Increase font size
Topic Title: Wonders of Windows 8
Topic Summary: Not very impressed - reverting to XP
Created On: 08 November 2012 11:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 November 2012 11:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rslane

Half way through my accounts so as to be able to file a paper tax return by 31st Oct when my 8 year old lap top packed up. Display had been corrupted at switch on but always corrected with a restart - now it was almost impossible to get going and display changed as I flexed the computer - quite interesting to see what effects came up - then woops - once to often and I was down to the shops for a new machine!
Time to take the plunge I thought with the latest wonder from Microsoft - Windows 8. Now it may be an ideal operating system if you are used to smart phones and want to play on line games on it. BUT I hate it with a vengeance! I find it diabolical! Cant find keyboard short cuts for most of the things I want to do. Keep on "loosing" things that are open. Go back to messenger and find its logged off a conversation. They told me at PC World that I could always go back to what I was used to with the desktop. Yes, in part - but again an absolute pain in the way some things are missing. Cant even get it recognise a USB connected printer. Wants to wirelessly connect to everything else in the universe!
So in the process of researching the best buy on a 64 bit version of XP Professional. Think an older operating system on a far more powerful machine might even have some performance advantages!

So my advice is DONT BUY WIDOWS 8 if you are used to XP until you have had a very, very good play with it.

There was a semi happy ending - I had backed all my data up, my Office 2000 version of Excel still worked on the new machine and I got the tax return in with 6hrs to spare and was able to call in see Skyfall on the way back home. Puts a whole new perspective on the term "a close shave" - anyone who has been to see it will know exactly what I am talking about - for those who haven't yet I wont spoil it save to say Eve could shave me anytime - anywhere!!

Now back to the broken PC - shouldn't be a problem now the pressure of a tax return is past - used to work with computers - although 40 years ago when I was still on the bench the tracks were wider and eyesight was better! Any one got a microscope!
 08 November 2012 11:20 AM

rutts

TBH I find windows 7 is very good. I prefer it to XP. I don't particularly like the look of windows 8 and I'm used to a smart phone.
 08 November 2012 11:27 AM

AJJewsbury

There's an old saying in the software world - never install software with an even digit on the end of the version number. (The theory being that even releases get all the new features, the ones in between get the fixes to make them work properly).

- Andy.
 08 November 2012 01:37 PM

zeeper

I run 64bit win 7 at home never had any problems. I wouldnt go back to XP to old hat, always crashing. I dont think win7 has crashed once since I've owned it. I installed a vertex 3 SSD the other month so much faster well worth it. And would recommend for a laptop as they always seem to take an age to boot.

O yeah and win7 still looks like a proper OS not like phone software
 08 November 2012 02:33 PM

normcall

You'll like this - not a lot.
I bit the bullet earlier this year and installed Windows 7 - only I stupidly installed the 64bit version. It don't like anything old such as dos accounts or even early windows (I use a 1994 database what works like magic!!)
Solution was to 'upgrade to professional version at a silly price. Sort of worked.
Then our small quiet 'lounge' machine packed up, so I 'invested' in a new machine with windows 7 pre-installed - guess what? 64bit again. Grrrerrr!.
Then I needed a small notebook, so I bought a cheap Acer Eeee. It comes with windows 7 starter which is a 32 bit system. Everything works like a dream, but you can't actually buy the starter version. Grrrrrr.

Then I discovered Oracle VM VirtualBox (free!!) and you just install your old XP windows as a operating system in the virtual window and bobs' ya uncle. The best of both worlds just by switching windows. Better than installing Windows 7 (or 8) and dual booting.

Told you that you would not like it.

-------------------------
Norman
 08 November 2012 03:30 PM

peteTLM

Same old crap by microsoft in a different box......

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 08 November 2012 06:51 PM

stateit

Neighsayers, nimbies and luddites can stick with Windows 3.1 if they want, but I won't.

I think its great.

Same as Windows 7, but faster. I run 2 displays(always one screen with plain desktop on at start), so the initial Start screen wasn't a hassle.
And a week-and-a-bit in I appreciate the Start Screen and wouldn't do without it.

I can still get a CMD screen up and do non-UI stuff if needed.

I was able to start the PC, put the kettle on and brew a tea before I could be browsing the internet pre-Win 8.

25 second boot time after POST to full usability after treating the PC to some SSDs.

Me and the missus made a pact to always try to keep up with new technology so as not to get left behind.

As some here seem to have.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 08 November 2012 08:12 PM

normcall

Did you miss out on Windows 3?
I still have the final dos disks for 6.22 and DRDos.
Windows for workgroups was a real step forward!

I really do keep up as I threw out my Amstrad PCW512D portable in the summer. The U11 batteries started to become expensive.

Norman
 08 November 2012 08:22 PM

stateit

I was a late developer and started at DOS 5...

6.2 was a good step-up, I have to say.

When Win 3.1 arrived, Photoshop for Windows on 18 diskettes and a whopping 8MB RAM (that was a lot) was fab. With a 20MB hard drive. Deluxe.

That was go-and-make-a-cup-of-tea stuff.

Windows 8 really is a step forward.

S George
 08 November 2012 09:41 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: stateit
When Win 3.1 arrived, Photoshop for Windows on 18 diskettes and a whopping 8MB RAM (that was a lot) was fab. With a 20MB hard drive. Deluxe.

Windows 98 had 40 diskettes I recall, what a schlep!, then they brought out the CD version.

I have 4 working computers with Windows '95, '98, Me, 2000, XP and 7. I won't be uprating to 8 until the bugs are ironed out, .......... give it a few years. Never buy a new model of anything. , the world is just a large test bed for some.

Regards
 08 November 2012 10:35 PM

AJJewsbury

Luxury! My first machine took me two days to solder together, boasted 4KB of static RAM and backing store was a 300 baud interface to a cassette deck.

- Andy.
 08 November 2012 11:13 PM

stateit

You had solder !!!???

S George
 08 November 2012 11:31 PM

peteTLM

I run windows in various forms, but would impress me is when windows works as quick as efficiently and for years without slowing down without a million stupid pop ups, JUST LIKE MACS DO!

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 09 November 2012 06:22 AM

ebee

Nobody has mentioned the ZX Spectrum , oh how I loved to make programs in Spectrum BASIC (OK well they were crap but I loved them- LOL).

It was also a great improvement on the Binatone "Game Consul" with cricket/football & tennis for up to two players. Two knobs turning pots to make a paddle move up or down on your TV screen - them were the days - modern technology of the past

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 09 November 2012 06:39 AM

normcall

At least I used my ZX81 for the business.
Everyone said it would never catch on! (the strange smell from the printer didn't help)

Norman
 09 November 2012 06:41 AM

ebee

a.k.a "The door wedge"

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 09 November 2012 09:37 AM

zeeper

HI stateit

Is it possible to turn off the tiled start window that makes it look like phone software.So that it has a conventional looking window.
Also can you load software in the normal way or do you have to use the app centre. Only I read that MS were putting up the walls on win 8. And does it come with media center build in.
 09 November 2012 10:56 AM

joepostle

At first looks of Windows 8 I will not be upgrading due to the interface, Windows 7 is brilliant and stable though! Microsoft does appear, so I am told, to have software versions which are either brilliant or rubbish, Win98, Millenium, XP, Vista & 7.

The website software4students does very cheap Microsoft and Adobe software and is ligit (they have cross-ref pages to the manufacturers sites and vice-versa). They also don't appear to check education status (if so they don't appear to check that often!).
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.