Increase font size
Topic Title: Save Southern Electric museum of Electricity
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 December 2012 10:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 December 2012 10:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NovusSparkus

Anyone who has visited this place will appreciate what a valuable resource it is, as well as being an interesting and free way to spend an afternoon. Unfortunately it is being closed indefinitely because it "does not fulfil its visitor needs and has restricted disabled access".

You can read the whole article from the Bournemouth Daily Echo here:
www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10086090.Christchurch_s_Museum_of_Electricity_closes_its_doors/

and sign the petition to keep it open here:
http://www.activism.com/en_GB/...-of-electricity/40995
Thank you.
 04 December 2012 02:46 PM

joepostle

I've been to the museum a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I appreciate the point about the upstairs, although there is plenty to see and the theory is put across in a simple yet fun way. I really like the 132kv/33kv/11kv substation at the front of the museum which is labelled-up explaining what it does and the area it serves.

A faculty like this can't cost much, in relative terms and serves a good outreach.
 04 December 2012 04:11 PM

John Peckham

i have been there and I think it is a very interesting and informative place. So disabled access is poor so shut it so no one can get in that's equal opportunities at its finest!

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 04 December 2012 07:22 PM

NovusSparkus

According to the local paper it would cost "a seven figure sum" to make the relevant changes to the building, which seems a lot to me. Judging by the comments at the bottom of the article it is not just those associated with the industry who would miss out if this attraction were closed - the museum proved a great tourist attraction for people from all backgrounds.

A lot of people simply didn't know it was there; because of their somewhat unconventional opening hours I only managed to visit once, for about an hour, which simply wasn't enough time to take everything in.
 04 December 2012 09:32 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: John Peckham

i have been there and I think it is a very interesting and informative place. So disabled access is poor so shut it so no one can get in that's equal opportunities at its finest!

They might as well shut cadburys world as well. The tour around the factory is an assault course of levels and flights of steps, but i dont see any propaganda about that?

The museum should stay open.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.