Increase font size
Topic Title: Star delta timer.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 July 2012 09:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 July 2012 09:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hertzal123

Wired a sd starter starter today and the timing module had time adjustment for transition between star and delta( in ms) as well as the normal start/run timer in seconds.I was under the impression that the transition was supposed to be as fast as possible,so why the time adjustment?
Regards,hz.
 31 July 2012 10:32 PM

RookieSpark

Normally the delay timer enables the motor time to run up to full rpm speed. When this speed is achieved it can make use of the full load power available in the delta configuration. If the motor was given the power available in delta before it got up to speed it would have this power in its windings which it couldn't really use. This power would be wasted heat which the windings would have to try and dissipate. Overheating the motors windings is not desirable. So the delay timer can be used to ensure the delta contactor is not brought in until the motor has run up to normal speed, once at this speed the delta contactor is brought in and the motor now has available the full load power.

Edited: 31 July 2012 at 10:52 PM by RookieSpark
 01 August 2012 04:15 AM

aiza

Hi,

Why star delta timer required for motor? what does it do?

Wink-
Aiza
 01 August 2012 04:48 AM

jleltd

The dwell time between star and delta is to help any mechanical interlocks between the star and delta contactors not jamming up also stops the risk of the delta and star contactors being made together for a minute period on the changeover. With both electrical and mechanical interlock this should not be a problem though.

-------------------------
James
 01 August 2012 06:30 AM

ebee

Timers! what luxuries!

I used to work in a factory where the operators had to set the lever to "Start" then wait for motor to get to speed then select lever to "Run" on lathes

Oh happy days.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 01 August 2012 07:44 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: ebee
I used to work in a factory where the operators had to set the lever to "Start" then wait for motor to get to speed then select lever to "Run" on lathes

Probably using Ye Olde, Ellison oil filled starter with the drop tank, down for Start and oop for Run. The days of the salt water starter, hand wound down for 3 phase, wound rotor starting, sometimes automatic.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Regards
 01 August 2012 07:59 AM

Ricicle

I liked one of our old rubber mixers that had a slip-ring motor. The resistance of the rotor being gradually altered by turning a wheel which controlled a resistor bank immersed in oil. Happy days !

Empty barrels make the most noise.
 01 August 2012 07:44 PM

slittle

I've got a grain fan that's started like that.

It's been there years and years and still behaves nicely.

I can see the day coming when just as the silo's are filled up with warm grain that needs cooling, either the motor or more likely the starter will refuse to play nicely.

Stu
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.