Increase font size
Topic Title: Trading standards in Scotland
Topic Summary: New "Trusted trader" concept
Created On: 28 June 2012 02:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 June 2012 02:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Jaymack

I have had a letter from my local trading standards in Scotland, asking for my participation in this "Trusted Trader, for the annual sum of £195!, and to see how it works at the link at the bottom.

I can see this as benefit to other tradesmen, such as garden services and chimney sweeps, but not for electricians who are registered. We have all sorts climbing on the bandwagon now - Trustmark etc. etc., this is my reply to their letter. Scottish readers who are registered, take note!

Quote: -
There is obviously a need, to control the standards of those who service the public, in building trades etc. As a registered electrical contractor however, I see many areas where ****** Council can be pro-active in reducing the number of rogue traders carrying out electrical work, including inspection and testing on properties, aided both by ****** Council and local property letting agencies. From my experience, it appears that there is nobody who is qualified in ****** Council, to oversee the mandatory electrical "inspection" certificates, produced by electrical individuals and companies for premises where food is prepared and sold, including mobile catering vans, and also for rental accommodation!

I am already assessed annually by my particular organisation, I see no point in paying for another body in this instance. Further, any exclusion of electrical companies already registered, is likely to be challenged as a restrictive practice, by the electrical organisations such as NAPIT, ECA, SELECT and the NICIEC, as an attempt to create a closed shop for this ****** Council initiative.

Part P has been introduced in England and Wales, in an attempt to curtail the activities of rogue traders in the electrical domestic contracting industry, this has achieved some success and is under continuing improvement, it's overdue in Scotland! See http://www.planningportal.gov....r/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf.

I note also that your list of "trader approval schemes" only includes the NICEIC for electrical work, I suggest that you get informed, by seeing the U.K.A.S. site, for a list of accredited electrical organisations. Local authorities may not state a preference for any particular organisation in this case. See the web site - www.ukas.com/ End of Quote.

The local trading standards letter refers to the following site as the example, I believe Dundee has pioneered this scheme. Search for a business: -

http://www.trustedtrader.info/
 28 June 2012 02:35 PM

Cremeegg

Many Councils in E&W have been running such schemes for years under various guises. All involve paying a fee (similar to the one quoted) which is generally about half that of the more commercial scams like Checkatrade, Rated People etc etc etc. Most if not all involve getting CRB checked as well.

A plumber friend of mine does quite well out of his listing with his county council which almost makes me tempted.

Conversely many TS Depts see this as a good way of generating income - I know one lady whose job in her local TS Dept was entirely funded by the income she generated. Quite an incentive for her to get customers to cover her £30k plus on-costs. Whether it helped any customers not get ripped off is another matter.
 29 June 2012 02:18 AM

DOUGIE1000

T/Son't be getting my £, ill let you know if it filters down this way of Scotland Jaymack

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 30 June 2012 11:25 AM

Zoro

Maybe Trading Standards have decided that as the recent Inquiry by the DCLG Commons Select Committe has found a conflict of interest between between Membership of Part P Schemes, and public safety that they should not be relied on.
 01 July 2012 11:06 AM

sparkingchip

I was told that locally there was a multi agency vehicle check, the police stopped vehicles and they checked the tyres, tax, MOT etc. Customs were sniffing around diesel tanks and questions were being asked about waste licences.

Much to the annoyance of some of those stopped Trading Standards it was reported used it as a event to promote their Trust a Trader scheme, the principle of detained by the Police whilst someone try's to sell you membership of a scheme did not go down well.

Andy
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.