Increase font size
Topic Title: NICEIC dictating what software can used now
Topic Summary: Bring it on!
Created On: 04 December 2012 03:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 December 2012 03:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jsa986

Just a had a message form an undisclosed source saying that the NICEIC said as a registered contractor they weren't allowed to use iCertifi or use the NICEIC logo for producing electrical certificates. Not because of compliance issues as all certs are based on BS7617 etc etc, but presumably because there software is sh1te!

This obviously flies in the face of the thousands of NICEIC contractors that use it on a daily basis

So since when did being with the NICEIC mean you can only use there certificates. Is this restrictive business practice?

Anyway I shall now be updating the screen shots with the NICEIC logo emblazoned on the on one of the certs, further to thatI I also now own the domains

www.niceic.tk
www.electricalsafteyregister.tk

All of which point to my own domain www.icertifi.co.uk

-------------------------
www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 04 December 2012 03:47 PM

AJJewsbury

www.niceic.tk

Are the Tokelauans that bothered about part P etc? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T...#Internet_domain_names )
- Andy.
 04 December 2012 03:54 PM

AJJewsbury

I could see that they could claim copyright on the logo - hence no-one could reproduce it without their permission.
- Andy.
 04 December 2012 04:05 PM

John Peckham

I can understand the NICEIC forbiding software companies from using their logo on those companies products. However NICEIC approved companies can insert the NICEIC logo on to the forms of any origin. I would not want to see forms and software appearing with the NICEIC logo on them as they will be purchased by criminals to use when passing themselves off as NICEIC approved companies.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 04 December 2012 04:09 PM

impvan

Surely as a registered contractor you have paid to use the logo for any purpose covered by your registration. I'm sure you could tattoo it to your buttocks if you so desired (AND wanted to stay a member forever).

Or are the NIC so hell-bent on taking over, that in their eyes there's no such thing as an Electrical Certificate; there's only the 'NICEIC Certificate ®'

They are fast becoming the McDonalds of the registration bodies.
 04 December 2012 04:16 PM

John Peckham

"I'm sure you could tattoo it to your buttocks if you so desired (AND wanted to stay a member forever). "

Be assured if you were to do that and then leave the NICEIC they would definitely want their pound of flesh!

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 04 December 2012 04:30 PM

normcall

Just the one?

Norman
 04 December 2012 06:05 PM

jsa986

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

www.niceic.tk

Are the Tokelauans that bothered about part P etc? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T...#Internet_domain_names )

- Andy.

Highly unlikely that they are however neither are the americans(.com webpages),

www.icertifi.co.uk
 04 December 2012 06:13 PM

jsa986

Obviously they are trying to generate more money by selling there own branded products while masquerading as electrical safety champions, something we have know for the longest time. Talking of there products this sums it up nicely

http://cl.ly/image/1j1m1J07111r

www.icertifi.co.uk
 04 December 2012 06:17 PM

sparkiemike

I am sure it is as John states

I having a quick look at the NICEIC website their Making your mark - Conditions for use of NICEIC registration and certification marks document it states the following.

Use of Certification Marks

The NICEIC Certification Marks may be used anywhere, except in situations which relate to services not covered by NICEIC confirmed scope of work. The Marks may be used on:
. stationery
. advertising
. flags
. vehicles
. primary and secondary packaging
. window stickers
. boundaries
. signs
. labels
. corporate clothing
. certificates of conformity

The conditions for use of the NICEIC Certification and Registration Marks in this leaflet summarise how the marks may be used by either NICEIC Approved Contractors or Domestic Installers. Both are encouraged to make use of the relevant marks, but particular care should be taken to ensure the conditions for use are complied with.

So it looks like your software company can't use the mark, but NICEIC DIs and ACs can. Much like Microsoft can't use the NICIEC logo, but there is the facilty to import the image I have downloaded to the speadsheets I use for my certificates.
 04 December 2012 06:28 PM

perspicacious

"Just a had a message form an undisclosed source saying that the NICEIC said as a registered contractor they weren't allowed to use iCertifi or use the NICEIC logo for producing electrical certificates. Not because of compliance issues as all certs are based on BS7617 etc etc, but presumably because there software is sh1te!"

Not quite sure how many of your customers want to certify Plastics-coated fabrics for upholstery. Specification for PVC-coated knitted fabrics ............

Regards

BOD
 04 December 2012 07:00 PM

jsa986

Ahhh! my typing! thanks BOD ;-)

@Sparkie Mike, iCertifi uses no logos at all it simply allows the facility for the user to import whatever image they want onto the certificate, no copyright issues that way.

www.icertifi.co.uk
 04 December 2012 07:14 PM

sparkiemike

Well then, unless you hear directly from the NICEIC carry on as normal
 04 December 2012 09:24 PM

impvan

Not quite sure how many of your customers want to certify Plastics-coated fabrics for upholstery. Specification for PVC-coated knitted fabrics

Kryten 1, Rimmer 0
 04 December 2012 11:04 PM

jsa986

Sparkle mike I would regardless if I heard from them or not, the issue is them now trying to tell there members what they can and can't use to certify the installations. They seem to be a law unto themselves. Imagine if the likes of NAPIT hadn't come along!

www.icertifi.co.uk
 05 December 2012 12:24 AM

Legh

Originally posted by: John Peckham

"I'm sure you could tattoo it to your buttocks if you so desired (AND wanted to stay a member forever). "

Be assured if you were to do that and then leave the NICEIC they would definitely want their pound of flesh!

Lol, Don't you mean 'they'd be after your ar**e !'

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 05 December 2012 12:28 AM

impvan

For all the NIC trumpet on to the public about 'prosecuting rogue electricians', the cases i've read about were prosections for 'passing off' , i.e. trademark infringement.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.