Increase font size
Topic Title: Mixing MCB brands in a consumer unit
Topic Summary: Do you do it?
Created On: 13 October 2012 07:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 October 2012 07:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DR2366

Have a choice, order one Excel circuit breaker from QVS to fit an existing board wait for it and pay the postage or fit a better quality breaker of a different brand which I may already have in my van!

What would you do?
 13 October 2012 07:32 PM

michaelbrett

Fit the correct part each & every time.

Reasons per previous posts.

Regards

MIke
 13 October 2012 07:43 PM

daveparry1

From choice I would always fit the original manufacturers part but it's not always possible, so i've never lost any sleep over fitting a compatible part. After all they're all subject to the same test and standard so I doubt there would ever be any major problem either operation wise or due to legal action,

Dave.
 13 October 2012 11:57 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: michaelbrett

Fit the correct part each & every time.

Reasons per previous posts.

MIke

I've not read the previous posts.

I assume once you realise how many brands come out of the same factory with merely different markings you are, for example, happy with a Volex MCB in a Wylex board?

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 14 October 2012 11:02 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: DR2366
Have a choice, order one Excel circuit breaker from QVS to fit an existing board wait for it and pay the postage or fit a better quality breaker of a different brand which I may already have in my van! What would you do?

Simple, fit something temporarily, until the correct one is available.

If not available, let the customer decide after giving the alternatives. Insurance may not pay out where makers' instructions are not carried out, irrespective of the cause.

Regards
 14 October 2012 12:02 PM

Cremeegg

happy with a Volex MCB

Not a phrase I would ever use in relation to anything I've ever seen marketed by Volex.

I'd always use the same make unless the appropriate size or type wasnt available. Only exception I can think of was where I used a 45A MK RCBO in a Hager CU I fitted purely because Hager only went up to 40A and the shower needed 45A not 40A. Yes, I know that its a resistive load and a 40A RCBO would take about 300 years to trip with 45A going through it.
 14 October 2012 08:17 PM

DR2366

Off to pick up the correct breaker tomorrow, never even been in QVS before!
 15 October 2012 11:56 AM

AJJewsbury

Presuming physical compatibility is OK (terminals right height for bus-bar etc), for me it'd be down to whether the demands of situation are satisfied by the MCB's spec. alone, or whether you need something extra, which is usually only provided by the complete assembly.

Obvious example is breaking capacity. MCB is likely only rated at 6kA, but the whole CU is typically rated at 16kA.

If PFC at the CU was <=6kA then I'd be happy using using a different brand. If over, then you've a (theoretical at least) risk, as different manufacturers might have taken different approaches to ensuring overall safety, which might not mix-and-match nicely.

Try reg 530.3.4 - as I read it, complying directly with section 432.1 (using devices rated for fault current) is alternative to annexe ZA and using manufacturer's specified devices.

- Andy.
 15 October 2012 03:06 PM

Jaymack

You'll probably find that manufacturers, specifically state in their instructions, to use their OEM equipment. This is probably done - 1) So that their warranty won't be invalidated. 2) Type tests to the applicable standards wouldn't then apply. 3) Market preservation.

In addition, I don't see the need for anyone to unnecessarily jeordise their insurance. By all means fit alternatives if the originals are not available, if they are mechanically and electrically safe, but get the owner's permission ....... in writing!

Regards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.