Increase font size
Topic Title: Products query
Topic Summary: new light fittings
Created On: 08 October 2012 01:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 October 2012 01:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

whjohnson

I wouldn't normally ask this kind of question here but I have drawn a complete blank so far in my quest to source some replacement light fittings.
Basically, there are 13 semi-recessed light fittings in a very large lounge which the client would liked replaced.

The fittings are 1970's legacy items semi-flushed into a tongue & grooved wooden ceiling - to be honest it looks more like a 70's cruise liner lounge at the moment!

Each fitting when removed completely, leaves a seven and a quarter inch hole in the ceiling. The fittings have an aluminium domed reflector shell which is recessed into the ceiling boarding, and a riven glass type shade which protrudes below, The lampholders are standard BC type.

Overboarding and plastering the ceiling is not an option since the client wishes to retain the existing natural wood finish.

So, my question - I am asking if anyone with a better product knowledge than mine, knows of any up-to-date- more fashionable light fittings which would utilize the existing 7 & 1/2" holes?

Another thought I had was to just replace the existing lamps with some kind of LED lamp with a standard sized BC cap?

Comments and suggestions very welcome!

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 08 October 2012 01:24 PM

OMS

Another thought I had was to just replace the existing lamps with some kind of LED lamp with a standard sized BC cap?

Why not just refurb the luminaires in total - given that the architectural aesthtic matches the space, then you could rewire them totally with CFL, LED or even tungsten.

If you want an off the shelf recessed LED unit, try Thorlux, thier G4 range - that's about a 71/2" recess unit

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 08 October 2012 02:07 PM

impvan

Why not just refurb the luminaires in total - given that the architectural aesthtic matches the space, then you could rewire them totally

That's the route I'd go down. I'm about to engage on a similar job with some 1960's fully recessed Thorn fittings with deep baffled liners, which the client is keen to retain. I've done an experimental conversion using Acriche LED modules which are direct-on-mains. They give a good output (although would benefit from optics), and are utterly immune from the ceiling vibrations which were killing the old R80's. Cheap enough to play with, from CPC/Farnell.
 08 October 2012 02:22 PM

whjohnson

Thanks guys,

By 'refurb', do you mean just relamp with something else?

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 08 October 2012 04:37 PM

OMS

Not just relamp - rip the guts out, rewire and fit a new lampholder or fit control gear and new lamps or control gear and an LED panel - the gear could of course go in a box remote but adjacent the fitting (in the void perhaps)

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 09 October 2012 06:49 AM

normcall

They sound like the semi-recessed Thorn fittings I have in my bathroom.
If so, they were a commercial fitting (I used to do a lot of shopfitting work) which had a basic aluminium domed enclosure that clipped into a false ceiling and a variety of attachments from aluminium louvres to glass opal or crystal.
We've just put some philips 9.5w LED lamps in ours and the colour isn't the usual redy warm white they do - the colour temp is exactly the same as the 'low energy ones removed, but the difference is astounding.

Norman
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.