IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: recommend me a voltage/continuity tester that will withstand life on site....
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 August 2012 06:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 August 2012 08:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BrucieBonus

Hi everyone

Sorry for delay in replying - just been super, super busy with work.

anyway, I have just ordered myself a shiny new Fluke T5 600 - can't wait til it arrives!

many thanks for all your suggestions

Zs - I'm good thanks - how's the new job going?? Are you missing being on site? Last week I had to cut a floorboard near a toilet..... old man's house....... yeuch - all I could smell was burning urine! Lovely!
 30 August 2012 08:30 PM

slittle

I've got the martindale one, works fine for voltage. Two of my guys have the fluke ones (can't remember which model) and they have survived well in our world of muck and feathers.

Don't really do continuity, if it's got to that stage I've probably gone for the fluke DMM or the megger mft

Stu
 31 August 2012 04:20 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: BrucieBonus

So, tried the Steinel one

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Im...e_3/STCOMBI.JPG

So far so good - but now the catch for the batteries has busted and won't lock - so it won't work. Tried to repair it, but want it to be properly OK as my life might depend on it!

Originally posted by: Zs

For continuity, I use a steinel multi thing ( I don't know, it is black and has a button on it) but it does voltage and continuity etc. and I wish it only did continuity.

Hi BB, I use the steinel mentioned above, and I must say I have found it to be good and tough as old boots chucked in my tool box, no problems with the battery cover (though just discovered it's phase rotation function last week after a good few years of use! ). Zs mentions that a wish was it only did continuity, but if it's the same model then the unit will signal continuity in a circuit upto and including 0.5Mohm, which can give some perplexing results if trying to cont. check cables in situ! An old school battery and loud buzzer is best for informal continuity checks, especially if you are working alone.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.