IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Outdoor swimming pool area
Topic Summary: Client wants to plug in occasional lantern.
Created On: 24 November 2012 03:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 November 2012 03:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

breaker

As the title suggests this is another hare brained idea from a client.

However what if the lantern was converted to SELV the transformer located outside zone 2, additionally protected by an RCD and the flex restricted to a certain length would this is any way be acceptable.

This lantern would have to sit in zone 1 as there wouldn't be any room for it to sit in zone 2 as it would then be sitting behind a hedge.

I would be grateful for your thoughts and ideas to see if this is actually possible.
 24 November 2012 04:20 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Is he asking you to install a socket for this Breaker? If not and the socket is already there it's up to him what he plugs into it isn't it, just the same as someone plugging a hairdryer into a landing socket and then taking it into the bathroom!

Dave.
 24 November 2012 05:34 PM

Fm

Provide a rcd protected socket, and as Dave says let him plug what he wants in it
 24 November 2012 05:35 PM

breaker

Dave

Yes there is a socket outside zone 2 on cabin behind the hedge line, I see your point in that he could plug in what ever he likes but he's asking my opinion and I want to give an answer that ensures that all who use this pool can be as safe as is reasonably expected. And yes he could run a lead from the house I suppose etc. etc. but I'm not happy just saying "do what you like".
 24 November 2012 06:22 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Personaly I would advise him against using anything mains operated around the pool. Explain to him about selv equipment and that the transformer needs to be kept well away from the pool, and that only the output cable from the transformer to the lamp should be allowed anywhere near the pool. I think this is the best you can do,

Dave.
 24 November 2012 06:53 PM

breaker

Dave

Yes thanks for that I'm pretty sure he will take my advice and use SELV only, just wanted to be sure I'm going down the right route.
 25 November 2012 04:49 PM

jsa986

Put something in writing to regarding your advice to just in case

-------------------------
www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 25 November 2012 06:59 PM

breaker

Don't worry it's all in emails to his PA
 26 November 2012 04:44 PM

Delbot321

This may seem a daft question but why does he want to plug in and remove laterns (lights)?

Could the lights not be wall or post mounted - you said they were by the hedge - may be a post? you said there was a cabin - how high are these?

Just wondering if you locate the lights high enough up for them to be outside of the Zones ie above 2.5m and therefore out of reach. They could be any class of light then - still need RCD I suspect.

On a slightly different thought - if he has a pool in his gardern then he's probably not too short of a penny! Why don't he just have lights installed properly and be done with it.
 26 November 2012 07:22 PM

breaker

Ambiance!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.