Increase font size
Topic Title: Keeping records of certificates
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 August 2012 02:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 August 2012 02:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

misterben

Hi all,

I have my annual inspection soon, was just wondering how people store certificates? I do all of mine on Easycert , have them backed up regularly , is there a need to print them out? I generally send them via PDF to a customer.
I know the governing bodies would like us to print them on their pads but it all costs money.
As long as they are traceable surely this is ok?

regards
Misterben
 02 August 2012 03:03 PM

daveparry1

I don't use any of that software stuff Misterben, I prefer handwriting them, the copy then just goes into a ring-binder with a list on the back of the cert. pad. I also write the BC notification number on the top of the cert. copy, simples! All of the niceic inspectors have always been more than happy with that system, I do use the niceic pads and they do of course cost us money but in comparison with the cost of software I don't think the cost is prohibitive, depends how much work you do though I suppose,

Dave.
 02 August 2012 04:33 PM

MrP

Keeping records can by any means and an electronic version is acceptable
Keep an up to date paper index and offer this up for verification
Keep your files backed up
Cross referencing
In a previous life I used to cross reference the DB schedule with the associated cert number and for domestics the BC submittal number

MrP
 02 August 2012 05:04 PM

sparkiemike

I keep all mine in PDF format in a folder on a computer that is regularly backed up.

At inspection time these are available for the assessor to inspect using my PC/laptop.

The file names are the sequential certificate number and a short description, the BC notification number is also displayed on the 1st page of the certficate

The work that is offered for the assessor to inspect , I have hard copies of those certs printed as they like to hold on to them during the site visits.
 06 August 2012 10:01 PM

GJH

I keep copies of mine in a ring binder under 3 different categories.

Installation certs, EICR's and Minor works certs as per the NAPIT forms.

Need a bigger folder though! :-)
 06 August 2012 10:14 PM

sparkingchip

This very evening I stopped on the way home and bought a portable hard drive, everything is on paper in folders, in the last year however I have been using the NAPIT Desktop certificate software with it backed up on my laptop and as of ten minutes ago on a portable hard drive as well.

The guy in Currys tried to persuade me I don't want a portable hard drive, instead I should pay a subscription and store everything on the Cloud as if my house burns down I will lose the paper certificates, laptop and portable hard drive. However I don't currently plan to pay out for the Cloud year on year for storing certificates and copies of invoices etc. May be some time, but not yet!

Andy
 06 August 2012 10:20 PM

jamieblatant

Dropbox

Google it

Never look back

-------------------------
Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 06 August 2012 10:23 PM

John Peckham

I do all my certs. and reports on Tysoft Easy Cert. I save them as PDFs on my desk top, then as Sparkingchip on a portable hard drive which I back up on to my lap top. When my NICEIC man comes for his annual visit he scans through the certs. on the lap top. Picking out a few to scrutinise. I have copies stored in 3 places belt, braces and cycle clips.

Most of my clients prefer electronic copies so I Email them a PDF or send them a disk. If they want a printed copy then I print them off on my laser printer on plain paper. I don't buy buy pads of forms anymore.

I have Amtech Fast test but don't use it as Easycert is more intuitive and easier to use.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 06 August 2012 10:49 PM

patt2

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

This very evening I stopped on the way home and bought a portable hard drive, everything is on paper in folders, in the last year however I have been using the NAPIT Desktop certificate software with it backed up on my laptop and as of ten minutes ago on a portable hard drive as well.

The guy in Currys tried to persuade me I don't want a portable hard drive, instead I should pay a subscription and store everything on the Cloud as if my house burns down I will lose the paper certificates, laptop and portable hard drive. However I don't currently plan to pay out for the Cloud year on year for storing certificates and copies of invoices etc. May be some time, but not yet!

Andy

A way around this is to save to a folder and email it to yourself, then no matter what happens to your pc , house or anything else, all you have to do is borrow a pc and open your email and there they are.
 06 August 2012 11:28 PM

sparkingchip

I have just signed up to Dropbox to try it out. when I did my Solar PV City and Guilds one of the guys was singing its praise, he said he does a quotes on site using his Ipad, then puts it into Dropbox and emails a copy to the prospective client.

Andy
 07 August 2012 09:24 PM

jamieblatant

I pad , I phone , windows pc

Never short of any invoice or tecnical document , work at any pc , never lose a document

It's perfect , reduced my workload by a lot

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 07 August 2012 09:43 PM

505diff

If your have the Easycert Customer Care package you get on line back up, you also need it if you use the Iphone app to transfer it from the device to PC
 08 August 2012 07:20 PM

Rpchild

Just had my annual assessment yesterday, hand wriitten certs with BC number at top left. The assessor is happy with that.
Robert
 08 August 2012 07:33 PM

daveparry1

That's exactly what I do Robert, never had any problems with niceic visits,

Dave.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.