Increase font size
Topic Title: CE Sign off
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 August 2012 08:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 August 2012 08:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkyaj

I wonder if anyone can help me please? I am working along side an mechanical engineer who has been building/repairing machines all his life in the working environment.
My question is - both he and I would like to build a machine to sell to a client.

How can we apply a CE registration to it? I appreciate all materials have to be up to standards and that workmanship must not leave the machine in a dangerous condition of any shape or form.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thank you.
 02 August 2012 08:49 PM

weirdbeard

Hi sparkyaj, not got the link to hand but I looked it up before and I was under the impression that a CE marking was basically a self-certification system, ie. anyone can put the sticker on anything!
 02 August 2012 08:55 PM

daveparry1

That would seem to be the case Weirdbeard, judging by some of the carp we see with CE markings on!

Dave.
 02 August 2012 08:57 PM

hifly

this may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

-------------------------
Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
 02 August 2012 09:08 PM

sparkyaj

OK, thank you for the link - but how can we find out what rules apply to the build? I spoke to the ECA today, but they advised that it is more technical...

Thank you for your thoughts so far.
 03 August 2012 08:48 AM

iie63674

Originally posted by: sparkyaj

OK, thank you for the link - but how can we find out what rules apply to the build?

What kind of machine is it? Have you looked at the Machinery Directive? Have a look at http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise...machinery/index_en.htm and at the Commission Guide referred to on that page.
 03 August 2012 10:07 AM

Villars

This is the guidance notes document on the UK regulations that implement the Machinery directive: http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file52968.pdf
 03 August 2012 10:43 AM

Patnik

Greg Kervill's 'Practical Guide to the Low Voltage Directive' is a useful guide to CE compliance though it focuses on EN 60950 (IT equipment) and is now rather dated. It's still worth a read (but maybe not worth £50).
 03 August 2012 11:55 AM

haguetim

The CE mark is a wide ranging thing, it encompasses safety (Low Voltage Directive), the Machinery Directive, Electromagnetic Compatability etc. You cannot just stick a CE sticker on your equipment without good grounds to expect your equipment to pass. If you do you are on extremely dodgy ground.

Firstly carry out an assessment on the machine you are proposing to build and find out what parts of the standard are applicable, probably LVD and EMC. As you are building the machine document everything, ensure that the parts you buy are CE marked (a common mistake to buy cheap parts that have not been tested), finally remember CE + CE does not equal pass, just because you have built your machine using CE tested parts does not mean that it will pass...
It sounds daunting but it does not have to be. With good engineering paractice, a dollop of common sense and reference to the applicable standards you should not have a real problem.
Look up a Technical Construction File on the net..

If you need some further help, PM me

Tim
 03 August 2012 01:10 PM

iie63674

If it's a machine, it needs to comply with the Machinery Directve!
More accurately, if you're in the UK, the Supply of Machinery Safety Regulations 2008.
 03 August 2012 02:57 PM

davezawadi

A CE mark is a certificate from the manufacturer (signed by the responsible person representing the company) which certifies that the item meets all of the applicable legislation relevant to it. CE marking is necessary for items put on general sale, and may not be necessary for custom items, where the purchaser and manufacturer agree a specification together and accept joint responsibility. For example ships and power stations are not CE marked as such, although they meet many varied pieces of legislation. The greatest difficulty you may face is the EMC directive, because testing is difficult and expensive for one offs, and simply using compliant parts is a long way from ensuring compliance. That said there are actually few problems with much imported stuff, lots of which is not compliant with EMC regs. The document you need to make is called a Technical Construction File, where you keep information as to how the machine is made and how you expect to achieve compliance with the regulations, which may be simple by using other CE marked parts, or complex by testing as appropriate along with the measured results.

I hope that helps a little.

-------------------------
David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
myurl
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.