Increase font size
Topic Title: Altering an addressable system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 November 2012 01:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 November 2012 01:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DOUGIE1000

got a addressable fire alarm that has been added onto few years back to add in some temp office portacabins. Few years down the line then the 6 portacabins are being removed.

Trying to find a company that is interested locally that i can sub this out to is becoming a nightmare, local BAFE company said to get ADT or CHUBB to take a look as they didnt know any other system apart from ones they have installed as new.

Am i asking too much ????

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 24 November 2012 05:24 PM

Fm

Dougie,

If you tell us the make of the panel we may be ablt tomtell you if its closed protocol or not?
 24 November 2012 07:03 PM

peteTLM

ADT, Chubb etc and 99% of other companies will want to rewire/ change the panel, tell you the existing system is rubbish etc etc.

It seems every fire alarm company thinks its acceptable to tell customers that it needs drastic changes as they have their own pet panel.
I wish i could change every consumer unit in every house before i change a lighbulb as i dont like their existing one.

I recently had a job in a brand new industrial unit, with a brand new alarm fitted. Could i get anyone to add to the system without all this rubbish, could i ££££££.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 24 November 2012 07:53 PM

robuck

Had the same problems with ADT & Chubb they want to charge to a fortune unless you have a maintenance contact. They wont give you the codes either.

Regards

Rod
 25 November 2012 12:15 AM

jamieblatant

What system ???

Or be a bit cheeky and wire them back in to the system and hide them in a room or celling void if it is a closed system like those SCUMBAGS at ADT fit you can reinstall them in the future with out them pulling your pants down

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 25 November 2012 09:52 AM

Fm

Jamie,

i wouldn't recommend doing that, how will you sign these works off? remember its a system to save people's lives and protect property, if your not competent leave it alone would be my advise.

ADT are a business out to make money, assuming it is one of there systems, they will only be too happy to take your money for altering the system. you can add your mark up so whats the problem.
blame the original designer of the building who may or may not specified closed protocol, bearing in mind there are different levels of closed protocol.
 25 November 2012 10:31 AM

impvan

A customer of mine bought a hotel with a Chubb addressable system. He had to threaten Chubb with court action to get his access codes revealed, on the grounds that it's HIS system, HE paid for it, and that Chubb were denying him the full use of something he owned.

I found the system devices were standard Apollo protocol, but couldn't work out what the panel was rebadged from....

He's also doing the same thing to get the access codes for the phone switchboard, the tv distribution headend and the boiler-room controls; all of which are owned outright by his hotel, but are locked down by secret codes.

Another customer had a cctv unit, only 3 years old, and the installer had gone bust taking his 'engineer' codes and software with him.... That unit ultimately went in the skip.
 25 November 2012 04:31 PM

jamieblatant

Fm please tell me how excessive heads in a location will make a system unsafe its actually safer as there is more detection I am a fire engineer so I can sign it off I am not suggesting you don't test them

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 25 November 2012 04:54 PM

Fm

Jamie,

Hiding detectors in ceiling voids, how will an engineer find them, i dont suppose you would then fit remote indicators, im not having a dig
The detectors will show up on the address list? But i dont think its good practice.

With regards engineer codes, they are not unique to your system, so by giving them away, could possibly affect other traders
The engineer code as you know ensures that only competent persons an alter things.
I can see both sides of the arguement by the way.
 25 November 2012 07:29 PM

DOUGIE1000

Hi all,

Unsure of make of panel make as its compleatly debadged, (will take a photo on Monday). There is many repeater panels located through the building, some very close together. I have noticed this is a full system with detectors every couple of meters in voids above ceilings in lofts, cupboards, everywhere.

As its a healthcare facility all MCP are key operated .

I'm not wanting the do the works myself just find someone that will do the works for us. I have two leads that I'll be calling on Monday.

I also have the option of taking over the ADT maintenance contract when it runs out but as we would have to undertake BAFE scheme and although our commercial fire alarm enquiries are about one a month I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to us.

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.