Increase font size
Topic Title: Electricsafe register
Topic Summary: NAPIT
Created On: 20 November 2012 03:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 November 2012 03:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Parsley

Just got emailed the following. I havent had time to follow the recent NIC ECA threads so I apologise if this has already been covered. I'm confused, bored by all this and glad I'm not involved in much domestic work.

Regards

ElectricSafe: a Recognisable Brand for ALL Competent Electricians

ElectricSafe is a new industry-wide brand and register, designed to make it easy for consumers to find registered electricians; creating a name that will be instantly recognisable to householders across the UK.

The register has been developed to give all registered electricians the opportunity to reach a wider audience than ever before.

We recognise that consumers rarely think to search for "Part P", "Registered Electrician" or even "Competent Person", and that few are aware of the Competent Person Register. ElectricSafe has been created to address these problems.

The ElectricSafe Register:
1. Is open to electricians from all Competent Person Schemes providers for England and Wales.
2. Is free of charge to any electrician who is already a member of an electrical self-certification scheme.
3. It is open to electricians already listed on the 'Electrical Safety Register'* (NICEIC, ECA, Elexsa); you can be registered on both.
4. Unlike the 'Electrical Safety Register', ElectricSafe is a single impartial brand as well as a register; a logo consumers can recognise and a name they can trust.
5. The Register looks set to make the details of your business available to a wider consumer market than ever before, through a dedicated search facility and supporting campaign of consumer-facing marketing.

We recognise that having rival schemes will only spread more confusion and do nothing to improve consumer recognition of Competent Persons. We also want to give consumers the choice to use the CPS provider that offers the best deal for them, without having to compromise on the promotion of their business. This is why ElectricSafe Register is open to members of ALL electrical CPS schemes.

ElectricSafe will build on NAPIT's campaigning at a political level and the success of our award-winning 'promotion by postcode' local newspaper campaigns - which brought the details of NAPIT Registered Electricians to millions of consumers across the UK - taking NAPIT's award-winning, consumer-focused promotion of competent electricians from a local to a national level.

*Shortly after NAPIT launched ElectricSafe, the NICEIC, in partnership with the ECA and Elecsa, launched the 'Electrical Safety Register', a rival register which excludes members of 6 out of the 9 electrical registration providers.

For more information of the ElectricSafe Register,
please visit the website at: www.electricsaferegister.co.uk
telephone: 0845 543 0353 or email: info@electricsaferegister.co.uk
 20 November 2012 04:06 PM

vesuvius

Lots of similar posts. the disparity is amazing. Last time I checked the whole of the UK was not England an Wales

Here in Northern Ireland there doesnt seem to be such a push for an electricians register, only from certain places. I myself am in favour of it but it needs to be under one body bound by law and i just cant see that happening any time soon.
 20 November 2012 04:31 PM

AJJewsbury

Last time I checked the whole of the UK was not England an Wales

True, but they're referring to competent persons schemes under part P of the Building Regulations that apply in England and Wales only. The whole of the UK is yet to be 'harmonised' on that score.

- Andy.
 20 November 2012 05:06 PM

OMS

and is probably going to be less harmonised in future once the Welsh take over building regs for Wales only - will there be a Welsh Part P - who knows -

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 20 November 2012 07:09 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: OMS

and is probably going to be less harmonised in future once the Welsh take over building regs for Wales only - will there be a Welsh Part P - who knows -

OMS

Surely - P rhan Gymreig

You appear to have spent too much time across the boarder

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 20 November 2012 07:14 PM

daveparry1

boarder
------
border!
 20 November 2012 07:31 PM

SAMJAKE

Not another stab at a closed shop affair for the chosen few.
 20 November 2012 08:01 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: Legh

Originally posted by: OMS

OMS

Surely - P rhan Gymreig

You appear to have spent too much time across the boarder

Legh

You ain't kidding there Legh - I like to think of myself as agent provocatuer for the Daffodil army - working from the inside to bring down the system as it were - -

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 20 November 2012 09:13 PM

sparkingchip

Best keep it fair and post Emma Clancy's press release courtesy of a email from the professional Electrician magazine:

"19 Nov 2012, 15:47
The announcement of the joint venture between the Electrical Contractors Association, which owns ELECSA and the Electrical Safety Council, which owns NICEIC, was made on 19th November 2012. But what does it mean for those who carry the badges of NICEIC, ELECSA and the ECA as well as the industry in general? PE found out in an exclusive interview with Emma Clancy, NICEIC chief executive officer.

PE: This is a major announcement for the industry. What exactly is happening?
EC: We're delighted to announce that the ECA and ESC are creating a joint venture company, called Certsure, which from Spring 2013 will operate the NICEIC and ELECSA brands as well as ECA assessments. As a symbol of how the partnership will deliver many benefits to the industry and the general public, ECA and ESC have launched the Electrical Safety Register, which means you can find ELECSA, NICEIC and ECA registered members in one place. We believe this will be a great benefit to those looking to specify electrical contracting work. The ECA, ESC and Certsure will work hard to promote our customers to their customers through the Register.

PE: Why have ECA and ESC partnered like this?
EC: Well, we've listened! We've listened to our customers, to government and to homeowners and specifiers of contracting work. They have all said to us that the industry is too disparate, there are too many logos and we should be working together more to promote the industry and the great electrical contractors who are registered with us.

PE: So what changes for ELECSA and NICEIC customers?
EC: Firstly, NICEIC and ELECSA customers do not need to change their vans or letterheads, their assessor does not change and they can go to their usual websites, www.niceic.com and www.elecsa.co.uk. In fact, they need not do anything. What does change is that in addition to their usual NICEIC and ELECSA registration they will also be automatically added to the Electrical Safety Register. We've sent every customer a van sticker and there are more on the secure area of our websites.

The new partnership will directly benefit the industry - we'll be able to put more money into promoting contractors to commercial customers and the public. Customers will be able to access many new and existing benefits, which we will begin to communicate over the coming months. We commit to great customer service taking the best elements of ELECSA and NICEIC. We will listen and be fair. We commit to great customer service taking the best elements of ELECSA and NICEIC. We will listen and be fair.

PE: So an ELECSA registrant can't claim to be NICEIC registered and vice versa?
EC: No, the schemes are accredited and run in parallel for now. But they can in addition use the Electrical Safety Register logo. They use their normal websites, notify work in the same way and so on. We've made this as simple as possible for our customers and simpler for people to find them.

PE: Where are you promoting the Register?
EC: We are writing to specifiers across the UK and those letters have already gone out. We will be advertising the Register in key magazines, for instance to Local Authorities and Housing Associations and promoting it to consumers in the national and local press. We will ensure that the Electrical Safety Register becomes the one place everyone can find a great electrician.

PE: Will other scheme operators have their contractors listed on there?
EC: To start with it will be ELECSA, NICEIC and ECA customers on the Register. We hope over time it will grow. Any organisation wishing to join would need to show a demonstrable support for the other organisations involved and commit to meeting a consistently high standard. I think customers of ELECSA, NICEIC and ECA as well as homeowners and specifiers would want to be reassured that high standards of assessments are met.

PE: Is this all because of what's happening to Part P?
EC: No. As I sit and talk to you, nothing has been announced by CLG on Part P. The Electrical Safety Register isn't just for domestic installers, there are NICEIC Approved Contractors and ECA members on there too. Part P is part of the Building Regulations and it's referenced on the site for householders to understand.

PE: Is this in anyway anti-competitive?
EC: No. Choice is still out there for the contractor, there is something like six other competent person scheme providers. My promise is that we will listen and be fair as an organisation and that the best of NICEIC and ELECSA will be brought together so every one of our customers feels valued. Don't forget, our revenues go towards the benefit of the industry, not for shareholders profits. And our customers can be reassured that we will promote them to their customers. The Electrical Safety Register brings them together with the backing of the ECA and the ESC. I think that's where the choice of scheme is important.

PE: Will you move to make the Register mandatory like the Gas Safe Register?
EC: There are several factors as to why this isn't possible. Firstly you just have to listen to our customers to realise how tough the economic climate is. Anything that increased costs for contractors wouldn't be right at this time. Secondly, there is no appetite at government level to do this and this was clear at the recent Select Committee on Part P. Thirdly industry needs to solve its own problems and stand united on the big issues. This is a new start to get that right, seize the initiative for electrical contractors and promote our great industry properly. "

I like this bit:

"Thirdly industry needs to solve its own problems and stand united on the big issues"

Andy
 20 November 2012 09:28 PM

sparkingchip

More from the same source:

"If you are already registered through the NICEIC (either as a Domestic Installer or an Approved Contractor) or ELECSA - or if you are a member of the ECA - nothing will change in the immediate future. Your registration remains within that scheme. Your assessor, the way you notify work, your technical helpline, complaints procedure etc... all remain exactly the same.

The added benefit which has been created is that you are also now (automatically) within the Electrical Safety Register - which will be heavily promoted to consumers and specifiers. A new logo is available for your vans, stationary etc... but you do not have to use it. All the existing logos remain valid. If you choose to sport the new logo it incorporates the logos of NICEIC, ELECSA and the ECA.

Most importantly, PE has been told that there will not be any extra cost to contractors. Certsure (who run the Electrical Safety Register) assures us that this is not a money making exercise. There are no additional books to buy, courses to attend or hidden charges through notification costs. We have also been told in some cases fees will actually be reduced!

These changes have been put into place following extensive consultation with what the industry likes to call 'key stakeholders'. That means people like you, but also other industry associations, the government, local authorities and consumer groups.

Our advice is to get on the new website www.electricalsafetyregister.com and have a good poke around. If you are a business which is now under the Electrical Safety Register make sure you are listed - and if you have any issues get in touch with your scheme provider. "

I like this bit:

"These changes have been put into place following extensive consultation with what the industry likes to call 'key stakeholders'. That means people like you, but also other industry associations, the government, local authorities and consumer groups. "

I think they need to be a bit more specific as to who these key stakeholders are, because it appears it doesn't include their own regional representatives or those attending the Round Table

Andy
 20 November 2012 10:48 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

PE: Will other scheme operators have their contractors listed on there?
EC: To start with it will be ELECSA, NICEIC and ECA customers on the Register. We hope over time it will grow. Any organisation wishing to join would need to show a demonstrable support for the other organisations involved and commit to meeting a consistently high standard. I think customers of ELECSA, NICEIC and ECA as well as homeowners and specifiers would want to be reassured that high standards of assessments are met.

Andy

Ha that's funny,

Surely they'd have to drop their standards ! I've yet to see a decent install by an niceic member company - all I see is crap work done by unskilled monkeys!

Unfortunately crap work is not limited to NICEIC there just better at promoting their members so produce a higher percentage.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 21 November 2012 12:27 PM

jsa986

Quote: "They have all said to us that the industry is too disparate, there are too many logos "

Quote: 'they can in ADDITION use the Electrical Safety Register logo."

www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad

Edited: 21 November 2012 at 01:03 PM by jsa986
 21 November 2012 12:31 PM

UKPN

--------"its just one farce after another"

Regards.
 22 November 2012 10:32 PM

sparkingchip

I think we all agree with you there, it is a farce.

Have a read of NAPIT's take on the subject.

Andy
 22 November 2012 10:43 PM

SAMJAKE

Oh dear they all lived in peace and harmony for seven years, now they want to tear each other apart and to put each other out of business.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.