Increase font size
Topic Title: 230v gu10 above shower.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 September 2012 05:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 September 2012 05:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

koicarpus

A family member of a friend of mine has had a lot of work done to their house, and it seems the builder has done some alterations to the kitchen and bathroom. I'm pretty sure he isn't Part P compliant but we haven't established those details yet.
The first query they have asked me to look at is the installation of some 230v downlights above a shower which are not IPX4 rated.
The ceiling is above 2.25m so not in any zone.
Can anybody help in finding any regs that say this is not aloud.
I have read through Chapter 701 and there isn't anything there specifying certain luminaires above a shower.
The guide to the building regulations says on page 65 that luminaires above a shower must be IPX4 rated, but that's all I can find at the moment.
Many Thanks
Dave
 28 September 2012 06:10 PM

daveparry1

Should be suitable for the environment whether in a zone or not! (doesn't sound like they are)

Dave.
 28 September 2012 06:24 PM

koicarpus

Yes I agree, but they're asking if there is any associated regs that they can use to confront the builder with.
If they are not suitable for the environment then surely there should be some regs about it?
 28 September 2012 06:24 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: koicarpus

The first query they have asked me to look at is the installation of some 230v downlights above a shower which are not IPX4 rated.

The ceiling is above 2.25m so not in any zone.

Can anybody help in finding any regs that say this is not aloud.

If the shower is not of the fixed head type, at a tenuous stretch you could say that the equipment exposed to water jets should meet IPX5, though generally speaking this could also be applied to any type of equipment out of zones in a typical bathroom, such as a ceiling pull switch.
 01 October 2012 01:41 PM

AJJewsbury

If they are not suitable for the environment then surely there should be some regs about it?

132.5.1 "The design of the electrical installation shall take into account the environmental conditions to which it will be subjected".

If it's outside zones, you're into the realm of opinion about whether a certain piece of equipment is suitable or not (chapter 32 of the regs is still rather brief), unless you're lucky and can find something in the manufacturer's instructions....

- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.