Increase font size
Topic Title: Hourly rate for Maintenance
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 September 2012 02:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 September 2012 02:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

brian1962

Due to lack of electrical work ! Up North ; ) I have taken a job on that was advertised as Handyman required for a 360,000 sq foot logistics company. Duties were ; painting, plumbing drilling !! I know ; ) but that is how it was advertised. £9 per hour. great for a while. But they have found out that i am a spark and have thrown in the odd socket in and fault finding jobs. Then they discussed amongst themselves that they could save money and get me to pat test this buildings IT items and a big call centre they have plus another 2 office blocks. So about 1000 to 1500 items. Then another bloke thought it would be good if i could do some minor electrical work on the wagons, etc,etc. Adding more responseabilitys day by day. So i decided on Friday after 7 months of working for them, to say " I want more money or i will leave in a month " within 1 minute the Director said " Notice accecpted " So i'm out of work again, just wondered if anybody thinks i,m out of order ??
 30 September 2012 02:54 PM

brian1962

I also do the body work repair for 25 forklift trucks, all the plumbing there, plus repair the racking and anything else that crops up, the pat testing just felt like the last straw, believe me there is not a minute spare and the pat testing would have to be weekend or nights !!!!!
 30 September 2012 03:06 PM

Pacific

Out of order?, depends how much you need the dosh, how far oop north are you, I have been struggling a bit for the last two years and been applying for jobs, but the money on offer is a bit better than £9/h

Edited: 30 September 2012 at 05:01 PM by Pacific
 30 September 2012 04:37 PM

24Hour

Sign of the miserable times, sadly.
Things aint no better here in the south, im working only 2 days a week during daytime, i am finding that people are putting off any repairs however bad untill they really do go wrong, ie callout on sat night to smell of burning to fuseboard which has been going on 3 weeks when shower is used.
Punters are phoneing me saying they have been quotedm x amount , would i do it for less, etc
Thing is though these jobs are so small that changing a smashed socket for a tenner wont even pay the fuel. Totally true.

Keep your chin up and have faith that you made the right decision at your choosing.

-------------------------
Yes i do do 24/7 everyday of the FLAMIN year.
 30 September 2012 04:49 PM

Rulland

Is it just me?, are other people beginning to realise that this 'Great Nation' is turning very, very sour, through no fault of the 'natives'.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 30 September 2012 05:03 PM

Pacific

I think it started turning about 20 years ago after the last recession
 30 September 2012 05:03 PM

dg66

I wouldnt give them a month,just walk and tell em to stick the job where the sun dont shine.
I do sympathise though,after losing a well paid job last year i found the going rate for an approved spark,17th ed ,2391 etc was between £8.50 and £12 an hour,so i got out after 30 years and am now doing something different.

Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 30 September 2012 05:38 PM

Rum1

It is tough times out there and everyone is trying to bleed the workers dry...bosses under pressure to make savings to earn their bonus - so pass on the stress. Country going down pan for last 20+ years in many work areas - engineering, industry, sparkin....sad days!

I moved over to Domestic work (my own jobs) - so at least i got some regular pay - even these customers and pay masters are becoming harder work. See my post today...it's getting so hard to earn an honest living!

If someone is taking the pee too much like in your case...and making you unhappy...then why not move on...
 30 September 2012 06:11 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: brian1962
Due to lack of electrical work ! Up North ; ) I have taken a job on that was advertised as Handyman required for a 360,000 sq foot logistics company. Duties were ; painting, plumbing drilling !! I know ; ) ?

Did you not get an employment contract?
If so, what did it day about your duties?
 30 September 2012 06:58 PM

dg66

you could also look at claiming constructive dismissal

Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 03 October 2012 11:44 AM

Kendo1

If its anything like our company, the contract will say "you will do anything you are capable of doing, as directed"

Kendo
 03 October 2012 01:24 PM

zeeper

I want more money or i will leave in a month

Big mistake sorry but, I would never do that. The ball is in his court now if you really are a value to them he can make you sweat for a month before offering you an extra 25pence an hour. Some bosses just dont like being threatened. As far as they can see odd job chaps are ten a penny.
What you should have done is got another job lined up and then gone to your boss and said, "so and so have offered me this much, can you match it, and I'll stay".
 03 October 2012 02:20 PM

Grumpy

I don't think you were out of order only a little rash. Many yeaars ago, in a different life, I was on the point of sending a stroppy memo to my boss along the lines of "if you don't do . . . . . then I'll do . ." and my colleague said I wouldn't phrase it like that because if they say no you'll have a problem. The wording was changed to " I urge you to consider my proposal". It was a win win - I kept my job and they agreed to the proposal!
Similarly, rather than making threats (which no boss will tolerate) you would have been better off saying that you felt that the increasing electrical work was outside the remit of a typical handyman and would they consider an increase in your wages to reflect this.
If the answer is no, keep your trap shut and use it as a spur to find a better job and then tell them to shove it. After all £9.hr certainly aint great but it's better than nowt!
 04 October 2012 07:43 PM

GJH

I would have refused to do the extra work and asked your boss to get someone else in to do it.

He would be paying a hell of a lot more than £9ph!! Should have reminded him about that.

Seems like he was after a cheap job done. Hard times out there, but you can get almost £9ph at Aldi.

You are a skilled tradesman and need to be recognised for it.

This is how much our trade has been devalued.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.