Increase font size
Topic Title: Electric irons in HMO's.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01 October 2012 06:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 October 2012 06:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

A local letting agent insists that for a HMO certain domestic items have to be supplied by the landlord.

These include a microwave, kettle, toaster and iron. She said everything electrical needs testing, so out came the PAT tester.

So a decision has to be made on the recommended retest period, the first three the microwave, kettle, toaster I settled on portable appliances with a twelve month retest period.

Now for the iron, well no argument as to its definition its a hand held appliance, there is a picture of one as an example of this type of equipment in the book.

So retest period six months? There are five bedrooms all with double beds, there should be five tenants one per room, but hey ho! there could easily be times there are ten people about so the iron could get fair usage.

My first thought is does the landlord really need to supply a iron or should tenants supply their own for their own personal use?

Second thought is going to test a iron every six months will be a real nuisance, I said to the agent I'd do better to get some spares and swop them over every six months or even just replace it every six months with a new one, so I can turn up with a tested iron and bring the other one away to check at my own leisure. I could easily turn up and find someone has the iron locked in their room or no one in the house at the time I call can locate it.

Any thoughts?

Andy
 01 October 2012 07:57 PM

sparkingchip

Replying to my own post again! Looking at websites to see if the landlord really needs to supply a iron, this list I found even includes a wok!
"Furnishings -Each room must have adequate furniture for the Tenants' need and we list below the minimum for an average 4 bedroom property. Some wall pictures can be included.

Lounge - Three piece suite, or two sofas, or four lounge chairs, coffee table. Occasional light.
Dining Room - Dining table, chairs sideboard/dresser/storage.
Kitchen - Modern cooker, fridge/freezer or separate units, washing machine, tumble dryer, (in an apartment consider a washer/dryer) Microwave - not essential, but becoming more popular.
Kitchen equipment - Crockery, cutlery, glasses, cooking knives, chopping board, saucepans, frying pan, wok, electric kettle, toaster, coffee/tea mugs/cups/saucers, colander, baking tins, bottle and can opener etc.
Bedrooms - Beds (complying to Fire and Furnishing regulations), with mattress protectors, wardrobe, bedside table, bedside lights, chair, chest of drawers/dressing table, adequate storage for the number of occupants.
Bathroom/shower room - shaver point, wall cabinet, toilet roll holder and towel rail.
General Household equipment-Vacuum cleaner and tools, brushes, dustpan, ironing board & iron.
Garden equipment- Unless you are providing a gardening service, you should supply a lawn mower (that is capable of cutting long grass if the tenant misses some cuts), spade, fork, rake, shear, hoe, wheelbarrow, ladder etc. You might also like to consider supplying garden furniture.
General: Make sure there are sufficient TV& telephone sockets around the property Most tenants usually have a computer these days and require Internet access."
 01 October 2012 08:29 PM

stateit

Well, there's not going to be much left out of the tenant's deposits after that lot has been broken, is there?

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 01 October 2012 08:37 PM

Dave69

max of 6 months for everything, if it doesn't belong to them they wont bother to look after it, but at about £1 per item per test is it really even worth the agro??????
 01 October 2012 08:39 PM

sparkingchip

I didn't think that with a HMO the idea was you could turn up with a bag of clothes, a bag of food and some toiletries such as soap and live, I have always assumed that you would need some personal effects including a iron, radio, TV and the like.

Andy
 01 October 2012 09:06 PM

sparkingchip

A quid each for PAT? Part of the full package, installation inspection and PAT at the same time without a itemisation on the costings.

However, (you'll get used to me saying that) the landlords might decide they can get the PAT free!

http://www.directlineforbusiness.co.uk/gec

But they won't include checking the iron every six months free, it'll be once a year when the insurance premium is paid. But they'll be insured!

Andy
 01 October 2012 09:08 PM

slittle

What really annoys me with HMO's and let properties in general is the letting agents insist on PAT testing on everything but don't give a *!$% about the fixed wiring.

I've got a couple of "friendly landlords" who get pushed for pat testing by their agents every year (or less) but have never been asked about the state of the fixed wiring.

Time for some education me thinks

Stu
 01 October 2012 09:19 PM

sparkingchip

We'd make more money offering an inventory service such as the one offered by company providing the onsite service for the "free" PAT offered by Direct Line Insurance, counting and taking photos of everything.

http://www.vibrantenergymatter...ntory-services/

Andy
 02 October 2012 09:36 AM

rougediablo

Have a look at the "renting" section of this article in the latest Wiring Matters which says that aplliances should be safe when 1st suppiled. I would take this to mean at each change of tennant.

Changes To IET's COP
 03 October 2012 11:41 PM

sparkingchip

You could read that differently to how the seem to have interpreted it.

Having said that it's been a long day and I have spent this late evening partially setting up a new all singing and dancing printer, so I have printed a copy to read tomorrow and it may look different then.

Andy
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.