Increase font size
Topic Title: Notifiable?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 July 2012 09:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 July 2012 09:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Hi all,
I just need a little reminder please! Are minor works outside notifiable? One job was replacing a feed to a garden shed & workshop which was in t/e, now replaced with swa (taking same route)and HiTuff. The other is repair of a damaged swa cable which will need a resin type joint box (gardeners rotovator!) I know minor works in special locations are notifiable but can't remember whether outside too, most of the outside work I do is new circuits so are notifiable anyway,

Dave.
 29 July 2012 11:43 AM

perspicacious

"The other is repair of a damaged swa cable which will need a resin type joint box (gardeners rotovator!)"

I'd be concerned that the cable remains vulnerable.........

Regards

BOD
 29 July 2012 12:02 PM

Legh

There was something about the depth of buried cables where the land is tilled/plowed (1m).. Possibly a little excessive in this case. Nevertheless, the buried cable is obviously not buried deep enough if it can be affected by a rotorvator.
I have, in the past, redirected such cables where this has happened and would then be notifiable.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 29 July 2012 01:31 PM

daveparry1

i haven't seen the damaged cable job yet but the gardener said it was only a couple of inches deep. He had a "word" with his client who has agreed for him to dig a trench for the cable, i've told him I also want half a paving slab covering the joint box.
So, notifiable or not chaps?

Dave.
 29 July 2012 01:46 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Not notifiable a MWC will suffice.

"Notification is not required if wiring to outdoor equipment is not a new circuit and you do not have to make a big hole in the building and compromise the envelope."

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 29 July 2012 01:49 PM

daveparry1

Many thanks Rocknroll,

Dave.
 29 July 2012 02:09 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: daveparry1

Are minor works outside notifiable? One job was replacing a feed to a garden shed & workshop which was in t/e, now replaced with swa (taking same route)and HiTuff.

Hi Dave, this might seem picky I know but according to the part p doc
table 1 and note (a), where you are replacing a cable that has a different current carrying capacity to the original I would say strictly speaking it's notifiable, taking for example if the original cable was a 2.5mm t+e clipped direct from 4D5 and a 2.5mm SWA clipped direct from 4D4A there's an amp difference!
 29 July 2012 02:21 PM

daveparry1

Thanks Weirdbeard but as i've improved the installation (full sized cpc) I think I might overlook that little technicality!

Dave.
 29 July 2012 07:40 PM

perspicacious

This may seem a little perverse, but what are the reasons behind NOT notifying when you are in a CPS, other than the ~£1.50 a CPS charges?

Regards

BOD
 29 July 2012 07:51 PM

Zs

reason 1) It is a boring administrative hassle and life is short.

reason 2) It would appear that the governing bodies have been coerced into giving details of notified work to the inland revenue, who are biting at our heels this year and sending politely masked threats to us. We enjoy our privacy.

reason 3) When the customer receives their certificate they phone us to ask what it is that they have received. They invariably have to leave a message and we have to call them back about it. Which is a boring administrative hassle.

And so on.

Zs
 29 July 2012 08:17 PM

daveparry1

All good enough reasons there Zs!

BOD, no real reason and if in doubt I usualy notify, I was just unsure whether it was necessary for outside MWC's, I realise now I should have just looked it up in the big book instead of wasting everyones time but I didn't consider it that silly a question compared to some of the things that get asked on here!

Dave.
 30 July 2012 11:51 AM

BigRed

What job oh hang on, this isn't the cash in hand thread.....
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.