IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Off Topic ................
Topic Summary: Anyone reccomend a good value laser printer ..................
Created On: 27 August 2012 03:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 August 2012 03:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dbullard

Hi all,

any forum members recommend a good value laser printer, Im currently running x 2 HP printers and the ink is costing me a small fortune, I know the cartridges can be more expensive for a laser printer but you get more for your money.

Regards

Daren

-------------------------
..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 27 August 2012 03:32 PM

slittle

We've got a lexmark.

It's colour and does double sided which saves a fortune in paper but it don't come cheap to run.

The toner costs about £300 per set of 4 and it's not long had a new transfer belt. Having said that it's built like a brick shed and has done well over 10000 pages since we brought it.

It's a lot faster than the inkjet as well, I've still got a little HP deskjet attached to my PC as a local printer as the lexmark is on the LAN but I tend to still print to the laser as it's thought about it, warmed up, printed and gone back to sleep before the inkjet has done a quarter of a page.

Stu
 27 August 2012 04:58 PM

davezawadi

I have found HP ones to be best, had various ones for 10 years. I have a 3600 colour one too, which is very good. If you really print a lot of pages, one the "office grade" ones is worth the extra money, they are cheaper per copy overall although a lot more to buy. I use recycled toner from 999 inks which has been very good so far. I do about 4000 - 5000 pages per year so the domestic types last me a few years. The HP printers have zero or a very short time to first print compared with all the others, so there is no waiting about. I get a few thousand pages for £25.00 or so of toner, not too bad (that is just ordinary text, if you go for blacker pages they cost more).

David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
 27 August 2012 06:02 PM

dbullard

Cheers guy's

Having just spent another £65.00 on ink today, im going to be looking at getting a laser after this lot runs almost out.

David the only HP3600 info I can find list it in the states, but I will look again.

Im averaging around 30 / 40 pages a week at the mo, but that will be increasing once I start the course I have booked and finished.

Kind Regards

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 27 August 2012 06:20 PM

dp11

Checkout Kyocera printers. The ones I have used have just worked. No hassles no paper jams. Very Very low running costs.
 27 August 2012 06:35 PM

dickllewellyn

I bought recently a little Samsung colour jobbies for £180 odd. I was getting fed up of constantly replacing colour ink cartridges due to using all the blue on certificates. I can't remember the model number off hand, but I remember it being good as the toner cartridge contained the drum or something, reducing consumables? It prints ice anyway, and so far seems cheaper than ink jet per page, certainly much quicker.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 27 August 2012 08:14 PM

Zs

Daren,
I was going to do exactly what you say and replace the printer when the ink ran out or it broke. It broke first.

I found the initial outlay on the actual laser printer, and the size of them, to be preventative so I'm still on a deskjet. this one is an HP 6500A (Separate cartridges for each colour) and it is fine. At least I can pile up a few sheets and leave it to scan or copy a few pages at a time. It's ok, just ok, but the wireless set up was easy to both computers. It does print fast but they don't tell you that these things take a while to think about it before they start churning out the pages.

For your course printing (what course?) I would suggest changing the settings to draft copy so as to preserve ink. There are also refill places but watch out for poor quality printing on your important pages. I used rubbish refills and all the ones which were running out for the college notes and good ones for the real printing.

They say ink costs more than champagne but I reckon I spend more on ink than on Chanel Chance and I use that every day.

Dick, that'll be a NAPIT logo you are printing then? I also used to run out of blue but I've ditched the logo since becoming a Limited company, and went for a grey-scale logo so that I can print B&W even if I am having an ink crisis. Tiny pale grey-scale list of qualificationsand memberships at the bottom of the headed paper, terms and conditions in pale grey on the back of quotes to save ink and paper. I notice the ink saving. Nobody has batted an eyelid except the polar bears, who like it.

I have also stopped printing a copy of certs and save them to PDF.

How long should we keep copy certs for? I'd like to get rid of some of my old files in favour of the space.

Zs
 27 August 2012 08:56 PM

GJH

Today i have just bought a Samsung CLX-3185FW 4 in 1 multifunction job from Staples.

The R.R.P was £320 got it for £243.00inc VAT

I have bought 2 x 4 laser cartridges at £49.99 each (£400), but as they had 20% off if you bought 2 lots and the printer i chose was the last one in the shop so they gave me another 15% everything.

Been playing with it tonight and its rapido!! the quality is good and my main work is printing quotes, invoices and copying test certs so it will do for me.

Also is a scanner, copier and Fax and has a 15 page automatic document feeder so i can nip off to make a drink whilst it copies/faxes for me.

I was the same as you, spending loads on ink and then after a while getting streaky printing - i thought i would splash out.
 27 August 2012 10:40 PM

Cremeegg

How long should we keep copy certs for? I'd like to get rid of some of my old files in favour of the space.

All mine are generated on the PC (either Excel or Word) and saved as such and also as pdf's. All are backed up onto a separate hard disk and also onto USB sticks held on different sites. Some on CD's as well. Not quite into trusting any "cloud" storage - most clouds I see are useless at storing things - all the wet stuff drops out of the bottom of them.

Anything paper based I scan and store.

Anything else paper based I keep for seven years - statute of limitations and all that.

Quite agree on greyscale for T&C and have made the previously dark grey boxes on some of my forms a lot lighter to save ink. Still keep some colour - it looks nicer and I take a perverse pride in a well designed and completed certificate. So many of the NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA forms are IMHO not very nice to look at.
 28 August 2012 12:27 AM

alancapon

I bought a Konica Minolta Magicolor 3730DN from www.oyyy.co.uk who are in Halifax. With the introductory toners, it cost me £118 delivered to the door complete with a three year manufacturers warranty. Replacement toners have recently cost £546 for a set of four, but these are the 5000 page toners. The colour printing is photo quality on plain paper. It has a duplex unit built in for double-sided printing and a network port. Mine is happily sat on the wireless router here (connected by a cat-5 cable), accessible from any pc that is allowed on the network.

I have no connection with Konica-Minolta or oyyy.co.uk except as a satisfied customer. The printer replaced an earlier (10 year old) Konica-Minolta, for which there were no Windows 7 drivers available.

Regards,

Alan.
 28 August 2012 10:12 AM

impvan

Im currently running x 2 HP printers and the ink is costing me a small fortune

You could look at 'continuous ink systems'. Cured my ink costs on a Canon machine.
 28 August 2012 11:47 AM

bajb

I binned inkjet and went for a decent colour laser a few months ago. Very pleased. Printerbase do good cashback deals with Brother. I went for MFC-9970CDW (duplex printer/scanner /copier).
http://www.printerbase.co.uk/brother-promotions.php
 28 August 2012 07:13 PM

Jaymack

I've had a Brother laser printer for 10 years now. I bought a replacement cartridge after the ink ran out. Now I buy the toner from the internet and re-cycle both cartridges, it could be nasty if it spilled on carpets etc., I refill in and on the sink area. I got rid of an inkjet colour printer because of the cost.

Regards
 01 September 2012 08:57 PM

GJH

I've just printed a 59 page document with mine! would have cost me £40 in ink on the old inkjet printer!
 03 September 2012 08:18 PM

baldelectrician

I bought one of THESE from ebay for £60 inc delivery 18 months ago

It still runs fine, but needs a clean (when I can be bothered), I have printed around 1800 pages and am still on the same toner cartridge- it shows at over 80% full still

It's a network printer- and is as good as others say.
Shop around and you will get a second hand one for a good price

baldelectrician.com
 06 September 2012 02:44 PM

24Hour

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal...-tesco-direct-1304510

£39 for a laser printer , well cheap.
hope this helps ya

Yes i do do 24/7 everyday of the FLAMIN year.
 06 September 2012 08:50 PM

KFH

Have a look at PCPRO.co.uk reviews for the pros and cons of lots of printers they have tested.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.