IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Water bonded to MET and Gas to an earth rod????
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 August 2012 12:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 August 2012 12:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Hello All,
Never come across this before so advice please.
Checked bonding done by shower installer couple of months ago before I started my work.1 length of 10mm to internal water stop tap and then unbroken loop to( or so I thought) to external gas box.I disconnected at met end and got excellent conti reading to the gas meter.
Did the job and by chance I went back to the job yesterday just to collect a tool and noticed that the gas was bonded to a 5mm piece of metal rod stuck in the ground.I hadnt seen this before because there was building rubbish covering all that area and the 10mm looked like it was going into the house so presumed wrong.
I will have to go back and run a 10mm now to bond the gas direct but why was the gas bonded to a rod in this way and seperate.
The good continuity comes from the cross bond at the boiler.
Good job I saw this as I am due NIC assessment and this is one of the jobs I might have used.
Regards
Antric
 31 August 2012 01:05 PM

Ricicle

I have seen a guy in a wholesalers once who was told by his 'plumber' that the gas wasn't bonded. He was in there buying an earth rod so he could 'earth the gas'. Don't know whether he had been told to do it this way or had decided himself.
Needless to say I had to have a little word !

-------------------------
Empty barrels make the most noise.
 31 August 2012 01:14 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

I came across this recently when a gas "engineer" went to a property where I had done some work (which included gas and water bonding) to do a check of some kind or another and told the client that the gas pipe had to be connected to an earth rod whithin 600mm of the meter!

Dave.
 31 August 2012 01:27 PM

antric2

Even after all these years I still havnt learned to stop presuming things...Doh!!
It would have been straight to re assessment visit if I hadnt seen it by this chance visit, so again lesson taken!
But it proves point again really that visual inspection and testing are a must together.
Antric
 31 August 2012 04:29 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: antric2

Checked bonding done by shower installer couple of months ago before I started my work.1 length of 10mm to internal water stop tap and then unbroken loop to( or so I thought) to external gas box.

Just out of interest, where did the unbroken loop from the MET go to after it left the water stop tap?
 31 August 2012 06:11 PM

baldelectrician

Originally posted by: daveparry1

I came across this recently when a gas "engineer" went to a property where I had done some work (which included gas and water bonding) to do a check of some kind or another and told the client that the gas pipe had to be connected to an earth rod whithin 600mm of the meter!

Dave.

You must realise that all gas engineers are gods and always correct (even when they are usually wrong with electrics)

Mere mortal sparks look in awe and wonder at such knowlege

baldelectrician.com
 31 August 2012 08:15 PM

KFH

I was surprised to find exactly the same on a TT installation. The customer had put in an earth mat when building an extension as he had been told the ground locally was a poor earth. Ze of 15 Ohm. The Gas was bonded to a twig stuck in next to the meter so no idea how high its Ra will be, he thinks it was put in when the gas supply was installed. Have quoted for fixing it but have not heard yet. I assume the lack of any earth terminal in the electricity meter cabinet (next to the gas meter) confused the gas engineer.
 31 August 2012 09:15 PM

peteTLM

Ive seen a few like this. Even worse, they were correctly done back to the met at the house and then had a rod outside.

All the plumbers think of is EARTH. They dont realise anything about potential difference......

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 31 August 2012 10:27 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: weirdbeard

Originally posted by: antric2

Checked bonding done by shower installer couple of months ago before I started my work.1 length of 10mm to internal water stop tap and then unbroken loop to( or so I thought) to external gas box.

Just out of interest, where did the unbroken loop from the MET go to after it left the water stop tap?

Good question Weirdbeard!
Because I did conti test from MET end, disconnected, to gas pipe, I initially thought it was a straight run.Where the looped part from the stoptap goes is anybodies guess.I am going to have to go under the floor to feed 10mm to gas meter so will try to find where it is.
The continuity has been there because of the crossbonded boiler but this would have been a definite eyebrow raiser from my NIC assessor because even though I tested correctly, I would have given false understanding of the bonding because I had made a presumption about one end of the gas 10mm

In future, I am going to disconnect both ends of a 10mm bond.
Regards
Antric
 01 September 2012 08:55 PM

GJH

I bet the plumber charged the customer £300 for the privelage!

Bet they didn't query it either!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.