Increase font size
Topic Title: Being refused access on site from January
Topic Summary: SSSTS
Created On: 09 November 2012 10:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 November 2012 10:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DOUGIE1000

As subject as long as 100% on site of our staff SSSTS qualified.

http://www.sssts.co.uk/

This is a supervisors course however their argument is that 100% of employees need to have sat the course as on site lone working (unless a qualified supervisor is on site at all times accompanying our tradesmen and is direct employed by ourselfs). Our work is here and there and as is when required on site, about 20 hours a week spread over.

on another...Each employee also need to do a COSHH course as was caught using conduit glue and also a abrasive wheel course as was spotted using a battery operated grinder to cut large cable tray.

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 10 November 2012 01:55 AM

Legh

SSSTS Who Needs to Take a SSSTS Course?
If you are taking on a supervisory role on a construction site you will need to be trained in Health and Safety. The importance of proper training, as offered through the SSSTS courses, cannot be stressed enough. Every year thousands of construction workers are severely injured on site, and in 2010-2011 there were fifty deaths according to the Health and Safety Executive. Due to these high numbers it is necessary to show that you comply with the law and do everything you can to run a site with minimal risks to your employees.

Copied from your link

This is complete nonsense.

If you have a basic training and have a strong sense of survival you really do not need this crap.,....

I have had a long chat with somebody who runs several prestigious sites and he said this H&S politically correct propaganda has nothing to do with safety but a self generating money making 'PPI' arrangement.

So I came to the conclusion that you should take out insurance to protect yourself from this training by relating to the possibility and to the likely probability of an accident if something were to happen if you did or didn't do this course. You should be able to claim against the insurance.

Of course , the insurance company would want to know the validity of the company offering the course in the first place.....

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 10 November 2012 07:26 PM

Fm

If this wasnt mentioned at the tender stage, hit them for the additional cost if it is true
 10 November 2012 08:36 PM

peteTLM

I had a look at their 'who is file', and its not a government department, just an office on an industrial estate.
You all have an ECS card presumably, so id tell them to take a long walk on a short pier.

Yes there are abrasive wheel courses, which have their uses, but we are talking a small angle grinder not a petrol driven concrete saw so the risks are minimal unless they are muppetts.
Coshh wise, give a presentation yourself to your staff and get them to read and sign a copy of the HSE document. Again, minimal risks for what we do. A coshh course might be good if you worked with acids in a chemical plant or something.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 10 November 2012 10:07 PM

kj scott

They can also train you to be an electrician, to the advanced level of 2392-10.

LOOK

http://www.niceic.biz
 10 November 2012 11:52 PM

DOUGIE1000

Hi again guys, the link provided was just a random 1st on google to show what was being asked for.

As for our helath and saftey, we have less than 5 employees however have a health and saftey statement that is more than enought as is 5 or 6 in depth pages long. We have a registar and its signed every 6 months and refreshed if required. We also have same for safe isolation and again registair.

Also a 3 monthly ladder saftey checklist.

Guess I could do with a risk assesment for general sparky works and another for working at heights.

The person on site our H&S is far too slack and need to do this SSSTS and also tighten up on all documtnets and even a regualr tool box talks with attendance signatures. Said in the event of an accident I would be in the dock.

Dougie

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 17 November 2012 12:27 PM

Dave69

I done the sssts course last year, 2 days of hell trying to stay awake, but I have to say I have been asked to show the cert before being allowed on many sites.

Tool box talks are a way of life now on most sites and I always start them by saying the same old thing "do you want to go home tonight or end up in hospital or a wooden box?"

Health and Safety is common sense but that can go out of the window when the pressure is on to "get the job done"
Only last week I caught 2 sparkies working off a tower that was not high enough, they had the platforms on the top rung, so no hand rails but they still couldn't reach so they were also using a small 4 tread step ladder on top. They weren't happy when I ordered them down, saying the job would only take them another 15mins to complete, the icing was put on the top of the cake when I asked to see their PASMA cards and they looked at me blankly and asked "WTF are they?"
Although these sparks were not working for me it would of been my ass on the line if i hadn't stopped them as I was one of the site supervisors
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.