubbish grammar. Sorry, I'm tired out but the heart is still in the right place.
 07 December 2012 09:16 PM

OMS

However, with loads of respect, I thought it looked a bit cheap. The test results were fine.

I think that's the colour though - it's bloody awful -

I suspect there's more than a bit of subliminal messenging going on when it comes to deciding what is good and bad when it comes to metal boxes-

I wonder if they'd benefit from a good paint job -

Regards

OMS

07 December 2012 09:32 PM

jamieblatant

Don't get me wrong if I was decking out a data center or a bank (as i have ) I would use merlin g (or Schinder as it is now ) every time as its the top gear ,crap colour mind but the best , especially if you using hardened supply's with generators and ups ect

but for the medium sized commercial and down to the garden shed DB hager is the one great innovation and ease of fitting and good price

and to honest there modular range of funky devices like timers and contractors is ace looks good in and saves money on bespoke panels and that's from a company that has a panel shop

This trunking thingy is very well thought out as it the tails connection mentioned by zs it's standard order item for us when we order a board now

07 December 2012 09:35 PM

OMS

For sure - it's not bad kit - and they make it easy for installers as I said

Regards

OMS

07 December 2012 09:39 PM

Zs

Originally posted by: OMS

I'm hanging up the brushes again after next week and anyway, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

And the real reason I am replying to that? Oi OMS, if you are still on line I know that it means you are still at work. Tell them to get lost and go home pal. Euston to Wales is a long way.

Zs
 07 December 2012 10:01 PM

leckie

See oms. I told you so and so is Zs!

Hager;
Domestic stuff very good indeed.

TPN stuff Ok but not great. Bit flimsy. Try fitting a tpn board full of rcbo's and you will see what I mean. You will have a job getting the lid on. MG or MEM are better IMO. Hager bits and bobs are very good though, timers, etc. Tebis system is very reliable.

Very good tech help if you get the right contact though
 07 December 2012 10:10 PM

dg66

Merlin(schneider) is about the best you can get,although the reverse phasing on the panel boards catch out most sparks.

Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 07 December 2012 10:35 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: Zs
When there are enough spirit levels I shall get them made up into a wrist band like the links bracelets that look like fuses and use the sixpence as a clasp.
Zs

Best place for them.
If I'd relied on it rather than my Stabila level for the unit I've just installed it would have been way out.
 07 December 2012 10:53 PM

leckie

Are you on the level Mike?
 07 December 2012 11:53 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: leckie
Are you on the level Mike?

I entered into the spirit of things and gave it a try but it was pi**ed.
 08 December 2012 12:58 AM

Legh

However, with loads of respect, I thought it looked a bit cheap. The test results were fine.

I think that's the colour though - it's bloody awful -

I suspect there's more than a bit of subliminal messenging going on when it comes to deciding what is good and bad when it comes to metal boxes-

Regards

OMS

Yes,I agree Magnolia with a yellow tinge. What were they thinking of.?
Absolutely, housing association. and my mother's favourite colour scheme, except when she went Indian flock silver wall paper with an Indian mustard coloured carpet. I nearly threw up ?

Generally, good boxes, lots of accessories, easy to work with

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 08 December 2012 10:46 AM

OMS

Originally posted by: Zs

I'm hanging up the brushes again after next week and anyway, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

LoL - that's no reason not to charge a healthy fee trying though

And the real reason I am replying to that? Oi OMS, if you are still on line I know that it means you are still at work. Tell them to get lost and go home pal. Euston to Wales is a long way.

OK, OK, - needs must where the Devil drives - you know how the beat goes - and it isn't 12 bar blues for sure. I'll be back in God's country in time for prayers -

Ta, for getting the hanky out though

Zs

08 December 2012 10:53 AM

jamieblatant

Memsheild 2 was excellent but the fact that every time they change there range they shaft there customers by not supporting there old MCB range immeditly

08 December 2012 08:22 PM

Martynduerden

MG every time.

At least the upgrade in board finish means the labels now stick though the colour is not beautiful it is more friendly to viewed office walls than previously.

The only criticism of the MGBN boards I have is side space - I wish they did an extension enclosure for the sides like the Panel boards.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 08 December 2012 08:39 PM

slittle

My first choice is MEM (even though the mcb's don't fit new/old) then MG then Hager apart from one site where everything is Hager,

To be honest between the three of them I don't think there is much difference. They all have good and bad points.

I don't like the lump of plastic that fits around the incomer on the new hager invicta boards because it never seems to fit properly (maybe it's me).

I'm not a fan of the Square D switch fuse disconnectors either. There seems to be too much metal and not enough protection (only a little bit of plastic between you and a big flash) once the door is open. It's always MEM exel or glasgow for them with me probably because apart from the ACM issues inside the old ones they still operate as good as they did 30/40 years ago where we've got them on farms.

I see Eaton have released a 3 phase RCBO to fit the MEM 3 boards as well which could be handy and save a lot of extra work.

Stu
 08 December 2012 09:31 PM

DOUGIE1000

Hager love it, used it for years. Like the clear 3ph boards

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 08 December 2012 10:33 PM

leckie

As I said, try getting the lids on tpn boards when using rcbo's. Not enough room. Ok with mcbs though
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.