Increase font size
Topic Title: Part time degree options
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 November 2012 09:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 November 2012 09:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

L4V15

Hi chaps. Never posted on here before but after some advice.

I'm currently doing a Level 4 City & Guilds Higher Professional Diploma (HPD) in building services engineering (Electrical). I believe this sits somewhere between the well known HNC & HND courses on the qualification framework. I have a little under a year to go on this course but would like to progress and move onto degree level, maybe level 5 or 6. I know that the HPD can contribute 120 credits towards a similar foundation degree which should knock at least a year off the course.

Do people consider an electrical foundation degree a worthwhile course or is it not regarded much better than the HPD or HND? I think I would rather go and do a bachelors degree but am unsure whether I can get onto one with the HPD qualification and whether they even do a part time course anywhere? Or maybe home learning is possible? Has anybody heard of anything like this. The issue I have is that I am working full time so it would need to be part time.

The aim is to maximise my knowledge within the industry whilst I am young. Obviously I had previously completed my NVQ level 3 apprenticeship as well as 2391-10 inspection & testing and the 2391-20 design & verification.

Any advice or recommendations would be massively appreciated.

Cheers!
 25 November 2012 09:48 PM

peteTLM

Welcome L4V15
Do you do your HPD at HRC by any chance?

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 25 November 2012 10:23 PM

L4V15

Hi Pete,

No I'm further South West. DCET
 25 November 2012 11:14 PM

rocknroll

My advice to you is contact City College in Plymouth and I suspect they will advise you to do the part-time FdSc foundation degree awarded by Plymouth University, you will have enough points for this, the final year award is BSc Building Services Engineering and automatic entry into the Chartered Institute of Building, they have an excellent record and you really need to discuss this matter with them and explore the options they will have for you to revolve around your work.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 27 November 2012 10:29 AM

OMS

Alternativel I think UWE in Bristol do a BSc Hons in building services engineering - you most probably get exempt the first year - you can also study part time. I think that course is CIBSE accredited for IEng

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 27 November 2012 10:57 AM

Parsley

CIBSE also recognise the OU's MEng and MSc as being suitable for CEng registration.

Regards
 27 November 2012 08:39 PM

L4V15

Ok great, thanks. I'm going to have a look on the Bristol one now. Thanks again for all the responses and help.

Steve
 27 November 2012 08:45 PM

OMS

Track down a guy called Martin Longhurst (Faculty of the Built Environment) if UWE interests you - he'll see you get good advice.

If it's building services engineering you fancy, i suspect you'll get on with a prior exeriential learning part time based on you current points count if that helps you.

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.