Increase font size
Topic Title: 10 meter high scaffolding
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 November 2012 09:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 November 2012 09:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DOUGIE1000

Got a commercial job,

On 2nd floor of a building there is a large open space, previously used for a factory production line. There is access by means of single door and straight onto a stairwell to ground level.

Anyway powered access is a no go due to stairs, only access for powered equipment would be through a a set of large access doors and use of a craine .

Is scaffolding possible for a height of 10meters? Don't fancy shuffling it about the room.

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 08 November 2012 07:51 AM

dickllewellyn

Either speak to the client about arranging scaffolding and quote on the bass that it will be in place, or speak to a friendly local scaffolder to obtain a quote, add a bit, and add it to your own quote.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 08 November 2012 12:49 PM

AJJewsbury

Some scaffold towers seem to go up to 14m (12m) high - e.g. http://www.scaffold-tower.co.u...ouble_width_3.2m_10x4/

Even for hire ones hit 10m http://www.hss.com/g/80400/All...ower-Addit.-1.0m.html

(I've no connection with either firm, just a google results having been looking for a tower myself)

- Andy.
 08 November 2012 01:23 PM

Ricicle

Try and get an aluminium one as they are lighter !

Empty barrels make the most noise.
 08 November 2012 03:28 PM

peteTLM

Ive recently done some unistrut on the underside of a warehouse roof at 10m on a tower scaffold. Not too bad to put up as long as there is at least 2 of you. Not too woobly as long as you get lots of tension on the outriggers.
If you dont like heights though dont bother as 10m is the same as a 4th floor on a tower block or similar and a long way down.

It will cost maybe 8 times more to get a fixed scaffold by a scaffolding firm.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 10 November 2012 10:31 AM

dickllewellyn

I personally wouldn't entertain usin a mobile tower above about 5 meters. I don't like building them at the best of times, but certainly wouldn't fancy swinging a platform into place at that height, or indeed climbing up and down it with tools and equipment.

I personally, if powered access is out the question, would like a solid scaffolding to work on. If the price is to high, my competitor is welcome to the job!

Ironically, I would rather harness up and swing out working off suspended ropes than on a mobile tower! Just what you are happy with I guess!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 16 July 2013 11:21 AM

DTimbers

You can get some pretty high towers - Link removed/mobile-towers/, but you need to weigh up stability for the job. Obviously the higher the tower the less stable and the wider footprint you would require.

As Richard points out, a harness is a good alternative (and sometimes easier) but is really personal preferance. Mobile towers are clearly more permanent and sound the most suitable if you do your research. Drop me a line if you want any help
 16 July 2013 08:48 PM

Grumpy

As an ex potholer I thought I had a pretty good head for heights. However, when doing a loft conversion and I was nominated to be on the tower when we craned the steels in I had an instant rethink. And what would that be, 6m? Mind you it wasn't helped by the crane driver whacking the first steel straight into the tower. I never knew I could wimper like that. For the roof work we coughed up for proper scaffolding, what a difference. Personally, I wouldn't countenance a 10m tower and if the job won't pay for proper scaffolding I'd walk (er, whilst you still can!!)
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.