Increase font size
Topic Title: boilers and certification
Topic Summary: combi swaps
Created On: 01 October 2012 01:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 October 2012 01:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

bigbazsparky

hi there hoping for some advice from anyone? i was speaking to Napit at the weekend for there view but they couldnt really give me a definate answer..........
if a boiler company i.e. heating engineers were changing boilers to more efficient combi boilers what electrical certificate would be expected to be issued? im thinking maybe a minor works one? what electrical qualifications if any would the heating engineers be expected to hold? would they be expected to cross bond under the boilers and what about gas/water bonds? if they arent in place are they liable to fit them or upgrade them where needed?

many thanks Baz
 01 October 2012 02:32 PM

alanblaby

Certify a like for like boiler swap, no, I don't bother. A new spur, then I do.
Probably best for a Minor Works, to confirm it has been done correctly.
Gas Regs say the gas must be bonded. The first thing my gas fitter mate does is check the meter and bonding. He doesnt seem too bothered about the water pipes. But, if you are connecting up, then you should be checking it before you start, and remedying where necessary.
Cross bonding under boilers - why? If the boiler maker says to do it, then do it, otherwise, no.
 01 October 2012 03:09 PM

AJJewsbury

I agree - good practice would be to treat it as minor works and test & certify via MWC; but a good lawyer could argue that (in extreme cases at least - e.g. disconnect flexes from old boiler, connect into new) that all the work is covered by appliance standards rather than BS 7671, so the determined could well be able to get away without any wiring regs considerations at all.

So probably just down to the new boiler's manufacturer's instructions...

- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.