Topic Title: People moaning about wind turbines
Topic Summary: a simple solution
Created On: 10 July 2012 10:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 July 2012 10:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

djrichiet

All we need to do is find everyone who moans about wind turbines, go round their properties and disconnect their electricity. I'm sure that will take more than enough load off the grid to be able to remove all the turbines around the UK.

Came to thought earlier as I was having a convo with someone moaning, typical 'nomby' until I pointed out how much their 10.5kW electric shower uses. And they have a combi boiler which would run a nice thermostatic shower for a lot less cost. Some people just dont get it

-------------------------
From SMD's to 132kV... ive had a go!

Richard Talmage, LCGI EngTech TMIET
 11 July 2012 12:38 AM

djrichiet

(i meant 'nimby' - typo... blame the JD!)

From SMD's to 132kV... ive had a go!

Richard Talmage, LCGI EngTech TMIET
 11 July 2012 07:03 AM

ebee

Not unsimilar thing a while back.
People moaning about mobile phone masts asked to sign a petition.
Also asked for a contact number - lots of them were mobile numbers.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 11 July 2012 06:39 PM

sparkingchip

Where do you draw the line, the Jurassic coast could be filled with them, perhaps a Chesil Beach could be turned into a power station, it is under consideration isn't?

Andy
 11 July 2012 06:57 PM

FizzleBang

I was walking along our coast with the dog this afternoon and could plainly see the 3 separate developments of Wallney Island, Barrow.

They aren't exactly in my back yard and not really an eyesore, though they do obstruct the horizon on which we can occasionally spot the Isle of Man on a rare clear day.

My only real objection to them is that they are a non-solution to a very real problem. They cost us a lot of money for no real benefit.
The only benefactors are the Directors and Shareholders of the vulgar consortia that install and operate them.

But don't worry about my opinion. Just worry about the time we are wasting in getting the next generation of nuclear power stations up and running. They are the solution. They will happen. And by the time they do, these off shore wind farms will have long since crumbled into the sea. No more than a hazard to shipping and a monument to political ignorance and arrogance....

"I learned very early the difference between knowing
the name of something and knowing something". - Richard P. Feynman
 11 July 2012 08:56 PM

andardry

Not nuclear as in fission.. but Cold Fusion
Yes it is real,
Spawar, Nasa, MIT, Boeing, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Shell, to name a few are all involved in developing cold fusion solutions.
Rossi and Defkalion anticipate having their first reactors (thermal energy only) on the market in 6-8 months

Search LENR,

Andrew
 11 July 2012 10:35 PM

FizzleBang

I must admit I'm behind the curve with cold fusion. The last I heard of it was when Fleischman and co suffered from premature enunciation

A bit like them there Boson Bozos at CERN just at the moment.....

11 July 2012 10:58 PM

sparkingchip

The important bits of that Swiss set up was made in Brum!

Andy
 11 July 2012 11:00 PM

FizzleBang

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

The important bits of that Swiss set up was made in Brum!

Andy

The coffee machine??

12 July 2012 08:53 AM

tomgunn

Here we go... the green party has arrived to create a better world for us by assuming that wind farms will save our planet! The point is that each stupid wind turbine crap that is built it costs a fortune and they don't work in certain speeds and it was calculated that it would take some 2500 of them to cancel out having one nuclear power station... they wont last that long and to be honest it blows my mind that people bang on about saving this planet... theres more pollution coming from the volcanoes that can never be stopped and also the carbon that is both trapped in the seas and also from cows farts! Maybe we should have some demonstrations and badger the parliament to have all cows fitted with plugs!!

Get a grip world... there isnt any global warming other than the suns getting hotter and the co founder of Greenpeace was in a documentary sometime ago saying that he had many regrets about Greenpeace! For pity's sake just build lots of nuclear power station , I actually worked at the one on the west coast / Hinkley Point B power plant, get everyone to change from using gas to electric and then we can be self sufficient. Its cleaner than transporting all of that gas from around the world and for gods sake.... cant we build them ourselves??? Why do we have to have / rely on the bloody French or Germans to build them for us? The thing is we have lots of illegal immigrants to do this for us at a very cheap rate thank you very much!!

regards....

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 12 July 2012 09:54 AM

OMS

Get a grip world... there isnt any global warming other than the suns getting hotter and the co founder of Greenpeace was in a documentary sometime ago saying that he had many regrets about Greenpeace!

It's the precautionary principle Tom - we simply don't know - but by the time we do, it's probably too late - so we do it just in case ?

get everyone to change from using gas to electric and then we can be self sufficient.

that of course discounts the supply of nuclear fuel in world markets - we aren't self sufficient and we have the legacy of the fuel to deal with as well - there is still no long term depository for it

cant we build them ourselves??? Why do we have to have / rely on the bloody French or Germans to build them for us?

Because it's a long time since you worked on nuclear stations Tom - we simply haven't invested in the skills needed to build them - the french however did - they can deploy almost off the shelf designs at short (relatively) notice. There are plenty of UK engineering firms in bed with EDF and and other alliance partners - try a Google for Sofinel for example

Wind power isn't supposed to be a complete solution - it's part of a mixed back of renewable technologies that all have a part to play.

If you want self sufficiency, lets start digging coal up again - I shan't be doing that though - it's a bloody awful job, trust me.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 12 July 2012 10:37 AM

tomgunn

OMS... that was a very well written reply!

regards....

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

12 July 2012 10:45 AM

FizzleBang

Originally posted by: OMS

It's the precautionary principle Tom - we simply don't know - but by the time we do, it's probably too late - so we do it just in case ?

OMS

I'm no expert but have been following the GW story since before the mainstream press and politicians got hold of it.

If you believe the main GW proponents and the good old Hockey Stick then warming is on an exponential trend.

And even if the Europe and the US ceased all CO2 production overnight the rest of the world is still producing sufficient CO2 to keep the warming trend going upwards.

So, no, in the real world there is no point playing with wind turbines. They are the solution to precisely nothing.

12 July 2012 10:46 AM

OMS

then I thank you for your comments, Tom -

Regards

OMS

12 July 2012 12:50 PM

Jaymack

See the video and read all about it, download the free book - Sustainable Energy - without the hot air.

http://octopus.caltech.edu/ccs...avid-mackay/index.html
 12 July 2012 01:14 PM

OMS

I would be very wary of David Macays book as a sole reference source - read it by all means, but read other things as well.

regards

OMS

12 July 2012 01:36 PM

AJJewsbury

If you want a (long) read and want to know (one way) that things could add up, try the full Zero Carbon Britain report: http://www.zerocarbonbritain.org/

- Andy.
 12 July 2012 02:31 PM

Jaymack

David Mackay mentioned in the video about the tranportation of ice to the UK from the north, before refrigerators. In the same vein,another source that could be of benefit to the UK in the long term, could be the Iceland volcano power link. Stuff the Arabs!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17694215
 12 July 2012 10:14 PM

walterhschaefer

One sure way to stop many people from moaning about local windturbines is to let them invest into the scheme. Once they become aware of the financial benefit available, a change of mind will happen very quickly. Let`s all become "Windfarmers"!!!
 12 July 2012 10:26 PM

tomgunn

You see... its all about money hunny!!

regards...

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

IET » Wiring and the regulations » People moaning about wind turbines

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.