Topic Title: PAT testing an electric shower
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 July 2012 10:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 January 2013 06:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

iskra

For the Landlords out there. Acts that do apply are:- Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 sect 11, Consumer Protection Act 1987, Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and the Housing Health and Safety Rating System part of the Housing Act. This HHSRS gives local authorities powers to issue enforcing orders. That excludes those extra bits for HMOs. All about being a dutyholder and having duties of care that to provide a safe installation and appliances throughout the tenancy, PUWER EAW etc, has been already mentioned of course.

Gary
 06 January 2013 06:25 PM

jsa986

Originally posted by: alanblaby

Hmm, In-service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment is not just for 'portable' equipment.

From the IEE code of conduct:

'What should be maintained. - ......other than the fixed installation, all electrical equipment... whether permanently connected or connected by a plug and socket outlet, should be inspected and tested with the recommendations contained in this code of practice."

The next page gives a few diagrams of equipment required to be inspected, among them are: Pillar drill, toilet hand dryer, fixed air-conditioning unit, washing machine and many other examples.

A fair point but In the context of the OP's question i suggest the electrical shower is part of the fixed wiring. What about ovens, I think a common sense approach is needed here. It is genrally accepted that items with a plug on get PAT tested out in the real world, Theres a reason why The name Portable Appliance Came about. Im not questions what is in the IEE code of practice, just saying on balance in real world scenarios the distinction is made on the "has it got a plug on it"

-------------------------
www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 06 January 2013 06:30 PM

perspicacious

"A fair point but In the context of the OP's question i suggest the electrical shower is part of the fixed wiring. What about ovens, I think a common sense approach is needed here."

The CoP has lots of pretty pictures now to support the text......

Regards

BOD
IET » Wiring and the regulations » PAT testing an electric shower

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.