Topic Title: Change from gas heating to electric
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 November 2012 12:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 November 2012 12:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

18.9 seconds Martyn, including the time to quickly shove the bucket under the flowing tap and to switch the stop watch on and and off on the iPhone.

The figure of 89% comes from some tests they ran this week and a print out, looks like a receipt.

O2 11.5%
CO2 5.3%
COppm 36
Flue deg C 162.5
Inlet deg C 16.7
Nett deg C 145.8
Eff (C) 89.4
Losses 10.6
Xair 122.3
CO/CO2 0.0006
PRS mbar 0.04

I've no idea what kind of a story that tells of course, just copied it out for you.

But, going back to Chris M's post, I did notice a warmer kitchen while the cupboard was dismantled for them and before I got round to putting it back up. I got up a ladder and fiddled around with where the pipes go up into the ceiling. I do think that blocking up the hole above the boiler and opening the cupboard door might redirect some of the radiated heat from the boiler into the house.

Something to make you freak out....I have a warm-roof. Long before I learned that they are bad for the roof timbers but all is ok at the moment. This is the last house in the area to lose the snow on the roof, which I enjoy looking at every winter. But I have the original single glazed sash windows on a section of the house. I'm unlikely to change those because they're over 100 years' old and have war blown glass in them. A character v efficiency decision.

Apparently I need a new gas valve @ £250 plus fitting so I am about to check that on the web.

Quite like the look of the Dyson fan heaters, I'll check them out too.

Back in a mo.

Edit.
Good grief. Gas valves are about £68 (and a dyson hot is £289).
Why do these guys do that? It isn't £250, it is £68.00. They P me off, life is too short for this. I must look incredibly stupid. Grrr. Right now where was I....'I'm thinking about getting rid of my gas boiler?'

Twas on a Monday morning when the gas man came to call I don't like Mondays.

Zs

Edited: 18 November 2012 at 12:51 PM by Zs
 18 November 2012 12:33 PM

daveparry1

Apparently I need a new gas valve @ £250 plus fitting
-----------------------
I probably haven't spent that much on my old Gloworm boiler in 25 years Zs!

Dave.
 18 November 2012 01:07 PM

potential

Originally posted by: Zs

Back in a mo.

Edit.

Good grief. Gas valves are about £68 (and a dyson hot is £289).

Why do these guys do that? It isn't £250, it is £68.00. They P me off, life is too short for this. I must look incredibly stupid. Grrr. Right now where was I....'I'm thinking about getting rid of my gas boiler?'

Twas on a Monday morning when the gas man came to call I don't like Mondays.

Zs

That is par for the course IME.
It might not be so bad if you could be sure that they replace the item correctly and do no further damage.
Unfortunately that is normally not the case.
Those that charge high prices are often the same that bodge and bash and all at your expense.
 18 November 2012 02:59 PM

BillI

Originally posted by: daveparry1

Apparently I need a new gas valve @ £250 plus fitting

-----------------------

I probably haven't spent that much on my old Gloworm boiler in 25 years Zs!

Dave.

In the middle of last winter the gas valve on our 35 year old boiler failed. The first gas failure since we came here 25 years ago.
I discovered I could get a new valve for about £100 but it would take a few days to come. So I decided to use a local Gas Safe fitter instead. He arrived and I showed him the boiler and where the switches were and said I want a new gas valve. In confiming my diagnosis he tripped the RCD TWICE poking his uninsulated screwdriver where he shouldn't. He did fix a new valve the next day but for considerably more than £100.

Gas Safe maybe. Electric Safe? These badges don't mean much.

Bill
 19 November 2012 02:13 PM

OMS

I've no idea what kind of a story that tells of course, just copied it out for you

Looks pretty normal to me - it could get slightly better and even more so if you go fully condesning, but it's not bad. Perhaps a touch of fiddling to get that excess air down a tad but other than that 90% eff on an existing boiler isn't awful.

I do think that blocking up the hole above the boiler and opening the cupboard door might redirect some of the radiated heat from the boiler into the house

Mostly it'll be convective - and remember the same effect in summer tends to make overheating a certainty

Something to make you freak out....I have a warm-roof. Long before I learned that they are bad for the roof timbers but all is ok at the moment.

Not neccessarily bad - depends where condensation would form and how much ventilation the undersideof the roof covering has (I think you mentioned slates - they'll prefer to have free air on both sides if possible)

But I have the original single glazed sash windows on a section of the house. I'm unlikely to change those because they're over 100 years' old and have war blown glass in them. A character v efficiency decision.

Nice - keep them at any cost, including the glass. You can get OK secondary DG units that would be a huge benefit in winter though - if you reallly want a cheap way to do it, you can buy heat shrink clingfilm - simple batten frame to clamp the film - warm it up with a hair dryer and bingo - about 100% reduction in heat loss. Get good linings on the curtains as well.

Why do these guys do that? It isn't £250, it is £68.00. They P me off, life is too short for this. I must look incredibly stupid.

Quick story:

"For tapping" boiler - one pound. For knowing where to 'tap' boiler 100 pounds."

Not stupid - no - think of like RCD problems - how much could you actually charge customers when it's 7.00pm, dark, saturday and strickly is about to start ? - I guess you charge them what you think is fair - some will charge them what they think it's worth, at that time.

....'I'm thinking about getting rid of my gas boiler?'

Keep it for now - if you get the gas valve at a decent price then it's not costing you much more to operate than a new one.

Flush the heating system and get it approximately rebalanced - you'd be suprised.

Put the money saved towards a wood burner - buy marshmallows -

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 19 November 2012 08:24 PM

Fm

Zs

What i wouldnt give for a warm roof construction.

Fixed a leaking bay roof, new deck all nicely screwed down at regular intervals, sealed everywhere, between sheets, to wall etc, tried to get 100mm kingspan on the roof, looked daftunfortunately.

So lifted deck to add sheeps wool ( different thermal/ moisture properties than normal insulation)
And the roofer did a hot tar roof.
Condensation risk analysis was ok
2 coats of new emulsionplus the 140 years of other paint equal a vapour barrier soim happy about moving the dew point of the roof

I had single glazed sash and case, couldnt keep them unfortunately so replaced with new Timber sash and case windows, double glazed.
Did a courseon window renovation and contacted ventrolla? About repairs

Your boiler is that not the percentage of efficiency for the band of boiler
Ie a 90% of a band d boiler ?
 23 July 2014 07:17 AM

northernbeaches

It is better to use gas heaters rather than electric heater because electric heaters consume very high units.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Change from gas heating to electric

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.