Increase font size
Topic Title: want some company to offer me practical testing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 August 2012 07:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 August 2012 07:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

krishanc

Hello Just got my 2391 cert. I dont work as a electrican yet but want to do I&T for domestic first, how can I get some company to offer me the chance, I have a limited company and insurance as well but not registered with a body like NICEIC KC
 28 August 2012 03:08 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alanblaby

Paid for Inspection and Test?
I think you will struggle to find anything with little/no experience.
For someone else, as a free worker - possibly.
Not many people will want to entrust you to test their work, so your best bet may be to do some free EICR's for friends/neighbours/family to get a little more experience.
You could then show the results to any prospective employers.
 28 August 2012 03:17 PM

rocknroll

do some free EICR's for friends/neighbours/family to get a little more experience.

LOL Well if you do that you wont need to work for anyone, you have gained the experience, get out there with all the rest of the self taught inspectors and testers that are cropping up and reap the rewards.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 30 August 2012 06:01 PM

krishanc

So is there a lot of work in the domestic sector for I&T? I am willing to do some free work for other electricans just to gain the experience, but not sure they would want to hand over work that they might loose out in the future? But I am unclear about my status to issue a certificate when I am not registered to some body like NICEIC KC
 30 August 2012 06:12 PM

OMS

Well, you are going to be fighting with the £70.00/house drive by merchants to start with - and there isn't a lot of EICR's about as people aren't moving about as much.

landlords simply don't want to pay at all in the rented sector

One things for sure - this time next year you won't be a millionaire

If I were you,I'd just go for it - if you know what you're doing, you don't need to have someone hold your hand - and working for free isn't kicks and giggles by a long chalk

You don't need any "status" - just get a pad of EICR's and decide if commercially, being in a scheme is worth while - i would say yes it is

I'm told NAPIT are good for small companies just doing I&T, EICR's etc

Regards

OMS

regards

Failure is always an option
 30 August 2012 06:41 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alanblaby

I don't think there is any market for domestic I&T.
Certainly not enough to earn a wage that could allow you to live.
I've done 2 EICR/PIRs in the last year, with one other enquiry about it ,who then didnt bother as he didnt want a thorough I&T.

I have done 5 or 6 'quick' look at old fuse boxes/wiring. and told them there is no point in doing a EICR, as there are so many points that would fail that it is not worth doing a full inspection, just get a new CU, and rectify the faults at the same time. I charge them £30 for this, and TBH, could give the exact same advice over the phone, as the Installations are always in a similar state - 3 to 5 circuits supplying the whole house, no earth on the lighting circuit, undersized bonding, if any at all etc.

If you can make a living doing domestic I&T, then you have found a niche that many others have not found.
Alan.
 30 August 2012 09:52 PM

slittle

I'd be concerned that if you've got your 2391 but don't work in the industry you may lack underpinning knowledge (but I could be wrong)

I've got a PIR on my desk at the moment as we are quoting for the remedials that is SO wrong I'm in two minds whether to advise the customer to follow the NIC complaints procedure as it was carried out by an AC and one of the code 2's is "voltage at meter 226v"

To my mind the two most important tools during an inspection are not a screwdriver and a meter. If you know what they are then you are well on your way to a good career and I wish you every success. If you don't then you really need some experience and help from a seasoned inspector before progressing

Stu
 31 August 2012 07:25 AM

krishanc

Thanks for the info

Originally posted by: OMS

Well, you are going to be fighting with the £70.00/house drive by merchants to start with - and there isn't a lot of EICR's about as people aren't moving about as much.

If I were you,I'd just go for it - if you know what you're doing, you don't need to have someone hold your hand - and working for free isn't kicks and giggles by a long chalk

You don't need any "status" - just get a pad of EICR's and decide if commercially, being in a scheme is worth while - i would say yes it is

Regards

OMS

regards

31 August 2012 07:25 AM

krishanc

Thanks for the info

Originally posted by: OMS

Regards

OMS

regards

31 August 2012 07:27 AM

krishanc

I am graduate electrical engineer, have all the theory, but that is of no use in the commerical sector where would struggle without some help for sure, unlike domestic.

Originally posted by: slittle

I'd be concerned that if you've got your 2391 but don't work in the industry you may lack underpinning knowledge (but I could be wrong)

I've got a PIR on my desk at the moment as we are quoting for the remedials that is SO wrong I'm in two minds whether to advise the customer to follow the NIC complaints procedure as it was carried out by an AC and one of the code 2's is "voltage at meter 226v"

To my mind the two most important tools during an inspection are not a screwdriver and a meter. If you know what they are then you are well on your way to a good career and I wish you every success. If you don't then you really need some experience and help from a seasoned inspector before progressing

Stu

31 August 2012 08:40 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: krishanc
Just got my 2391 cert. I dont work as a electrican yet but want to do I&T for domestic first, how can I get some company to offer me the chance, I have a limited company and insurance as well but not registered with a body like NICEIC KC

I was puzzling on the KC for a mo'

I would recommend a 5 day wonder course to become legit with registration as a domestic installer .......... or just simply just leg it in the meantime, like many others nowadays.

Regards
 31 August 2012 12:46 PM

krishanc

hI

What is the corse you are talking about?

I would recommend a 5 day wonder course to become legit with registration as a domestic installer .......... or just simply just leg it in the meantime, like many others nowadays.

Regards

31 August 2012 05:20 PM

weirdbeard

Just got my 2391 cert. I dont work as a electrican yet but want to do I&T for domestic first, how can I get some company to offer me the chance,

Where are you based?
 31 August 2012 07:31 PM

hifly

you could target thatched properties if you have any around your way, insurance compaies are now requiring an eicr before they will insure the house.

I have just finnished remedials in a thatched property, no regs given for any coded item and some should have not been coded at all, but to keep the insurance company happy the owner has had all items put "right" good for me but its not how i do business and I told them how wrong the report was before i quoted for the work.

There is a place for inspectors that can do the job properly and you can make money, I have yet to find anyone in my area i could recomend to do eicr's.

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
 04 September 2012 07:49 AM

krishanc

North Hertfordshire, close to beds

Originally posted by: weirdbeard

Just got my 2391 cert. I dont work as a electrican yet but want to do I&T for domestic first, how can I get some company to offer me the chance,

Where are you based?

04 September 2012 07:53 AM

krishanc

Hmmm, assume you are talking about an EICR given to you to put right.

Anyway, yes there are thatched cottages mainly in bedfordshire close to me, not sure how to approach it, not into cold calling, so maybe a leaflet drop or any other suggestion welcome.
KC

Originally posted by: hifly

you could target thatched properties if you have any around your way, insurance compaies are now requiring an eicr before they will insure the house.

I have just finnished remedials in a thatched property, no regs given for any coded item and some should have not been coded at all, but to keep the insurance company happy the owner has had all items put "right" good for me but its not how i do business and I told them how wrong the report was before i quoted for the work.

There is a place for inspectors that can do the job properly and you can make money, I have yet to find anyone in my area i could recomend to do eicr's.

04 September 2012 08:10 AM

Jaymack

Anyway, yes there are thatched cottages mainly in bedfordshire close to me, not sure how to approach it, not into cold calling, so maybe a leaflet drop or any other suggestion welcome.

Form etiquette requires bottom posting.

Not wishing to burst your bubble, but I think you'll find a problem if an insurance company is involved, they will probably state a preference for one of the scheme providers.

Regards
 04 September 2012 10:19 AM

krishanc

Originally posted by: Jaymack

Form etiquette requires bottom posting.

Not wishing to burst your bubble, but I think you'll find a problem if an insurance company is involved, they will probably state a preference for one of the scheme providers.

Regards

You are prob. correct, its the cost of registration Vs. income that stops me from doing it. NAPIT I believe are the cheapest, assume its still the same, 1 major and 1 minor job to be inspected by them?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.