Topic Title: 3 phase board wanted
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 October 2012 01:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 October 2012 01:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hifly

has anyone got an old 3p+N board knocking about they don't want?

needs to be one i can still get mcb/s for.

I am just about to move house and i am going to get 3 phase put in to the workshop for the lathe and mill but trying to keep costs down as much as possible so used kit will have to do.

Cheers

Vince

-------------------------
Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
 27 October 2012 08:04 PM

weirdbeard

Hi vince sorry, but haven't got anything suitable, just ideas.... When you say you are going to have 3 phase installed to the workshop, will this be a new dedicated DNO supply to the workshop? If thats the case I would have thought that the cost of a small low-end DB would be a tiny proportion of the overall cost!

If your property has 3 phase already and you are installing the supply cable from the house to the workshop yourself, with a view to cutting costs do you really need a proprietary 3 phase DB in the work shop?, I've just helped do a similar job for my neighbour who bought a 3 phase compressor, we ran a 32A 3 phase cable into an enclosure with a 4 pole 30mA RCD, then through a 20A 3phase mcb to a socket to which he can choose to run his compressor, or some other appliance if he gets any in the future, and for the small power we connected a cheap split load dual rcd board into the supply side of the 4 pole RCD for the lights and general sockets. This installation has the benefit of 3 way multi-pole RCD protection which is not cheap or easy to achieve with a standard 3phase db
 27 October 2012 08:42 PM

hifly

I know where you are comming from with the cost of the install etc but its just another £200, I suspect there are a lot like me that have a "collection" of bits around just in case they come in handy or looking for a good home ;-) and as they say the best recycling is to reuse.

I don't work on 3 phase as i just do domestic, so i don't have any kit laying about. like others may have.

currently its just for my lathe but i will be getting a milling machine and possibly a few other bits of kit that will be 3 phase, the less i spend on stuff the more stuff i can have.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

27 October 2012 09:04 PM

weirdbeard

Hi vince, just another idea, theres a website called 'freecycle' try sticking a 'wanted' advert on there in your area- you never know what might turn up!
 27 October 2012 09:18 PM

hifly

yes, i do a lot on freecycle, might be a bit too far off the "bedside tables & kids cloths" as we are a bit in the sticks but worth a try.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

27 October 2012 09:25 PM

weirdbeard

Out of interest, won't hold it against you..... does your new property already have 3 phase?, if not whats the cost of having it installed?
 27 October 2012 09:30 PM

weirdbeard

Ps re the cards, do you print them yourselves or sub it out - reason is my mrs wants a good price for maybe 1000 of her own design.
 27 October 2012 09:32 PM

hifly

no, not at the moment,

no idea of cost as we only got the keys yesterday, i will be running my kit from a rotory inverter i made for the time being but the aim is to have 3 phase installed, i even have the overhead cables running above the workshop,, i was thinking a few croc clips and i would be in business.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

27 October 2012 09:37 PM

hifly

Originally posted by: weirdbeard

Ps re the cards, do you print them yourselves or sub it out - reason is my mrs wants a good price for maybe 1000 of her own design.

I use a local printing company, that way when i have a new design i can pop down with the jpg on a memory stick and get them to print one as a sample to make sure the colours are correct, belive me they do not always come out as you expect so its worth getting a couple done so you are happy with the colours.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

27 October 2012 09:43 PM

weirdbeard

Hi vince, really compared to the cost of having 3 phase installed, for a small user most machines are available in single phase - you might be aswell cost wise to sell your 3 phase machine and change it for a single phase version - 3 phase has most benefit to spread the load where there might be several or many machines in use simultaneously
 27 October 2012 09:45 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: hifly

Originally posted by: weirdbeard

I use a local printing company, that way when i have a new design i can pop down with the jpg on a memory stick and get them to print one as a sample to make sure the colours are correct, belive me they do not always come out as you expect so its worth getting a couple done so you are happy with the colours.

Thanks for the info
 27 October 2012 09:55 PM

weirdbeard

Also vince, I don't know this for sure, but you might also find there is a higher standing charge for having a 3 phase supply, which for occasional use you may not find economical.
 27 October 2012 10:06 PM

DOUGIE1000

Few yr back my neibour wanted his new lathe wired up. Upon investigation course it was 3ph in a domestic shed.

Few weeks later he produced (see link bellow) and now not only have I done his but also most of his mates garages too.

All works great and as variable speed guys seem to give it a big thumbs up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMO-...ET&hash=item4d05c1d02f

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 27 October 2012 10:51 PM

hifly

Originally posted by: DOUGIE1000

Few yr back my neibour wanted his new lathe wired up. Upon investigation course it was 3ph in a domestic shed.

Few weeks later he produced (see link bellow) and now not only have I done his but also most of his mates garages too.

All works great and as variable speed guys seem to give it a big thumbs up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMO-...ET&hash=item4d05c1d02f

yes i know about these but they won't provide 3p+n only 3p, the lathe i have is a 1956 vintage that i want to keep original and requires 3p+n

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

27 October 2012 11:40 PM

weirdbeard

Hi vince, i admit I know nothing about 1956 lathes, but why does it need a neutral? is it for powering a lamp?
 28 October 2012 12:05 AM

hifly

No not a lamp, it has a dc motor that feeds the carrige and cross slide where the main motor is 440v 3 phase 2 speed and the feed motor is powered from 1 p+n via a variable speed controler that is part of the original lathe.

It would take a lot of rewiring to change it, the main motor is a very high presion motor made only for this make of machine, changing to a standard single phase unit is not what i want to do.

The other point is that you realy need 1 static inverter for each piece of kit and as my plan is to have a number of 3 phase machines i feed a 3 phase supply is the best option for me, thats not to say i can't save some money where possible by using second hand kit where i can.

and then there is the supply to the garage, but thats another story.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

28 October 2012 12:17 AM

DOUGIE1000

Generator for 3phase stuff, and lights sockets, tea urn etc on house supply :-)

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 28 October 2012 01:08 AM

hifly

Originally posted by: DOUGIE1000

Generator for 3phase stuff, and lights sockets, tea urn etc on house supply :-)

yes that is an option, i would still need a dist board ;-)

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

28 October 2012 06:31 AM

normcall

I have a Wylex board - brand new , all it's had is a hole drilled in it. A couple of TP mcbs and 100A main switch.
If you are interested, then PM me and I'll go and find out exactly what model etc. I think it's a 12W (4*3) plus neutral and about 5 years old.

Norman
 28 October 2012 10:23 AM

WiredScience

My last house had a 3 phase head, but only a single phase used. The quote to upgrade to 3 phase (new meter and two fuses!) was £1700 +VAT. I decided I could buy a few single phase machines for that price...
IET » Wiring and the regulations » 3 phase board wanted

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.