Increase font size
Topic Title: T&E
Topic Summary: building control dont allow white
Created On: 11 October 2012 08:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 October 2012 08:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

zeeper

So a work mate asked me if white T&E was not allowed to be used in domestic homes under part P, This was because a friend of his was told by BC inspector to remove what he had installled in white and replace with grey. Its a new one to on me, I thought you could use 3 core flex if you wanted.
 11 October 2012 09:04 AM

peteTLM

what complete rubbish. The only white T and E you can get is LSOH, which would be an improvement if anything (if not for the person installing it)

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 11 October 2012 09:12 AM

Legh

Maybe the building inspector turned up to find the Electrician's 'van' had four legs

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 11 October 2012 09:37 AM

daveparry1

I'd have thought as long as the inner conductors are brown/blue there would be no problem, (maybe they're not!)

Dave.
 11 October 2012 10:07 AM

BigRed

So when he asked the building inspecter under what reg he couldn't install the white cable, what was the reply?
 11 October 2012 11:59 AM

zeeper

So when he asked the building inspecter under what reg he couldn't install the white cable, what was the reply

The chap was a diyer and didnt know any better so ripped it out and replaced with grey. Maybe it was old white with red and black cores I'll enquire.
 11 October 2012 03:38 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: peteTLM
The only white T and E you can get is LSOH, which would be an improvement if anything (if not for the person installing it)

If havn't used this stuff yet, is it difficult to strip?
 11 October 2012 04:18 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: zeeper
Maybe it was old white with red and black cores I'll enquire.

Still ok if identified at points of termination with sleeving to new colour standard.
 11 October 2012 04:19 PM

BigRed

Depends on the manufacturer, some of the pvc i've used recently seems to be glued to the copper
 11 October 2012 04:23 PM

jcm256

Excuses are you talking about 6242B cable, should be putting it in not pulling it out.

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=624...43188&biw=1024&bih=637
 11 October 2012 05:34 PM

hifly

i put a load of it in that my customer had purchased for his job, it was as stiff as anything, a right pain to install.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
 11 October 2012 07:33 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: zeeper

So a work mate asked me if white T&E was not allowed to be used in domestic homes under part P, This was because a friend of his was told by BC inspector to remove what he had installled in white and replace with grey. Its a new one to on me, I thought you could use 3 core flex if you wanted.

I've not had any experience of building control refusing to issue certification, but may I ask if you know whether there was any documentation issued with regards to this situation, ie, was there a notice of required improvement given? From the information given in the post, if this sheath colour was the only issue (which is clearly tosh) I would suggest that your friends friend requests the details of the inspectors Professional indemnity insurers with a view to lodge a claim, as they may have been caused unneccessary loss of time and materials by improper advice.
 11 October 2012 07:34 PM

antric2

The only problem white cable dates back to about 1988\89 when Wickes or BuildersMate as the trade arm was called,sold white cable that was not upto British standard and was a bit iffy, alledgedley.I was told because I was rewiring my house with it at the time and when I went back for a couple of mor reels,Iwas given the info by the store as it had been removed from its shelves.
Any white low smoke stuff installed now is a better cable than the standard grey PVC.
Regards
Antric
 11 October 2012 07:49 PM

weirdbeard

Hi antric, from my understanding the white/grey thing just used to be one of those area dependant things - in some areas white T+E was the norm, and in other areas grey was most commonly used with white being considered DIYish, though I think nowadays new white cable = LSOH, though theres surely some old stock about to confuse the issue, either way the colour of T+E's sheath shouldn't be an issue for a building inspector assuming it's a domestic installation.
 11 October 2012 07:52 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: antric2

Any white low smoke stuff installed now is a better cable than the standard grey PVC.

I don't neccessarily agree that its better in a domestic situation, hopefully by the time an inferno is raging enough to burn the cables, the occupants will have evacuated!
 11 October 2012 08:38 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: weirdbeard

I don't neccessarily agree that its better in a domestic situation, hopefully by the time an inferno is raging enough to burn the cables, the occupants will have evacuated!

Evening Weirdbeard,
Yes, ,I agree for a normal domestic house white smoke cable might be a bit of overkill compared to cost nowadays.
Anyway,the couple of hundred metres of the Wickes white stuff I temporarily fitted in my still current house, is due a look at and I suppose I had better finish off the rewire I started then in1988
I wonder if I could still use the 15th cert for the job......only kidding!!
Regards
Antric
 11 October 2012 11:11 PM

peteTLM

The expression 'twin and skin' would not apply. More like, twin in a hard plastic extrusion a bit like a bomb shelter'

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 13 October 2012 05:55 PM

mistercohen

All cable sold locall to me (brighton area) was white sheathed BASEC approved I must add, from when I started work mid seventies up until harmonisation (did not know it came in other colours).
I did a job in brum a long time ago and arranged delivery from CEF in Reditch. Was surprise when cable delivered was grey sheathed.
When I asked at my local wholesaler I was informed that "all T&E is grey up north". I just accepted it as one of those strange things that adds colour to our work life.
On harmonisation, all the local cable started to come in grey sheath. Again I assumed that it was done on purpose to allow visual identification of old from new harmonised cable at inspection time. I also thought/assumed that up north you had all gone white sheathed. Just goes to prove that you should never assume......
 14 October 2012 07:27 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: mistercohen
I did a job in brum a long time ago and arranged delivery from CEF in Reditch. Was surprise when cable delivered was grey sheathed.

When I asked at my local wholesaler I was informed that "all T&E is grey up north". I just accepted it as one of those strange things that adds colour to our work life.

I think it's called the North-South divide.
I don't know where 'The North' starts, Newport Pagnell perhaps.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » T&E

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.