Increase font size
Topic Title: CRB checks
Topic Summary: A suitable and honourable method of aviodance - and off topic
Created On: 01 December 2012 10:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 December 2012 10:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Legh

Good evening chaps,

I thought I'd approach this forum on the above topic since I beleive you will have an honourable solution....

Does anybody know how I can avoid yet another CRB check.
Just to give you a little more information.
I have had four CRB checks done over the last 4 years, one of which is held, I believe, by the last educational establishment I worked with, and hold a level 2 safe guarding certificate (a bit like scs card, but for educational institutions)

Now each of these CRB checks cost £54.00 and I'm obliged to send original personal documentation through the post neither of which I'm happy about parting with.

Suggestions to possible options would be appreciated.

My thanks in advance....

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 01 December 2012 10:39 PM

impvan

Well they're a bit like an MOT - only really valid on the day they're done. My understanding is that they don't expire, and that it's up to the individual organisation as to how often they want to see them refreshed. It also appears that each organisation can request its own CRB checks - for example, if you have one done for working with the Scouts, it won't cover you to work in a school.

If you suspect you're being asked for one which they already hold for you, i'd be throwing the 'Data Protection' card into the ring, wanting to know where was the record of your existing one, given the personal nature of the thing.
It's what my missus did when the outfit she works for (vulnerable adults) was due an Investors In People audit - suddenly everyone was supposed to get fresh CRB's. Given some CRBs were only a year old and the firm has a 5 year refresh interval, shouting "Data Protection" is the only thing that made the office-wallahs pay any attention to the 100-odd staff which were going to be out of pocket.
 01 December 2012 11:12 PM

Legh

Thanks for the info Impvan,

I forgot about the Data Protection Act. This is very useful information.
The company says that its of paramount urgency that I send them all this info. and also states that its a statutory obligation. There seems to be be a wanting lack of joined up thinking between the various bureaucratic establishments.

Thanks again.

I just wonder where all these £54.00 go to ?

Legh

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 02 December 2012 12:34 AM

peteTLM

Get a ecs/jib CRB card stands as long for as long as its valid for.

Edited to say they have no right to demand it if there are no un-supervised children with you in the same room at the same time.

if its the children route they are going down.....

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 02 December 2012 09:46 AM

daveparry1

I have what they call an Enhanced CRB check yearly and it's done by a childrens charity that I do some occasional driving for. I always have a member of their staff with me as it involves driving a mini-bus with a dozen children from Kent to Exeter so I need someone there to keep them all under control! The charity pay for the CRB check but it does seem daft that they have to renew it every year particularly as i'm never alone with any of the kids, also as said above it's only valid for that organisation, if I were to do any work elsewhere they would have to do a CRB of their own, more money for the greedy government of course!
 02 December 2012 04:24 PM

Jobbo

For all our clearance sites, we now use Scottish disclosures for all our guys, as half the price.
 02 December 2012 05:43 PM

slittle

It seems every organisation makes their own rules.

One of mine (Enhanced) hasn't been redone since the first time ( 8 years)

Another one gets done if I change position in the group

and my security clearance gets reviewed more frequently.

The whole thing is a mess although I do hear rumours about a better system in the pipeline where you have one check and "interested parties" can register an interest that then flags to them that they perhaps need to look closer.

Stu
 03 December 2012 11:20 AM

OMS

They are transferable to a certain extent - if you have one done for Group A, then Group B may accept the one done for group A - that's how we do ours for simple or enhanced CRB checking.

It gets easier, if you have other security clearance or developed vetting in place.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 03 December 2012 09:29 PM

slittle

Originally posted by: OMS

They are transferable to a certain extent - if you have one done for Group A, then Group B may accept the one done for group A - that's how we do ours for simple or enhanced CRB checking.

It gets easier, if you have other security clearance or developed vetting in place.

Regards

OMS

Providing Group A talk to Group B ;-)

Stu
 03 December 2012 09:39 PM

Legh

Mine are actually enhanced CRBs, due the type of daily exposure/contact.
I'm still waiting for the last institution to send me the copies they have on file, until then I'm in an enhanced state of unenhancement

Legh

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.