Topic Title: JIB CARD
Topic Summary: What are the chances?
Created On: 28 August 2012 07:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 August 2012 07:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Jobbo

I guess they have to have some form of competence based qualification to gain a grade, otherwise everyone would have one, making it less of a value then it is now. Before we had approved apprenticeships, now we have NVQs. Let's not forget, the level 3 tech certs (2360, 2330 etc) can be gained without any electrical installation practical skills being undertaken

A friend of mine ditched his football career and undertook his 2330 level 2 & 3 in under 6 months! He now thinks he's fully qualified, yet hasn't lifted a screwdriver.
 29 August 2012 07:44 PM

OMS

There are many ways to demonstrate competence - lets not forget that competence is a multifaceted thing - you need qualification, experience and the right approach - what JIB don't do is evaluate those facets to see if the whole meet the criteria to be an electrician

I know very competent electricians who have little or no formal electrical qualifications and do an excellent installation and an equal amount who have certificates to spare but I wouldn't trust to change a lamp, quite frankly.

If we want at least some benchmark for comparison then I think JIB need to get a bit more worldly wise - i can't see it though

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 29 August 2012 09:47 PM

slittle

Originally posted by: John Peckham

I have just heard from my friend and he passed his H&S test his paperwork was assessed and he was graded guess what, " A trainee"!

He was told he needed to get an NVQ3 and he could be graded approved electrician. Without an NVQ3 or grandfathers rights you can only be a labourer or trainee regardless of other qualifications or experience.

I'm not old enough to be a grandfather John, but mine is on rights

Stu
 29 August 2012 09:49 PM

slittle

Originally posted by: jcm256

You can join as a small contractor as well (JIB Firm) if you have minimum of two People employed. Would the advantage out way the cost, on top of all the other costs, if you did would it eliminate joining the other clubs, otherwise must be of some benefit. (To small contractors that is).

Electrical contractors, as well as cabling and joining contractors, are eligible to join JIB. To join as an electrical contractor, the company must employ a minimum of two people (one of them can be the owner) and have been in business for a minimum of 12 months. The company must be operating in one of the following locations to be eligible:

http://www.electricalqualifications.com/jib.html

The advantages to a company are around the JIB holiday pay and medical schemes. There used to be an employers NI loophole but I believe the previous government put pay to that.

The medical insurance I have to say is worth every penny (when you fall off things like I did)

Stu
 29 August 2012 09:57 PM

Fm

I will stick mine on ebay !
Only joking
Not on the tools, but like to keep all the cards in order.
Last subcontractor had a guy helping the s
Ark he was a jib registered pipe fitter!, sure it was instrument of course
 01 September 2012 08:29 AM

GJH

I've got a mate who passed his 2360 before 1996 and his am2 but jib said that he still had to do his nvq level 3. They have given him a "labourer" card so he can get on site. the company he works for say they may even downgrade his rate as he isn't recognised as an electrician!!! Funny how it suits them in that respect, but they won't pay the jib rates of pay anyway.

I have got the gold "technician" card, I did the old c certificate back in the day.
 02 September 2012 10:00 PM

jcm256

Probably JIB Grandfathers rights will die off in the next decade, due to no one left to grandfather. Nevertheless, who will replace them; it probably will be the next generation of NVQ Level 3 in Electrical Installation electricians, which was all the talk some while ago, as being the only way to be a qualified electrician for either JIB registered or a domestic electrician.

Ninety Seven Thousand Four Hundred and Eleven electricians signed up for courses last year
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10941674

There are approximately 106,000 qualified electricians in the UK but only 13,000 registered in any of the voluntary schemes run by industry bodies
Read more http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/ho...8#ixzz25KM1XWQJ

The market is saturated, nobody enjoys taking yet more money from poor householders (in the pretence that it will not cost you nothing up front for my fee and work done) The Green Deal allows householders, business and other organisations to make energy efficiency improvements to their properties at no upfront cost.
However to supplement income Electricians (as anybody else can) get The New NVQ Level 3 City & Guilds 6066 Green Deal Domestic Advice (Assessor), in 4 days. These courses have sprung up all over the place recently. Who knows that qualification may be on your gold card in the future?
(Moreover, you know who will run it if they get UKAS certification).
You can read that one for yourself.
Regards.
jcm

Edited: 03 September 2012 at 08:25 AM by jcm256
 03 September 2012 01:53 PM

biff55

Originally posted by: GJH

I've got a mate who passed his 2360 before 1996 and his am2 but jib said that he still had to do his nvq level 3.

Your friend should appeal ;
From page 1 of the ECS application form -

CARD REQUIREMENTS

CRAFT CARD ELECTRICIAN / INDUSTRY REQUIREMENTS

Please ensure you enclose a copy of Apprenticeship Deeds or Completion Certificate plus Bona Fide References from your employers for the discipline and grade you are applying for.
OR
City & Guilds 2360 Parts One & Two Achieved before 1996 Plus an AM2 Test. And a Bona Fide References from your previous and present employers.

They should at least stick to their own criteria.
And brush up on using correct grammar.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » JIB CARD

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.