Topic Title: Letter from ECA
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 November 2012 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 November 2012 06:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Martynduerden

I am delighted to inform you of an exciting development for ECA members

The electrical contractors association (ECA) which owns ELECSA and the consume charity the electrical safety council (esc) which owns NICEIC have established a joint venture company names Certsure LLP, which will own and operate the ELECSA, ECA certification and NICEIC schemes.

This unique collaboration was brought about by both bodies listening to our members, stakeholders, customers and government, all of whom wanted to see a more clearly defined synergy between the key players in the electrical industry.

Uniting our certification activities not only consolidates and reinforces our position, allowing for greater promotion of ECA members but also provides clarity for clients, specifiers, consumers and government.

Rest assured your status as an ECA member with this trade association will not only be maintained, but enhanced by this partnership. By joining forces with the ESC we can focus on what we do best and this is serving our members.

ECA membership is so much more than certification, it is certification PLUS and that PLUS is the backing of your sector trade association and the numerous services we provide: from the many helplines and advice services which enhance the smooth running of your businesses; to lobbying to secure the future of our industry; influencing technical standards; and helping you maximise the latest business opportunities.

It's partnership will bring many benefits to ECA members. The first of which six the creation of the electrical safety register:www.electricalsafetyregister.com. The register will become the definitive one stop online resource for anyone looking to find a competent electrical contractor and will eve promoted to thousands of specifiers by the ECA and the ESC.

As an ECA member, you don't have to do anything to enjoy the extra promotion which the register brings. ECA members who have been satisfactorily assessed and hold a current valid certificate of registration issued by ECA certification, ELECSA or the NICEIC for electrical installation activities to BS7671 will automatically be included on the electrical safety register. As an ECA member you will also enjoy;
Technical assessment - the same assessment regime
Assessment team - the same friendly service we know you value.

Coming soon

Deemed to satisfy - we are working towards developing a deemed to satisfy arrangement for eligible ECA members to be additionally recognised on the NICEIC approved contractor role.

Savings - ECA guarantee, warranty and bod schemes wild be recognised - no need to purchase insurance Backed Warranty for domestic Part P work.

Discounts - access to discounted training courses and products

The register will be heavily promoted to consumers, clients and specifiers and we will be highlighting the added piece of mind which clients enjoy when working with an ECA contractor. From the ECA guarantee of work, warranty and bond schemes to the rigorous and technical assessments, as well as support services, we will work hard to promote ECA members as representing the industry gold standard.

We anticipate that you will have many questions regarding this new exciting partnership and I have prepared a list of frequently asked questions which can be found at www.eca.co.uk.

I am sure that you will welcome the new register and partnership as an extremely positive stop forward for the industry.

Signed of by the ECA's CEO

Thoughts please.

I am not sure automatic NICEIC membership for ECA members will go down well!

-------------------------
Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 17 November 2012 06:08 PM

slittle

I got it this morning as well.

I don't read it as automatic membership, I took it that one inspection would cover both schemes but...

It's a bit of a bolt from the blue as far as I'm concerned which is something I may well be taking up with Steve Bratt on Monday

Stu
 17 November 2012 06:25 PM

Martynduerden

Overall it seems sensible to me just not quite sure why its had no visible publicity, only thing missing is mandatory registration of all persons involved with electricity and I'm not talking part p.

Those who know me will know I am an advocate for a gas safe style scheme for electricians to my mind only sensible way forward.

Ducks back down to avoid bullets

Regards

Martyn.

17 November 2012 06:29 PM

slittle

Perhaps it will be a soft start into bigger things.

If the two big players are pulling together, hopefully the others will follow.

Then at least it will look to the public more like a gas safe scheme

Stu
 17 November 2012 06:59 PM

sparkingchip

Maybe uniting their resources is one way to keep in front of whippersnappers at Mansfield
 17 November 2012 07:36 PM

slittle

Bear in mind that ELECSA / ECA certifications offices are also in mansfield

Stu
 17 November 2012 07:40 PM

jleltd

I too had the letter this morning, being in both camps I look forward to a bit more cooperation between ECA and NIC. I also look forward to not having to pay the insurance backed warranty NIC insist on due to my ECA membership.........Time will tell!!

James
 17 November 2012 08:08 PM

sparkingchip

I was referring to NAPIT as the whippersnappers in Mansfield, as regards to "If the two big players are pulling together, hopefully the others will follow. " you have got to be joking!

It looks to be just the reverse, absolutely no cooperation at all, totally divided!

Andy
 17 November 2012 09:08 PM

John Peckham

Does it work the other way? Can I attend ECA meetings as an NICEIC AC?

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 17 November 2012 09:23 PM

sparkingchip

John, if you could be considered a competent person, you could come in with us, but we couldn't come in with you.

Andy
 17 November 2012 10:06 PM

John Peckham

I am not a member of a competent persons scheme but if I promised to be quiet and sit at he back they might let me in.

John Peckham

17 November 2012 10:08 PM

napitboss

Dear all,
I am absolutely disgusted, please see below the Press Release that NAPIT issued yesterday (Friday) where we launched an Electrical Safety Register, called ElectricSafe and available to ALL registered Electrical Contractors and here we have organisations launching another, but with restricted access, in my humble opinion, putting their own political and commercial ambitions and interests before what is best for the Electrical Industry.
Do any of you really want to go back to the days before NAPIT came along and forced change and offered choice?

Press Release
16 November 2012
Announcing the ElectricSafe Register, an Easily Recognisable Brand for the Electrical Industry
NAPIT has launched a new brand and voluntary register called ElectricSafe that will enable consumers to quickly identify competent, registered electrical installers.
The new brand was launched following the success of the Electrical Safety Roundtable (ESR) debate - a lobbying group which first met at Westminster in June 2012 to consider the problem of unregistered electricians.
ElectricSafe aims to make homeowners, landlords and tenants, aware of the importance of hiring a professional, competent registered electrician.
The register is a not-for-profit organisation and will be open for ALL competent electricians to join, accepting members from all DCLG authorised Competent Person Scheme providers operating within the electrical industry.
Building on recent success at the Electrical Industry Awards that saw NAPIT win Marketing Campaign of the Year in recognition of their innovative consumer focused promotion of competent installers, which reached out to over a million people through local promotion. The new initiative will take the message to a national level.
The ElectricSafe Register was formed by NAPIT in 2011, in order to improve the promotion of electrical safety to consumers. The ideas behind it built on close consultation of members which directly informed NAPIT's responses to Government's reviews into electrical safety.
These reviews have seen; first, the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) introduce new terms of authorisation, requiring greater promotion to consumers; second, NAPIT proposals - to the Communities and Local Government Select Committee on Electrical and Gas Installation and Repairs - in support of recognisable consumer facing branding; and third, similar proposals for such recognition in consultations on the revision of Part P.
Throughout the process, NAPIT, in regular consultation with members and other electrical contractors, found overwhelming support for promotion to consumers under a clear brand.
NAPIT recognise that consumers will not think of the phrases "NAPIT registered" or "Competent Person" when they are searching for electricians. ElectricSafe seeks to address this problem whilst, at the same time maintaining support of traditional listing on the Competent Person Register website.
NAPIT are committed to on going support of this website, which still attracts consumers who have a better understanding of Building Regulations and who may be seeking competent installers for work that involves other trades.
ElectricSafe has been designed to cut through confusion and create a brand that will be instantly recognisable to householders across the UK, helping to increase consumer awareness of the importance of using a registered electrician.
For more information of the ElectricSafe Register, please visit the website at Link removed telephone: 0845 543 0353 or email: info@electricsaferegister.co.uk
-ENDS-
Office contact details
info@electricsaferegister.co.uk
Tel: 0845 543 0353
Link removed
Should you require an image to accompany this release please contact the Marketing Department. ElectricSafe has a set PR budget and unfortunately is unlikely to agree to pay for any supporting images to be reproduced. The aim of releases generated by ElectricSafe is to inform, educate and improve the industry as a whole.
Notes to Editor
ElectricSafe is a new brand and register, designed to make it easy for homeowners, landlords and tenants to identify competent, registered electricians. The Register strives to establish a single, easily recognisable name the British public can trust with their home electrics.
This register will be open to all electricians registered with one of the official, DCLG approved, Competent Person Scheme providers operating within the electrical industry.
Originally formed by NAPIT in 2011, the ElectricSafe Register has been developed in response to a range of Government and industry consultations and launched following the success of the Electrical Safety Roundtable (ESR), a lobbying group which first met at Westminster in June 2012 to consider the problem of unregistered electricians.
NAPIT operates a portfolio of Competent Person Schemes, appointed by the UK Government under the Building Regulations for England and Wales, which allow trade installers to self-certify certain electrical installations as well as plumbing, heating and ventilation works.
Please forward all reader enquiries to:
NAPIT
Marketing Department
4th Floor, Mill 3
Pleasley Vale Business Park
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
NG19 8RL
Email: info@electricsaferegister.co.uk
Telephone: 01623 812971
 17 November 2012 10:23 PM

sparkingchip

Evening Boss, I think we have met a couple of times at trade shows.

I don't think many, if any people on this forum have caught on to what is happening.

There are two registers with similar titles:

NAPIT with http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk which as you say is open to all registered electrciians from any scheme.

NICEIC/ ECA with http://www.electricalsafetyregister.com only open to their own scheme members.

I don't know the politics of all this, but I have noted they are both apparently being launched at the same time.

Regards Andy
 17 November 2012 10:24 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: John Peckham

Does it work the other way? Can I attend ECA meetings as an NICEIC AC?

Happy to take you along John

Regards

Martyn.

17 November 2012 10:25 PM

John Peckham

NAPIT BOSS

Are you registering persons or companies? It would be excellent for public safety if you registered competent persons rather than companies who may be registered but who employ cheap incompetent labour. If Mr and Mrs public use your register they no doubt would have the reasonable belief that they would get a competent person turn up on their door step as the title of the register would suggest.

John Peckham

17 November 2012 10:29 PM

jleltd

Oh dear toys everywhere! but in the pram

James
 17 November 2012 10:32 PM

napitboss

What i forgot to mention was that we invited the NIC, the ECA and the ESC to the Roundtable mentioned in the PR above and we thought that they agreed with us that one brand for ALL Registered Electrical Contractors was desirable for our industry, they obviously thought it was a good idea, but apparently with this announcement only for themselves.
In accordance with NAPIT continued quest for openess and inclusion and to continue to seek a situation where ALL Electrical Contractors, whoever they are registered with, have equal promotion to the public and business, these three organisations have once again been invited to the next meeting of the Roundtable later this week, it will be interesting to see if they turn up and if they do, whether they are ashamed of themselves or just think that what they are attemping to do is acceptable.
You need the chance to vote with your feet if you are not happy with the service your money buys, not be tied to just one organisation or conglomerate of organisations.

Edited: 17 November 2012 at 10:52 PM by napitboss
 17 November 2012 10:33 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: jleltd

Oh dear toys everywhere! but in the pram

The winner will be the first to achieve mandatory registration to work....

Regards

Martyn.

17 November 2012 10:33 PM

Phillron

Originally posted by: John Peckham

NAPIT BOSS

Are you registering persons or companies? It would be excellent for public safety if you registered competent persons rather than companies who may be registered but who employ cheap incompetent labour. If Mr and Mrs public use your register they no doubt would have the reasonable belief that they would get a competent person turn up on their door step as the title of the register would suggest.

Excellent question
A question worthy of a positive response
Unfortunately the politics of electricians competence are not of importance to any of these players

Individual competence and registration is the only sensible method but it plays no part with those organisations
 17 November 2012 10:38 PM

napitboss

Hi John,
Initially, it will be open to Companies who are Registered with ANY CP Scheme.
But my personal goal is to eventually have a similar model to the Gas register, in that the Electrical Contracting Company will have to employ Qualified Electricians, such that every single Installation, Maintenance activity and Repair work is inspected and tested by a fully Qualified Electrician
This has always been NAPIT's stance and that has not changed one iota.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Letter from ECA

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.