Increase font size
Topic Title: Young Drivers Insurance
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 November 2012 11:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 November 2012 11:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tattyinengland

I employ a 20 year old with a clean full UK drivers licence. He has worked for me for 4 years now since leaving school. He has held his licence for slightly over one year. He drives his own car, no accidents, no convictions.

The Van Value is £7999, a vauxhall astra 1.7 TD.

With myself as the main driver, and him as a frequent user, the LOWEST quote given so far (fully comprehensive), having spoken to 4 insurers so far this morning is £4700 - and that with an excess of £1000!

How the hell are we supposed to keep youngsters employed when we cannot get them onto the road, out and doing work for us? I will never lay him off, but I really need to be able to get him off to jobs complete with some tools and a ladder. The insurance makes this impossible.

The online quotes from Go Compare were all well in excess of £10500 per annum. Then, just to make the day even better I'm getting calls from loads of insurance companies, saying that they can beat the online quote. I'm bloody sure you can!

What I need to know is - how do other companies get young drivers out there? Surely not by paying this much insurance?
 28 November 2012 12:14 PM

johno12345

might it be cheaper for you to get another van for him? combo or something that cant be interpreted as a car like your astravan?

Agree that its ridiculous, thats a massive cost to add to someones wages
 28 November 2012 12:33 PM

unshockable

Who says the EU never does anything for us!

Looks like you need to bide your time and tell your younger sisters to sort something out PDQ.

Simon
 28 November 2012 01:24 PM

impvan

I'd be tempted to speak to your business insurers, and explain the problem to them. They might look at the 20 year-old as a 'business' risk rather than a 'motoring' risk. I had this problem when I had a landrover-based cherry picker; the insurance quotes were higher than what i paid for the picker... My PL insurer pulled in a motor policy from Gladiator for a FIFTH of what Gladiator themselves quoted.
 29 November 2012 05:18 PM

londonlec

I had that same van, and was that age (4 years ago!) and I paid around £1000 I think.

I have a Transit now with unlimited miles and pay £1300.

Try eVan, dial direct and Gladiator.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.