Increase font size
Topic Title: Sealing conduit systems in an ATEX environment
Topic Summary: Product name and where to purchase to seal off conduit
Created On: 04 July 2012 11:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 July 2012 11:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

markthemariner

Could anybody recommend a product that would meet the requirements to seal conduit ends within an ATEX zone 2 environment. I have been involved in industries with ATEX equipment/zones for a number of years. However I have never had to seal conduit runs within zoned areas. I have done a bit of research and can't really find anything that is used. Having spoken to some contractors they have used a resin, blocked the conduit poured to resin in to set. They could not confirm if what they used was certified. However I'm not sure if there is a product of this type that is.

Could anybody help me if they know if a product (it's name) that can be used and where to get it from, a wholesaler, RS etc.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark.
 04 July 2012 11:36 AM

rocknroll

Been a long time but there are a number of certified resins specifically designed for this purpose and they all came out of the '3M Scotchcast' stable and generally available, they came in numbers and I think number 4 is probably the specification you might require but enquiry would be needed..

Should be available through larger electrical wholesalers.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 04 July 2012 at 11:48 AM by rocknroll
 04 July 2012 11:44 AM

neilparsons

You need a compound filled stopper box to seal the ends of the conduit, try Peppers or Raxton. You may struggle to get them off the shelf at most wholesalers, not as many people install conduit in hazardous areas these days.
 04 July 2012 12:22 PM

OMS

I agree, for conduit and cables you need a conduit compound filled stopper box - you may also need to check the cable stranding/filling isn't providing a gas path and the cable outer can be effectively sealed.

Just putting resin in the conduit isn't likely to be acceptable

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 04 July 2012 04:39 PM

Fm

google rise sealing kits
 05 July 2012 03:15 PM

markthemariner

Cheers fellas.

Your advice and suggestions has been excellent. I agree I would stay well away from conduit in an ATEX envrionment. This is the first instance in 20 years I have seen it that needed to be dealt with.

I did manage to get in touch with someone from 3M Scotchguard. They do a resin that meets all the requirements that are needed for the job in question. They even sent me electronic documentation that confirms the resin is suitable for an ATEX environment.

I did check out the rise seal kits as well, an excellent product that I will be keeping a note of for the future. I can see me using this a lot in the job I am in currently.

Thanks again. There is some great advice and expertise on this forum and within the IET.
 06 July 2012 01:04 AM

stableford

Although not an ATEX enviroment, the north american Class, and Division system regularly uses conduit. In Alberta its part of the additional petrochemical regs to the wiring code to install double seals.
1 being the seal on the device, the other being an inline conduit seal.
Poured in and permanent.

regards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.