Increase font size
Topic Title: Sangamo timer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 November 2012 08:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 November 2012 08:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Hi all,

I need to replace a very noisy Samgamo S610.2 timer. This timer controls the ceiling heating and immersion heater. The original is marked as 30 amps which does sound logical as it feeds both the ceiling heaters and immersion element. The trouble is that the replacement model according to Sangamo website is only rated at 20 amps. It seems strange to me that the one timer controls heating and immersion elements, could it be that someone in the past has put the immersion on with the heating or would it have been designed that way? seems unlikely!

Dave.
 14 November 2012 09:08 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: daveparry1
...could it be that someone in the past has put the immersion on with the heating or would it have been designed that way? seems unlikely!

More likely the immersion circuit already existed and someone couldn't be bothered to run another supply for the heating.
What's the OPD?
 14 November 2012 09:14 PM

daveparry1

I think the ceiling heating would have been installed when place was built (circa 1980's) OPD is 15 amp Wylex 3036. I think I need to remove the present timer from the wall so I can have a better look to see what's been done, do you have any idea what rating the ceiling elements might be Mike?
 14 November 2012 10:29 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: daveparry1
I think the ceiling heating would have been installed when place was built (circa 1980's) OPD is 15 amp Wylex 3036. I think I need to remove the present timer from the wall so I can have a better look to see what's been done, do you have any idea what rating the ceiling elements might be Mike?

If it's the type of ceiling heating elements I'm thinking of, they look like black bin liners laid flat on the ceiling.

I remember a house that had these and there was a separate CU with several 15 Amp old button type Wylex mcb's to supply them.

The house (4 bedrooms) was built in the mid 70's and the heating elements were original to the house.

On that basis the elements could be as much as 3kW.
As a heating system it was hopeless.
 14 November 2012 10:47 PM

daveparry1

Thanks Mike, I think these are embedded in the concrete ceiling, there are just some dark lines running across the ceilings where the heat has discoloured the surface, each of the three rooms has it's own room stat on the wall, I will go back there and have another look and remove the timer from the wall so that I can have a better look at what's going on,

Dave.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.