Topic Title: Opinions
Topic Summary: Part P Notifiable
Created On: 17 August 2012 07:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 August 2012 07:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ebee

Eeh at my age I should a seen this one coming!

Been to take an initial peek.

The shower unit is mounted about a foot down from the 10 foot high ceiling - obvious a DIY job by the previous owner - you can see the "stop tap" halfway up the wall that would have been a flow knob for the original conventional shower now used as a water supply to the newer 8.5 kw unit. and it seems the water flow knob is playing up and a replacement not possible therefore the plumber gave him a price to replace with an equivalent model mounted at a more sensible height (which will mean new cable from pull switch to shower - 6.0 mm).

Old Wylex 8 way unit mostly inaccessible due to cupboard built around it and all plug in MCBs no RCD in sight.
Gas meter in same cupboard.

TNS supply to old MET (three hex bots) from MET via one 10.0mm earth cut at gas clamp then to CU - I didn`t ask where water stop tap was.

I mentioned part p, RCD, supp bonding & tests saying he needed an Electrician too and He told me that the plumber is getting his own electrician to do it. Fine I said so why do you want me to take a look. Oh well I mentioned about upgrading to a cheaper higher power shower that I`d seen for sale and he said I`d need an electrician to check to see if the existing is OK before he brings his own electrician into do it

I told him that the plumbers electrician should check this out including tests and issue a cert on completion and left him to it.

I am not making this up - I shoulda known

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 19 August 2012 09:54 AM

jcm256

I told him that the plumbers electrician should check this out including tests and issue a cert on completion and left him to it.

I am not making this up - I shoulda known

However, surly Mr EBee, is it not the case that your advice is a bit vague, if a completion certificate has to be issued , then a copy is required be sent under the P olicing rules, to the local BC.
Did you check if the plumber's electrician is able to do this? You should have also told him, if any testing has to be done, in the existing installation in connection with the changes(upgrades) , the correct course of action would be to inspect and test the installation (or parts thereof).And then furnish the clientr with an periodic inspection report",. It is important to remember that a certificate, can not be used for the state of health of the existing electrical installation (unless new, and compliant with present day requirements) So where does the client turn to for advise, a qualified experience electrician like yourself. Part of the job is to give free advise, and in this case maybe you may have got the periodic inspection report part of the job.
 19 August 2012 10:17 AM

ebee

" if a completion certificate has to be issued , then a copy is required be sent under the P olicing rules, to the local BC. "
Only if it does indeed become a notifiable job and the person doing the wiring is not in a scheme therefore dealing directly with building control.

I thought I was giving advice as to whether the plumber could only change a shower heater on a "like for like" basis (which I think we all agree is not notifiable) or if instead he might wish to put a larger shower in .

Seems instead the plumber will get his own Electrician to sort out the wiring side of the shower which is fair enough but then why, when the client says I would like a more powerfull shower because I`ve seen one advertised cheaply ! does the plumber then tell the client to get his own electrician in first to check the wiring is ok for it.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

19 August 2012 11:29 AM

dg66

Seems instead the plumber will get his own Electrician to sort out the wiring side of the shower which is fair enough but then why, when the client says I would like a more powerfull shower because I`ve seen one advertised cheaply ! does the plumber then tell the client to get his own electrician in first to check the wiring is ok for it.
This could be due to the plumbers electrician being a mate 'who knows lectrics'

Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 19 August 2012 03:45 PM

ebee

Exactly,
when I mentioned a "certificate" it was Oh yes he`s going to give me one and when I mentioned that if I were doing it I would change the MCB, add an RCD, check or do supp bond & water bond & redo gas bond and notify it, it was Oh yes he`s going to do all that .
So I asked again why was I there "Just to see if the cable is big enough before he gets his electrician in!"

Yer right.

Actually I`ll drop him a couple of leaflets and a couple of DVDs in . He might take a look at them and ask the right questions. He`s now aware of Part P which he was not before.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

IET » Wiring and the regulations » Opinions

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.