IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surge taking out (almost) whole building installation.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 November 2012 07:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 November 2012 07:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

alanblaby

I got a desperate call this morning from a local childrens nursery - "our heating isnt working, we've had some electrical problem overnight, and now the heating wont come on".
Ok, I dropped my stuff and went straight over, to find the full story.
Eon had just left, there had been a voltage surge, and they had traced the fault not to the local sub-station, or a damaged cable, but to the neutral busbar (more of an Henly block), inside the building, just after the cut-outs, in a TP+N switch.
The 25mm cable had melted the insualtion for around 3 inches, and left a lot of welding style splatters around the henly block. It was all sealed up when I arrived, so I didnt see the damage inside the box.
Onto the heating, luckily, an easy fix, the programmer had blown, so a few wagos linking wires inside the box had the heating on, until a new programmer was fitted later.
Then onto the rest of the building. Virtually everything that was connected to the mains was dead. A few flourescents had survived, and the oven, but 2 freezers, a fridge, 10+ phones, the router and computers, fire alarm, security alarm and many other smaller items were dead.
I reckon £5000 to repair/replace.
Now may be a good time for me to submit a price to fit SPDs.
I asked if they will be claiming on the electricians insurance who did the rewire in July, but, apparently he said he hadnt even opened the main switch box, which I found hard to beleive, but possible I suppose.

Alan.
 07 November 2012 08:02 PM

Legh

A good policy is to check and tighten all sub-mains terminals as you go. Sometimes not officially possible if they have been sealed up by the DNO.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 07 November 2012 09:01 PM

alancapon

If the fault was within a DNO sealed enclosure, then they would be liable for paying the compensation / replacing the failed appliances, just as if the fault was out in the street affecting a larger part of network. I would expect the DNO's representative to examine all the items in the property, then arrange for their replacement.

On the subject of SPDs, I am not sure that you would find SPDs with ratings that were appropriate for protecting against a broken neutral. You could of course use SPDs together with an overvoltage relay and shunt-trip on the main incoming device, but this is not really sensible in most cases.

Regards,

Alan.
 07 November 2012 09:54 PM

Parsley

Sounds like the single phase kit got the full 400v
when the neutral was lost, as Alan says SPD's won't help in this circumstance.

Regards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.