Increase font size
Topic Title: Can I carry out EICR
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 September 2012 07:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 September 2012 07:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stillon7029

Hi, just finding out from regular sparks if I can supply the necessary
test cert that would satisfy a landlords certificate?

I am a qualified Approved electrician and semi retired and have taken and received 17th C and G but have not taken 2391.

I do a few installations per year but mostly Industrial and Agricultural so have not taken part P as if I do a domestic installation I notify building control.

The question is I have been asked to carry out a test and report on a rented property for a family member and produce a cert for the landlord.
I assume this is EICR form 6 ?

Am I allowed to do this and if so how far do I take it with regards to full inspection including continuity on ring mains , or should I call in a NEIC or similar contractor?

Many thanks in advance for advice.

Stillon 7029
 26 September 2012 08:53 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: stillon7029
I do a few installations per year but mostly Industrial and Agricultural so have not taken part P as if I do a domestic installation I notify building control.

Part P doesn't apply to EICR's.

Anyone can carry out EICR's, but it's your signature on it, so needless to say, you need to know what you're doing.

As to the extent of testing required, agree it with your customer beforehand.
 26 September 2012 08:59 PM

daveparry1

Stillon, I take it that you and your client are aware that there's no legal requirement for a landlords certificate for electrics in a rental property?
(unlike gas!)

Dave.
 26 September 2012 09:41 PM

rutts

Originally posted by: daveparry1

Stillon, I take it that you and your client are aware that there's no legal requirement for a landlords certificate for electrics in a rental property?

(unlike gas!)

Dave.

Tut, tut. It's an EICR. Landlord certificate is the tongue of the landlords!!

As for the OP. As stated anyone can carry out an EICR but do you have the experience, insurance and knowhow? You've got to be willing to stick a signature on a report stating it's satisfactory for ALL who use for the period of time you'v written on the report.
 26 September 2012 09:47 PM

stillon7029

Mike, thanks for the info, to satisfy the periodic inspection should I just use forms 6 or should I also use 4 and 7? With regards to customer/relative they will go for which ever is needed as they will want all full stops dotted and t's crossed

Dave thanks, no I did not know that there is not a legal requirement for a landlords cert , how ever this is the 5 year PI inspection which is advised on rental property.( Sorry should have stated PI not landlords cert )

Thanks

PS Thanks Rutts just dusting off the Quill !!!

Edited: 26 September 2012 at 09:58 PM by stillon7029
 26 September 2012 09:51 PM

daveparry1

The OP mentioned a landlords certificate Rutts, I was just pointing out that it was not required. A chap I know has several properties that he lets out through the local council and they are quite happy with the visual reports I do for him,

Dave.
 26 September 2012 09:55 PM

rutts

I was only jesting Dave. Hence the smiley.
What ever form they take be it visual or otherwise they are still a report. At the end of the day, it's whatever the customer is happy to pay you for.
 26 September 2012 10:19 PM

daveparry1

Agreed Rutts, I do try to avoid doing EICR's, far too much responsibility I reckon especially since the changes earlier in the year. I do quite like doing the visual condition reports though although I do a bit more than is asked for on the form, eg some Zs tests and usualy a Ze test too. I usualy get some remedial worrk too which is handy,

Dave.
 26 September 2012 10:34 PM

rutts

I don't mind EICR's too much. Especially on rentals when they're empty. No overheads plus, as you've mentioned, remedials. You pick up a nice little bit of work from em.

It's occupied, furnished houses that are a pain.
 27 September 2012 09:16 AM

stillon7029

Thank you for the info, it was to find out if I could officially do it.
 27 September 2012 10:26 AM

spinlondon

You can do it.
The only problem, is whether whoever the EICR is for will accept it.
The Local Authority where Daveparry is, accept his visuals, whereas in my area, the Local Authority will only accept reports from scheme members.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.