Increase font size
Topic Title: Arc flash gear idea
Topic Summary: help yourself and someone else
Created On: 09 August 2012 12:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 August 2012 12:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamieblatant

In light of the recent post regarding a flashover I have thought about putting togeather a kit for swicthing and tseting to contain the items I have chosen for my own companies arc flash kits that include

Hood
Flame proof balaclava / neck cover
Head tourch
Nomex top
Insulated gauntlets
Gauntlet over gloves

All housed in a metal box

Its not easy to find this stuuf as a package so ithought I would do it

I I would consider it moraly wrong to profit Its none profit and ill put them togeather and supply them via e bay or direct sale I intend to donate the small overhead cost to a charity I know of

Would anyone be intrested

-------------------------
Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 09 August 2012 03:13 PM

slittle

Jamie,

Look at your PM

Stu
 09 August 2012 08:51 PM

dlane

In my opinion, if I was specify clothing specifically for protecting against electric arcs, then I would choose to supply Indura Ultrasoft garments as appose to Nomex.

On a weight for weight basis Ultrasoft will out perform Nomex against an electric arc. Unless you have specific arc resistant Nomex where the fabric weave has been altered standard Nomex 220g/m^2 will break open at around 5 to 6 cal/cm^2. Ultrasoft will break open at double that.

Secondly molten metal will actually stick to Nomex and electric arcs do produce molten metal to some degree.

On a general note Ultrasoft will offer a higher comfort factor than Nomex and is often cooler to wear. It will also be more cost effective.

If there are other risks involved such as chemicals, extended flash fire etc then Nomex may offer an advantage in those situations. It all comes down to a specific risk assessment.

I have no affilation with Indura or Dupont or anyone who sells their products. I have just spent many years studying flame and arc resistant clothing for industrial use and arc protection systems and the above is just my opinion.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.