Topic Title: Reasons to be Cheerful
Topic Summary: and count your blessings
Created On: 27 November 2012 08:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 November 2012 05:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AncientMariner

I have just ruined my keyboard imagining six ducks on the conveyor belt going through the security x-ray at London City....

Cheers!

Clive

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 28 November 2012 06:20 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: Zs
. . . might save your fellow passangers, or is it passengers, must check that sometime, from getting hungry at the smell of them. Oh, how popular you must have been on the tube with that lot. . .

I wrapped them better this time. Last time there were some funny looks on the tube as the air actually smelled nice for a change! Also at Bank Station where I just missed a DLR train!

Regards.

Alan.
 28 November 2012 06:22 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: AncientMariner
I have just ruined my keyboard imagining six ducks on the conveyor belt going through the security x-ray at London City....

BA have a special offer where you get a free bag in the hold at the moment. I am sure that I am not the only one, but the bag is empty on the way out, and full on the way home! The first two ducks have been eaten and were very good, the rest are in the freezer!

Regards,

Alan.
 28 November 2012 10:04 PM

Zs

B6 I would have loved to pop in but was away early and not home until after nine. Likewise Big Red, so sorry I only picked up your message on the way home. It was worth the trip though, They are a chemical maufacturer and there was this huge room in the basement full of what I imagine are electroplating tanks and upstairs an equally large room full of glass jars filled with green goo, spinning on centrifuges for 24 hours at a time. Men in white coats and goggles. We are about to pull the ground floor apart and rewire for the offices. Well, not me...since 2396 at your place I am head geek/bossy boots.

DBs of course were another story... Asbestos cushions and and pfc all over the place.

I'm trying an alternative commute into the smoke tomorrow. Driving half way (ish) and trying to park at Hillingdon station. They only have 283 spaces there so the gamble is on. If it works, I will not have to change lines all the way in. If it doesn't, I'm proper stuffed. I will also be trying out the miserable attitude laced with a bit of shoving. When in Rome? Let's build a road.

Meanwhile, somewhere on the Isle of Man. A man sits at his table eating several ducks at once. As he chews, he reads a green paperback book with wafer thin pages. . .

Zs
 29 November 2012 03:50 AM

Legh

Meanwhile, somewhere on the Isle of Man. A man sits at his table eating several ducks at once. As he chews, he reads a green paperback book with wafer thin pages. . .

....careful not to cover the Indian paper pages with Chinese covered greecey fingers !

Two of the four arterial roads into and out of work were both flooded, which mean't hanging around for ages. Decided to take a short cut and ended up for about an hour in another que.
Its almost as frustrating as running out of photocopier credits whilst half way through a print run.

Well, it did give me a chance to catch up on a few missed phone calls... Did i say that?

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 29 November 2012 06:50 AM

normcall

There has been a lot in our local press about ducks on our canal (not more than 200 yds from the station) going missing. Foxes have been blamed but perhaps there is another answer.

Norman
 29 November 2012 07:12 AM

ebee

Bloomin` `eck Zs you don`t half have a varied life.
Good on yer.

Much as we like to visit London we don`t half notice the difference in attitude especially on the tube.

Us Norfs always strike up a conversation with people we dont`t know or only know by sight alone.

First time I visited the city as a lad I was gobsmaked by the sight of all those Bowler & Brolly Gents in pin striped suites - sorta John Steed lookalikes all walking at top speed .LOL

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 29 November 2012 09:24 AM

stateit

Nice sounding painting job. Shame about the company (lack of) while doing it!
My brother spent a summer some years back painting oriental rugs onto floors in Petyt place.
It's interesting what some people commission...

Having ditched town some years ago me and partner still have to pinch ourselves each morning looking out the window onto green and brown things as opposed to grey things.
The few times I've got on a train recently to London in my dusties with my tools gives me a great feeling now. As in one of relief that i'm not doing it daily. In a suit.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 29 November 2012 10:15 AM

Legh

Originally posted by: normcall

There has been a lot in our local press about ducks on our canal (not more than 200 yds from the station) going missing. Foxes have been blamed but perhaps there is another answer.

I suspect he'll be back next week for another meeting with a larger bag, now that the local Chinese takeaway know what he's up to....

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 29 November 2012 10:19 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: alancapon
The first two ducks have been eaten and were very good, the rest are in the freezer!

Reminds me of the joke about the parrot. The owner is getting lip from the parrot, he warns it "One more time and you're going in the freezer" The parrot answers "Oh go to hell".

After an hour in the freezer, the parrot has lost all it's feathers, and when let out says "What did the ducks do to upset you?"

Regards
 30 November 2012 01:37 PM

amandalewin

I moved out of London a year and a half ago and one thing I certainly don't miss is the Tube!

Here in Manchester I still have a hours commute each way but I get a seat on the Tram, people apologise if they step on your feet, and I've even striked up conversation with people who get the same time tram as me. The only downside is that when it is busy (I thought I got away from football matches but alas they have them up here too) people don't really know how to deal with it and can't properly fill up a carriage sardine style!

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 30 November 2012 02:06 PM

OMS

people don't really know how to deal with it and can't properly fill up a carriage sardine style!

LoL - "It's full, it was full 3 stops back, it's physically not possible to get another 300 people on this thing" - but it happens every day, with barely a nod of acknowledgement to your fellow miserable mass of humanity - there's nothing like it for redefining your idea of personal space, that's for sure -

OMS

Failure is always an option
 04 December 2012 01:08 AM

Gibbo101

Great post ZS, I've been browsing the forums for a while & and thought this maybe a good thread for my first post! Having lived in Auckland for a couple of years now, my better half and I are returning to good ol' Blighty next year. Now I'm probably / definitely (delete as applicable) being naively optimistic in these economic times that we live in, but I'm going to go back to what I did before and start up contracting again. I guess my reason for posting this is I've gone from working in the big smoke with 2 hour commutes each way to a more sedentary 1/2 hour drive over the Harbour bridge every morning & a fairly relaxed lifestyle. However, It's amazing how you can become institutionalised
in your surroundings, & I for one am looking forward to going back to being self employed & the vibrancy of London. (I am in my early 30's, so perhaps this makes a difference!) I also think that you will find people happy / unhappy with life no matter what their surroundings.
Cheers,
Gibbo
 04 December 2012 07:21 AM

ebee

At least it`s not as bad as sitting in the Doctor`s waiting room.
Being miserable is compulsory there

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 04 December 2012 03:42 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: OMS

people don't really know how to deal with it and can't properly fill up a carriage sardine style!

LoL - "It's full, it was full 3 stops back, it's physically not possible to get another 300 people on this thing" - but it happens every day, with barely a nod of acknowledgement to your fellow miserable mass of humanity - there's nothing like it for redefining your idea of personal space, that's for sure -

OMS

The words 'Can you move down please' are actually from Paul Danials magic book. If you speak them people get smaller allowing you space to get on

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 04 December 2012 04:48 PM

OMS

That's obviously the polite version Amanda - the alternative technique seems to resemble a vertical form of stage diving - the doors open and you just step fowards - it's like Osmosis -

OMS

04 December 2012 06:18 PM

perspicacious

"it's like Osmosis"

Best results with poor conductors

Regards

BOD
 04 December 2012 06:30 PM

OMS

They don't have conductors anymore BOD - only Oyster cards !! -

Regards

OMS

04 December 2012 06:33 PM

perspicacious

"only Oyster cards"

That would give you a lump in the throat if you tried to swallow one of those

Regards

BOD
 04 December 2012 07:19 PM

OMS

They need a bit of Mignonette garnish, BOD - or failing that a good dollop of HP sauce - you can eat just about anything with enough HP on it -

OMS

IET » Wiring and the regulations » Reasons to be Cheerful

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.