Topic Title: JIB CARD
Topic Summary: What are the chances?
Created On: 28 August 2012 07:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 August 2012 07:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

John Peckham

One of my former 2391 students (successful) is going to the JIB tomorrow to take the fast track ECS test and the fast track JIB grading.

He has a "JIB trainee Card" from 7 years ago. He has C&G 2360, 2381, 2382, 2391, 2377 and is an NICEIC Approved Contractor QS having progressed from NICEIC DI some years ago.

I have provided him with a reference describing his range of work that I have inspected.

What do you think his chances of being graded as an electrician without NVQ3?

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 28 August 2012 07:12 PM

OMS

Approaching zero, John - they simply won't or can't see past the NVQ issue.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 28 August 2012 07:19 PM

Fm

Why does he need a jib or indeed a sjjib card.
Id rather have a new visa card!
 28 August 2012 07:30 PM

John Peckham

Like a lot of self employed electrical contractors he is short of work and is hoping to do some site work where a JIB card is needed.

John Peckham

28 August 2012 07:37 PM

Jobbo

John

Providing he done his 2360 part 2 before 1996, no problem at all. They may well ask for an NET AM2 cert.

Wouldn't recommend the fast track, seems excessively priced and most applications are done in 3 weeks by post at a fraction of the cost

Besides, he could always do the nvq3, now that the registration has been extended another 6 months

Regards

Jobbo
 28 August 2012 07:41 PM

johnboy6083

im a "modern" electrician that undertook the 2360 whilst in the army, but then took the exams for the 2330 l3, and then NVQ3, 2391 ect

the 2360 was a much better and more in depth course. I think that anybody with this qualification should not have to do the NVQ3, as i remember the log book was builtl into the course anyway.
I wonder what will happen in years to come, when my qualifications are not recognised as being worthy of a JIB(or equivelant) card.
Most of the blokes who have the 2360 had much better training (in my opinion), and probably served complete apprenticeships.

i think that a new electrician should have the NVQ3, but an electrician who can demonstrate experience, knowledge of modern regs and a prevous electrical qualification shoyuld qualify.
 28 August 2012 07:58 PM

Zs

The chances are very slim JP. I have practically the same quals Just not sure what 2377 is but if it is PAT then I had the same quals when I applied, and turned up for my fast track bearing a reference from you.....I salute you with my JIB Trainee card ( well, I would if I knew where I had put it...)

Let us know how he gets on and tell him not to beg or get upset. He will not be treated like he has any qualifications at all. Parking is in the side streets opposite. And, while he is waiting for his trainee card to be decided upon, tell him to go to that big shopping ctr in Dartford for a quiet pizza and a beer. That was the best bit of my fast track day. Never again.

Zs
 28 August 2012 08:27 PM

dbullard

I haven't renewed mine either, unfortunately Idont think it has the esteem as it used to ...........
But I have been fortunate whilst being SE i have had enough work through the tough times to keep my head above the parrapet.

Good Luck to your friend JP I hope it pans out.

Regards

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 28 August 2012 09:51 PM

slittle

Just renewed mine. I got two for the price of one which really surprised me.

As well as my gold card with QS on it, I also got a white domestic installer scheme card (which surprised me somewhat)

To be honest I only really renewed it because a couple of customers we work for from time to time sometimes have equipment installed on the top of some interesting buildings and it solves the site access issue.

Stu
 28 August 2012 10:01 PM

daveparry1

I get a new JIB card every year, it's a white one with Domestic Installer, level A, Qualified Supervisor on it. All I have to do for renewal is send the form and a cheque for £10 and enclose a copy of my current niceic assessment report, I don't know why I bother to renew it as no one ever asks to see it but for a tenner a year I think it could be worth having?

Dave.
 28 August 2012 10:16 PM

Jobbo

I guess it depends on the type of work undertaken and if you could afford to turn down work if it was required

For us as a company, it's not worth the risk of losing a contract. Some sites are very strict
 29 August 2012 05:48 AM

Ed Whelan

I have a G&G and YHCFE (B) Certs (electrical Installation) from mid 70's + JIB Apprenticeship Indentured Cert & Card as registered Approved Electrician

I moved on into design & management roles, but are any of these these relevant today
 29 August 2012 07:43 AM

zeeper

This is the reason why I did the NVQ 3, its their card their rules. Suck it up and do the NVQ.
If you already have the 2360 or 2330 then thats half the nvq 3 completed straight away.
It will only take you 8 to 10 weeks to do with the likes of quick step. When I received my gold card there was no mention on the back of my 2360 parts 1 and 2, just the NVQ3 etc. So I guess they have moved on.
 29 August 2012 07:46 AM

spinlondon

When I got my card, I only had the 2360 and the 16th.
No mention of the 2360 on the back of the card.
 29 August 2012 10:22 AM

gkenyon

Yes, they only list what they call "relevant qualifications", which really means ones from a small list.

The argument is that there is limited space on the card, which, OK, I can see, but surely there are more "routes to competence" that could be accommodated to make the scheme more inclusive and accepted across the industry?

They will show your IET membership on some of the cards - but they tell me not EC(UK) qualifications.

Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET
 29 August 2012 01:37 PM

jcm256

You can join as a small contractor as well (JIB Firm) if you have minimum of two People employed. Would the advantage out way the cost, on top of all the other costs, if you did would it eliminate joining the other clubs, otherwise must be of some benefit. (To small contractors that is).

Electrical contractors, as well as cabling and joining contractors, are eligible to join JIB. To join as an electrical contractor, the company must employ a minimum of two people (one of them can be the owner) and have been in business for a minimum of 12 months. The company must be operating in one of the following locations to be eligible:

http://www.electricalqualifications.com/jib.html
 29 August 2012 03:56 PM

John Peckham

I have just heard from my friend and he passed his H&S test his paperwork was assessed and he was graded guess what, " A trainee"!
He was told he needed to get an NVQ3 and he could be graded approved electrician. Without an NVQ3 or grandfathers rights you can only be a labourer or trainee regardless of other qualifications or experience.

John Peckham

29 August 2012 05:32 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: OMS

Regards

OMS

bloody pathetic isn't it

regards

OMS

29 August 2012 05:59 PM

colinhaggett

Regards

OMS

bloody pathetic isn't it

regards

OMS

What annoys me the most is the lad who works for me has his gold card and who do the JIB think taught him his skills to pass the AM2?
 29 August 2012 06:14 PM

OMS

For sure they don't do irony Colin -

OMS

IET » Wiring and the regulations » JIB CARD

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.