Increase font size
Topic Title: 7 day cooling off period
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 October 2012 02:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 October 2012 02:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Rum1

Further to my recent post, i am NOW aware of the 7 day cooling off period you have to give customers. Not sure how well it was publicised but hardly any of my fellow small contractors are aware of it, like i wasn't.

But i don't want to get caught out by scheming customers and want to put something in "my small print" to cover myself.

I don't want to have to add pages of text to each and every quote. Does anyone know of any good examples of how to add this info to estimates?
and/or do you have to give a "Right to cancel form" to every customer and also get them to sign a Waiver Form for all work starting within 7 days?

Seems a pain for small little £50.00 jobs you're squeezing in next day? But want to cover my ass!!
 02 October 2012 02:23 PM

Rum1

All ready to use examples most welcome!!! Thanks in advance
 02 October 2012 02:56 PM

AJJewsbury

FYI there was a discussion here a while ago: http://www.theiet.org/Forums/f...tid=205&threadid=25854 - with some useful looking external links (some of which might still work).
- Andy.
 02 October 2012 03:47 PM

alanblaby

Not sure if this link will work:
www .elecsa.co.uk/Documents/Contractor-Documents/General-Downloads/CancellationNotice_June2011.aspx

Remove the space after www and it shoud work
 02 October 2012 06:18 PM

Rum1

Thanks for replies

That Elecsa form is quite good and i might well use that in future!!

...and i'll check out that link too...thanks
 02 October 2012 06:22 PM

hifly

here is a link to mine, feel free to copy and mod as needed

http://www.electric-works.co.uk/Terms&Conditions.htm

-------------------------
Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

02 October 2012 07:10 PM

Rum1

Thanks for that Vince, Very generous of you to share!
 02 October 2012 08:50 PM

antric2

Trading standards have template letters for contractors to use of both situations(waiver form and cooling off period form)
Regards
Antric
 04 October 2012 09:28 AM

Rum1

Thought i'd give Trading Standards a ring to see if they have any sample forms etc for this 7 day cooling off period. When i eventually got through i spoke to a nice lady who was very keen to explain it all.

According to her - if i get a call and am invited to visit a customer (as you generally are) , pop round, see the work to be done, go away, then send them a written estimate and wait a response - the 7 day cooling off does not apply!! This is because the they will have had time to think about the estimate and compare it with other estimates etc - even if it all happens within a few days!

The 7 day cooling off period only really applies if i was to go round to a customers house to give an estimate and agree a price + book in the work there and then etc - therefore not giving them any chance to "think about it"

She also seemed to indicate that for "Emergency" work, when you are to start fault finding/ carry out repairs straight away - its a bit of a grey area - it's best to issue the "Right to cancel" forms and get the waiver signed - to cover you own back!!
I guess this is the case because you could start fault finding and the customer (getting worried about the cost) could stop you half way through and refuse to pay and saying it wasn't an "Emergency" - just a repair job etc.

Was interesting to know. So in my recent "hassles" with a customer it seems the 7 day cooling off wouldn't apply as i sent them a written estimate - they had other estimates - and they contacted me to accept.

So they can't throw that at me should things go to court!!
 04 October 2012 01:02 PM

Avatar for timothyboler                                      .
timothyboler

"(c) Where work is to extend or modify existing circuits, cost estimates assume that the existing installation is in adequate condition and complies with minimum current regulations."

Not trying to be picky but if I asked you to install some more kitchen sockets wired to a "pre-17th" board are you going to charge on top of your quote for the RCDs? Was thinking it should say "minimum regulations in force at the time of installation".

Regards, Tim

Everyone loves a fireman - but hates the fire inspector.
 04 October 2012 01:49 PM

Rum1

Originally posted by: timothyboler

"(c) Where work is to extend or modify existing circuits, cost estimates assume that the existing installation is in adequate condition and complies with minimum current regulations."

Not trying to be picky but if I asked you to install some more kitchen sockets wired to a "pre-17th" board are you going to charge on top of your quote for the RCDs? Was thinking it should say "minimum regulations in force at the time of installation".

Regards, Tim

I wondered where that quote came from to start but it's from Vince (Hifly) terms & conditions.
Always an awkward one but have to agree with Hifly that things should comply with latest/current regulations. Especially in special locations etc.
A socket circuit downstairs installed to the 16th Edition regs should i imagine have an RCD in place already. (as the sockets could be used for appliances outdoors potentially etc etc). Prior to that, no RCD requirements for RCD's on sockets (Unless one already in place on a TT system etc) so there maybe no RCD in place at all.
But if i was to go to a kitchen to add sockets today - there would have to be RCD protection in place for the new sockets/work to comply with 17th edition. On top of that, the chances are cables are recessed less than 50mm into the walls and so RCD's required again.
You would have to introduce an RCD (or RCBO if available to fit existing Consumer unit) at an "extra" cost to comply.

Its an old issue though. Customer has old wylex fuse board, no equipotential bonding or supplementary bonds etc and wants a new mirror light in the bathroom and say a seperate shaver socket in the bathroom too. They want the cables chopped into the walls (just enough to allow for new tiles etc).
To meet the regs, what should be a small job of installing a couple of cables off the lighting circuit above (assuming circuits earthed) turns into a much bigger job. Bonding is required, RCD protection is required to meets 17th regs & Part P etc. If you're issuing certificates on the job its got to be done and charged for....sadly you've a difficult task of competing with the corner cutters and cowboys!!

Each individual's choice though - work to the regs or don't!!
 04 October 2012 07:23 PM

hifly

Its not perfect but then when is any document of this type?

feel free to copy and change as you feel best suits your needs.

At the end of the day for domestic sparks its just a back covering exercise.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Edited: 04 October 2012 at 07:30 PM by hifly
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.